FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riley Zayas

Quote from: bleedpurple on April 10, 2023, 10:44:49 AM
UW-W 2023 Commit Show

https://twitter.com/WarhawkFootball/status/1645426242043412480?s=20

This is awesome. I love that UWW does this! Always confused by the schools who tell me that it would be a "MAJOR" NCAA violation if a coach retweets one of my articles featuring a commit or if the school's twitter account likes/retweets something involving a player who is not currently on campus. Wish more programs did this across D3 sports.
Proverbs 21:31. D3hoops.com WBB Top 25 voter. On the UMHB beat as the managing editor of TrueToTheCru.com, covering everything in CRU athletics. Read my blog, The Scoop on D3 Women's Hoops. Find it on the D3hoops.com Daily Dose.

hazzben

Quote from: OzJohnnie on April 05, 2023, 08:40:29 PM
We used to play creampuffs for our out-of-conference games, a good strategy for a long time, but we looked at the last 15 or more years and we saw teams like UWW approaching the non-conference schedule as an opportunity to grow through stressing the system, rather than as little better than a scrimmage.  We've steadily increased the quality of our non-conference competition and it's helped our squad improve.  For the national competition that D3 is now, it seems the best way to be nationally competitive - as difficult as it is to succeed with that challenge.

Dunno.   It's a tough call.  But you've got the beat the best to be the best.  And taking on the best during the regular season when there is still an opportunity to improve seems advantageous over the lose-and-done scenario of the post-season.  We'll see over the next few seasons.  Maybe the nationally competitive teams will all cycle back to easy non-conference schedules now.

I think this has as much to do with who is willing to schedule SJU, as it does SJU wanting to go out and schedule really tough teams. In the last 20-25 years the gap between the top 10 (even top 15) and teams in the 30-60 range has widened considerably IMO. Rightly or wrongly, if you start showing you're a year in/year out threat to go to the semi's or compete for a Stagg, there are simply a lot of schools that won't pick up the phone when you call.

Bethel has no game week 1, and Wartburg for their first game (who will have a game under their belts). Never an easy task, but especially in a year when we will have a brand new QB under center. With a goal of playing for the MIAC title, that means you're hoping to play SJU twice, Wartburg, UWEC, an improving Augsburg, GAC, and Concordia. That's a pretty good slate as it stands. I've liked that we've had the western WIAC schools in the mix. UWRF, UWEC, and UWP are geographically logical and a solid test. But case in point, I don't think it would serve Bethel if they started this year Wart, @SJU, @UWW/NCC, GAC. Especially in a year when they have no mid-season bye to get health and have a brand new QB. Other's opinions may differ.

I can empathize with where UWW and UMHB are on this though. Bethel has plenty of schools who won't answer, but I'm sure the list is not as long as it for the consistent top dogs.

02 Warhawk

UW-W 2023 Commit Show

First time I've watched one of these....great stuff. Lots to be excited about for the Warhawks. Love to see we're still stealing kids from IL. Very impressive pipeline we still have down there.

When should we expect the Transfer Show?  ;)

colinsteinke

Both Defensive and Offensive Coordinator roles posted as internal roles on the UWW website.

https://www.uww.edu/employment/academic-staff-non-instructional/posting?listing=2383

Anyone have insight into what's up? I assume they're re-appointments given the internal nature.

colinsteinke

Quote from: hazzben on April 10, 2023, 11:29:53 AM
Quote from: OzJohnnie on April 05, 2023, 08:40:29 PM
We used to play creampuffs for our out-of-conference games, a good strategy for a long time, but we looked at the last 15 or more years and we saw teams like UWW approaching the non-conference schedule as an opportunity to grow through stressing the system, rather than as little better than a scrimmage.  We've steadily increased the quality of our non-conference competition and it's helped our squad improve.  For the national competition that D3 is now, it seems the best way to be nationally competitive - as difficult as it is to succeed with that challenge.

Dunno.   It's a tough call.  But you've got the beat the best to be the best.  And taking on the best during the regular season when there is still an opportunity to improve seems advantageous over the lose-and-done scenario of the post-season.  We'll see over the next few seasons.  Maybe the nationally competitive teams will all cycle back to easy non-conference schedules now.

I think this has as much to do with who is willing to schedule SJU, as it does SJU wanting to go out and schedule really tough teams. In the last 20-25 years the gap between the top 10 (even top 15) and teams in the 30-60 range has widened considerably IMO. Rightly or wrongly, if you start showing you're a year in/year out threat to go to the semi's or compete for a Stagg, there are simply a lot of schools that won't pick up the phone when you call.

Bethel has no game week 1, and Wartburg for their first game (who will have a game under their belts). Never an easy task, but especially in a year when we will have a brand new QB under center. With a goal of playing for the MIAC title, that means you're hoping to play SJU twice, Wartburg, UWEC, an improving Augsburg, GAC, and Concordia. That's a pretty good slate as it stands. I've liked that we've had the western WIAC schools in the mix. UWRF, UWEC, and UWP are geographically logical and a solid test. But case in point, I don't think it would serve Bethel if they started this year Wart, @SJU, @UWW/NCC, GAC. Especially in a year when they have no mid-season bye to get health and have a brand new QB. Other's opinions may differ.

I can empathize with where UWW and UMHB are on this though. Bethel has plenty of schools who won't answer, but I'm sure the list is not as long as it for the consistent top dogs.

Unless the playoffs expand, I do think we'll see more people willing to play these schools as time goes on, as the at large bids are harder and harder to come by and SOS matters. Teams that are traditionally the teams in the playoffs looking at the at large bids (John Carroll for instance) are getting more willing to allow their non-conference game to be one that makes them better and ticks their SOS up. A 2 loss John Carroll team when those losses are to UWW and UMU might have a decent shot of getting in.

emma17

UW-W 2023 Commit Show

Now we're talking. This is great Bleed and the both of you were terrific. I'm assuming Coach Rindahl gave the go ahead and I'm thankful for it. We realize things can change.

My favorite Bleed line: On Justin Kroll- "He also does Judo and Jujitsu- I didn't even know you needed that stuff when you're 6'4 325"

bleedpurple

Quote from: emma17 on April 11, 2023, 12:57:05 PM
UW-W 2023 Commit Show

Now we're talking. This is great Bleed and the both of you were terrific. I'm assuming Coach Rindahl gave the go ahead and I'm thankful for it. We realize things can change.

My favorite Bleed line: On Justin Kroll- "He also does Judo and Jujitsu- I didn't even know you needed that stuff when you're 6'4 325"

Thank you for your kind words, Emma!!

New Tradition

Quote from: emma17 on April 11, 2023, 12:57:05 PM
UW-W 2023 Commit Show

I can't recommend that stuff enough--at any size.  It's the best thing I've done post-football aside from starting a family. 
I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ

'95 Blugold

Quote from: '95 Blugold on March 15, 2023, 03:14:43 PM
A little bit of sleuthing has been able to get this much of the UWEC schedule together. Oct. 14, Nov. 4, Nov. 11 I put together looking at WIAC teams that already had schedules out

Sept. 2 - v. Concordia Moorhead
Sept. 9 - ??
Sept. 16 - v. Bethel
Sept. 23 - ??
Sept. 30 - @ UWSP
Oct. 7 - v. UWRF
Oct. 14 - @ Oshkosh ?? (UWRF has UWO 1/11, Platteville has UWO 11/11 leaving 10/14 for UWEC)
Oct. 21 - v. Platteville
Oct. 28 - @ LaCrosse
Nov. 4 - v. UW Shout ?? inserted as the last unknown
Nov. 11 - @Whitewater ?? (UWSP has UWW 11/4, UWRF has UWW 10/14 leaving 11/11 for UWEC)

September 9 & 16 are the only unknowns with one of those weeks being a bye. I see Albion on UWSP's schedule so I don't think we reupped for another home and home with them. Loras who we have been playing for the past 4 years has their schedule out and we are not on it.  Non conference games seem to be a home and home type set up, so unless last year was just a one off I think it will be Central College from the ARC coming up to play in Eau Claire as we went down there last year and did not play them the year before.

So the other WIAC schools I had estimated are now correct as Stout, Oshkosh and Whitewater have released their schedules and have confirmed what I thought.

Central Collega has also released their schedule and it appears last year's match-up will be a one off as there is not a trip up to Eau Claire for a return home and home on their schedule.

That leaves Sept. 9 and 23 as open dates still and no confirmed opponent yet, though 1 of those weeks will be our bye week. That also leaves us as the only WIAC team that hasn't released the 2023 schedule yet.

uwwcontra2007

badgerwarhawk

Excellent work by you and your partner Bleed.  Thanks for putting this together.  It sounds like we've got some good talent coming in to supplement that we already have.  I'm stoked for the season.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

bleedpurple

Thank you for the kind words, BW.

This year is going to be a lot of fun!