FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nescac1 and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

nescac1

I'm not sure how many of these guys played both all four years but some especially notable two-sport athletes who come to mind from Williams are Sean Keenan (football/hoops), Dana Leary (soccer/hoops), Kyle Horihan (lacrosse / soccer), Chris Kenney (football/baseball), Tom Foote (football/wrestling) and Jamall Pollock (elite at both wrestling and football).   From other schools, Amherst's Spencer Noon (soccer/hoops) and Middlebury's John Giannacopolous (an ace at both hockey and soccer) come immediately to mind but surely there are lots of others.

I imagine two sport varsity athletes (outside of maybe a football / track or football / wrestling combo) will become increasingly rare as athletes are pressured to specialize earlier and earlier. 

lumbercat

Historically quite a few 2 sport Athletes among sports other than football.

Charlie

Quote from: SpringSt7 on January 27, 2023, 11:31:20 PM
What is the hit rate on dual sport athletes in the NESCAC? And by hit rate I mean, compete for both sports in all four years. It seems like most end up only completing one, which I would assume the coaches factor into their calculus. In recent memory, both Frank Stola and Edward Manzella came to Williams to play football and baseball and neither played more than two baseball seasons. Maimaron was allegedly a lacrosse recruit too but was never listed on the roster.

Off the top of my head I remember Adam Regensburg, who played baseball at Williams, Frank Cosolito at Middlebury, who also played lacrosse, and Jon Lindgren at Bates, who also played baseball. I think there was another DB from Colby that also played lacrosse but the name is escaping me. I'm sure there have been more.

Cosolito was a different breed clearly, he played two seasons of hockey as well and I think his choosing not to continue had nothing to do with the physical demands.

This is what I have been saying all along. McHugh is a great tahlete even plays Hockey I believe in High School. The best sport he plays is baseball. When he commited to Umass Lowell it was for baseball and at the D1 level. Renzella the same his real sport is baseball as a catcher. I just think great number of these kids do not understand the academic presures combined with the time commitemnt for sports at the NESACAC. This is why I think the percentage of kids that plays two sports is small. Which is why I was perplexed at McHughs decision to not play D! baseball for NESCAC baseball. I am glad he did special talent.

Charlie

Quote from: LochNescac on January 27, 2023, 05:13:39 PM
Quote from: The Mole on January 27, 2023, 12:31:43 PM
Sorry, pasted to wrong thread--responding to Loch's "early predictions"...cannot see too much movement up or down but there were surprises last year and 2023 will most likely offer some as well...

Trinity still team to beat year in and out, Tufts had them on the ropes in game 1, Wes up at half and Bants wore them out in 2nd half. Middlebury could've won too.
Middlebury shouldn't  have a drop off, Ritter built a very good, consistent program, they will be in the mix. Physically big too.
Wesleyan will be predicted by Charlie and others to drop off--lost some big individual names (Banks, Estevez, Helbig, Tomlinson) but a strong sophomore class got much playing time and there is depth returning. Cards won't be a cakewalk
Tufts was probably playing the best at end of the season, can they make the next step up?
Colby was just 4-5 with all the heralded improvement that was predicted. Need to get better on offense. Coaching change in the works?
Bates must improve defensively, see what Coach Coyne can do in year 2
Bowdoin knocked off Wes and Colby, still need more offense and depth and size
Williams has to improve, right? Passing game needs an upgrade, defense was on field too long
Amherst the best 2-7 squad in the country? Very good defensively, impotent offensively, not a great game day atmosphere
Hamilton somehow managed two wins (over Amherst & Williams), think they hold onto this spot.

Quote from: Jonny Utah on January 27, 2023, 08:55:12 AM
Quote from: lumbercat on January 26, 2023, 06:23:13 PM
Yes Jonny- as N1 states I think it's official based on a connection on the Milton staff.

Originally, McHugh made verbal commitment to Mass Lowell to play baseball. As Football season commenced he decided he wanted to play both sports so the NESCAC came into consideration resulting with his eventual commitment to Williams.
Do not believe he will end up as a QB at Williams.

He's a 3 sport athlete currently playing Hockey for Milton. Team Captain. Special kid. Might be a 3 sport captain.

Thanks.  He is one of the best QB's I've ever coached against in my 20 year career, and that includes coaching against Marimon, Flutie and other D1 QB's.  It will be interesting to see if the lack of height is a factor with him, even at the d3 level.  The one thing about him is that he does not "look" like a football player if you see him.  I'm interested to see what Williams does with him.

Good stuff Mole...pretty reasonable order I'd have to agree.  I'm guessing it'll be a close race for those top 3 spots!!

Agreed Think Trinity Number 1 with Midd and Tufts pushing for the number 2 spot

Charlie

Quote from: Charlie on January 14, 2023, 04:58:32 PM
Quote from: Charlie on January 14, 2023, 04:49:06 PM
Quote from: lumbercat on January 02, 2023, 11:41:52 AM
Middlebury looking to hire a new OC--is Dave Caputi out or maybe moving to DC to replace Mandigo ?

Coach Kassabian from Colby has also left program so Colby will be looking for new DL Coach.

Bowdoin College also looking for DL Coach

Dacosta is also out as Coach at Williams

SpringSt7

Charlie

lumbercat

The job at Williams for Costa was a one year deal from the start.

Charlie

Quote from: lumbercat on January 30, 2023, 12:20:05 PM
The job at Williams for Costa was a one year deal from the start.

Possibly would have felt that they would have kept him around sine hey are bringing in more QB. They also have moved QB O'Connell to TE. So that reduces numbers at QB position.

Williams also planning on moving All NESCAC Freeman from LT to Guard this year.

lumbercat

Believe Costa starts grad school in the fall.

CC_Camels

Mohamed Diawara, a graduating WR/KR from Bates has signed with Marist College

The Mole

The Fordham long snapper that was supposedly considering some NESCAC opportunities has signed with Syracuse

https://twitter.com/CuseFootball/status/1620859660948340758?s=20&t=k9k_d5Fhdku71a-IM2dgJw
TAKE THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED

Bucket

Quote from: nescac1 on January 28, 2023, 11:05:49 AM
I'm not sure how many of these guys played both all four years but some especially notable two-sport athletes who come to mind from Williams are Sean Keenan (football/hoops), Dana Leary (soccer/hoops), Kyle Horihan (lacrosse / soccer), Chris Kenney (football/baseball), Tom Foote (football/wrestling) and Jamall Pollock (elite at both wrestling and football).   From other schools, Amherst's Spencer Noon (soccer/hoops) and Middlebury's John Giannacopolous (an ace at both hockey and soccer) come immediately to mind but surely there are lots of others.

I imagine two sport varsity athletes (outside of maybe a football / track or football / wrestling combo) will become increasingly rare as athletes are pressured to specialize earlier and earlier.

Greg Conrad at Midd was an impressive soccer/hockey player.

Scoops

With "signing day" done with, it's been interesting to see the new additions to the league based on what's been put out on social media. Early look, but I think so far Amherst has probably brought in the best talent, although they don't seem to have brought in big numbers, and seems they they didn't bring in much of any receiver talent.

Williams clearly figured out that they can't just run the ball every single play, and that starts with getting an actual quarterback. I don't think the guys they got are game changing talents, but they're more impressive than what they've got. McHugh is interesting as an athlete. He can at least go play receiver if it doesn't work out behind center.

Coach Coyne brought in impressive numbers, and a handful of fairly talented guys. I'm impressed by his effort in drawing from a lot of different areas. 14 different states by my count.

The rest of the league has been fairly unimpressive. I like the QBs that Middlebury brought into the fold. Very disappointing classes from Tufts Trinity and Wesleyan so far, but I'm sure they'll have a late surprise or two. More of the same from Hamilton, and Bowdoin.  Really disappointed in Colby. Big regression in their recruiting from what they've done the last few years. Especially when they were knocking on the door of relevancy. I'm sure there will be a few more commitments, but interesting at this stage of the game to project who could have gotten better.