FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bartman

Quote from: Bartman on January 30, 2023, 10:09:08 AM
Quote from: IC798891 on January 30, 2023, 09:45:29 AM
Quote from: Bartman on January 28, 2023, 03:47:17 PM
Just read that IC will be losing both the DC and OC to FCS programs. Has this been confirmed ?

source?
I have to check with my son, who got it from a college football blog as a rumor, however, it was very specific with coaches going to UPenn and Stony Brook. I'll recheck.
Jan.26 article on footballscoop.com.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Bartman on January 30, 2023, 11:36:03 AM
Just read that IC will be losing both the DC and OC to FCS programs. Has this been confirmed ?

source?
I have to check with my son, who got it from a college football blog as a rumor, however, it was very specific with coaches going to UPenn and Stony Brook. I'll recheck.

Ha I was trying to look there.  Football Scoop has become tough to find old pages because of the ads on that page.

Bartman

Quote from: Jonny Utah on January 30, 2023, 01:18:53 PM

source?

Ha I was trying to look there.  Football Scoop has become tough to find old pages because of the ads on that page.
I couldn't copy and paste, but here is a portion of the post from football scoop on 1/26:

In addition to Reeder's exit to Penn, sources tell FootballScoop that Trevor Warner has accepted the position of safeties coach at Football Championship Subdivision program Stony Brook, which competes in the 13-team Colonial Athletic Association.

Warner had most recently served as Ithaca's defensive coordinator, spearheading a unit that ranked among the top 20 in numerous NCAA DIII categories during the program's record-setting 2022 season.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Bartman

Quote from: Bartman on January 30, 2023, 01:59:21 PM

source?

I couldn't copy and paste, but here is a portion of the post from football scoop on 1/26:

In addition to Reeder's exit to Penn, sources tell FootballScoop that Trevor Warner has accepted the position of safeties coach at Football Championship Subdivision program Stony Brook, which competes in the 13-team Colonial Athletic Association.

Warner had most recently served as Ithaca's defensive coordinator, spearheading a unit that ranked among the top 20 in numerous NCAA DIII categories during the program's record-setting 2022 season.
None of the programs have announced anything, so not sure it's valid.
Here is Twitter post. (https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-pair-of-fcs-programs-raid-ithaca-staff-for-offensive-defensive-assistants via @JohnDBrice1
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Bartman on January 30, 2023, 01:59:21 PM

source?

Ok.  So looking on footballscoop some more and Ithaca has posted a job for what looks like an oline coach.  What is interesting here is that they put the general salary range with the position (says "mid to high 30's).  You don't see this much on football scoop and there is always talk on here about how much these coaches are being paid at this level and others so I found this interesting.  Further down the scoop, Ft. Lewis (D2 school in Colorado) is looking for a WR coach and the salary stated is 20K with possible benefits .

All of the above makes me think how hard it must be to try to make a living as a college football coach and what else you need to do to make ends meet.  I'm assuming at Ithaca (I would hope) you get some/most meals but I doubt you are getting housing.  I have no idea if these guys have other jobs or if they could teach and coach at the same time? 

Oh and with this, I'm guessing IC is promoting within or already have a new OC in mind?  I'm out of the loop there and haven't heard much.

Bartman

So Reeder is recruited by Swanstrom or Penn HC as Tight Ends coach. Good question about $$, is this a move up the ladder to FCS and/or $$. Seems like you need to get to HC in D3 to have some income stability with full time staff benefits.
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Bartman on February 01, 2023, 12:38:03 PM
So Reeder is recruited by Swanstrom or Penn HC as Tight Ends coach. Good question about $$, is this a move up the ladder to FCS and/or $$. Seems like you need to get to HC in D3 to have some income stability with full time staff benefits.

Yea sometimes its not even about the money if you are just looking temporarily for a job to get experience and then make that jump to the next level.  It's amazing when you look at random coaches and their history of where they came from and where they are now.  I always wonder what a guy like Toerper is gonna do at Ithaca.  I guess his wife is from the area so that could be a factor in him staying long term, but you see plenty of coaches using these jobs as stepping stones to the next level. 

Here is Don Brown's (current Umass coach) coaching history:

1977–1982   Hartford HS (VT) (assistant)
1982   Dartmouth (assistant)
1983   Mansfield (DC)
1984–1986   Dartmouth (DC)
1987–1992   Yale (DC)
1993–1995   Plymouth State
1996–1997   Brown (DC)
1998–1999   UMass (DC)
2000–2003   Northeastern
2004–2008   UMass
2009–2010   Maryland (DC/CB)
2011–2012   Connecticut (DC/CB)
2013–2015   Boston College (DC/LB)
2016–2020   Michigan (DC)
2021   Arizona (DC)
2022–present   UMass

So he gets out of Norwich in 1976.  Then proceeds to take 16 different jobs, moving 16 different times over the next 40 years.  That is crazy to me.

Fun fact: Don Brown's 1994 undefeated Plymouth State squad ran into a tough bombers team where JU and company knocked them out of the tourney and ruined their undefeated season!

Bartman

Quote from: Jonny Utah on February 01, 2023, 01:03:37 PM
Quote from: Bartman on February 01, 2023, 12:38:03 PM

Yea sometimes its not even about the money if you are just looking temporarily for a job to get experience and then make that jump to the next level.  It's amazing when you look at random coaches and their history of where they came from and where they are now.  I always wonder what a guy like Toerper is gonna do at Ithaca.  I guess his wife is from the area so that could be a factor in him staying long term, but you see plenty of coaches using these jobs as stepping stones to the next level. 

Here is Don Brown's (current Umass coach) coaching history:

1977–1982   Hartford HS (VT) (assistant)
1982   Dartmouth (assistant)
1983   Mansfield (DC)
1984–1986   Dartmouth (DC)
1987–1992   Yale (DC)
1993–1995   Plymouth State
1996–1997   Brown (DC)
1998–1999   UMass (DC)
2000–2003   Northeastern
2004–2008   UMass
2009–2010   Maryland (DC/CB)
2011–2012   Connecticut (DC/CB)
2013–2015   Boston College (DC/LB)
2016–2020   Michigan (DC)
2021   Arizona (DC)
2022–present   UMass

So he gets out of Norwich in 1976.  Then proceeds to take 16 different jobs, moving 16 different times over the next 40 years.  That is crazy to me.

Fun fact: Don Brown's 1994 undefeated Plymouth State squad ran into a tough bombers team where JU and company knocked them out of the tourney and ruined their undefeated season!
That's insane and tough on the wife/family. I hope he does well at UMass. One of the Hobart Coordinators was a Math major and could have become an actuary probably making 200k+ by now, but he loves being a college football coach and I assume he is eventually looking for a HC job. If you live in Geneva, the housing costs are very low, but cars, gas and food are still about the same as anywhere. You gotta really love it.
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Caz Bombers

Ice Bear

Quote from: Caz Bombers on February 01, 2023, 03:27:50 PM
Union Flying Squirrels, it's back, baby!!

https://twitter.com/UnionAthletics/status/1620879217759232003

Ice says here we ****ing go... >:(

Ice just saw this from the ****ing arctic and commented on it. Ice would ****ing hate for Union to lose the Dutchmen/Dutchwomen nickname. Ice Bear says if that does happen his only liking would be "Garnet." Ice says anything else would be absolutely ****ing stupid and ackward IIBHO.

Ice says this makes him think about when RPI was (maybe still is?) using the ****ing horrendous "Red Hawk" nickname for some of it's teams. ****ing brutal. Engineers ****ing period.
A long time fan of DIII Football!

Caz Bombers

RPI has not used the Red Hawk moniker in many years, not since the mid-00s I believe.

unionpalooza

I think much of the Union College community will be receptive to a nickname change; many of us alums think the name is stupid and meaningless. 

Most of us just think of this monstrosity:

I'd also be willing to bet we end up the Union College Garnet.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: unionpalooza on February 01, 2023, 04:28:21 PM
I think much of the Union College community will be receptive to a nickname change; many of us alums think the name is stupid and meaningless. 

Most of us just think of this monstrosity:

I'd also be willing to bet we end up the Union College Garnet.

What am I missing here.  What's wrong with the name?  Or is this a gender issue with the names.....?

stlawus

Press release says that "Discussions with students, faculty, staff and alumni over the past few months have confirmed a lack of strong affinity for Dutchmen and Dutchwomen."  Whatever that means. 

w/r to RPI and the "Red Hawks", it took an embarrassingly long time for me to even discover that they were called that for some of their teams, since I always thought I was well in tune to the history of the Liberty League.  It was only a few years ago I came across a highlight on Youtube of the RPI-SLU basketball Liberty League final in 2009 where the guy doing commentary kept referring to RPI as the Red Hawks which greatly confused me.    I wasn't at SLU yet but I just assumed they were all called the Engineers back then, little did I know.   Seems like that was the last year they used that moniker.

unionpalooza

I think that's a polite way of saying a lot Union folks think the nickname is lame and dumb.  People feel no connection to "Dutchmen."  And that's not new - that was the view when I was there several decades ago.  That said, I presume this gets all caught up in the culture wars anyway. 

I never really got the name.  I mean, I get that Schenectady was founded by the Dutch, but a maritime empire that has been defunct for 300 years doesn't exactly incite passion.  And the fact that Union is located in said city is a thorn, not a rose, for the college.