WBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Augie2020

Congrats To Dunmore Lady Bucks on winning State Championship.Coach Obrien truly built a dynasty at Dunmore.Congrats again.Truly glad he is leading the Lady Royals.

ronk

Catholic 2nd team all-conference Erin Doherty chooses Drexel as a grad transfer.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: Augie2020 on March 23, 2023, 11:03:51 PM
Congrats To Dunmore Lady Bucks on winning State Championship.Coach Obrien truly built a dynasty at Dunmore.Congrats again.Truly glad he is leading the Lady Royals.

Who is coaching there now as his replacement?
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Tim the Enchanter

Carrie Toomey, Victoria and Ciera's mom (and a Dunmore HS legend in her own right!)

saratoga

Victoria & Ciera Toomey's mom, Carrie.
Former star player herself at F&M...holds many of their women's records.
She was Ben's assistant coach the past 5/6 years.

Re: Doherty
May be a smart move as I know there are 2 guard openings with the transfers of Murray & Lavelle plus any standard grads.
Emily Shurina also attends Drexel for Grad. school but did not attempt to play.

Tim the Enchanter

Congrats to Bridget Monaghan (1st Team) and Summer McNulty (5th Team) on being named D3hoops.com All-Americans!

Augie2020

Yes congrat I'm not sure how Kaci Kranson is not rookie of the year or at least Co rookie.Numbers do not lie.

Tim the Enchanter

Kranson had a tremendous year, no doubt, but Schleusner's was better. 

Schleusner led W&L in scoring (14.2/game) rebounding (11.9/game - 17th in the country), blocks (90 - 3rd in the country!) and steals (36) plus had 59 assists.  Really her only drawback was 104 turnovers. 

Compare these numbers to Kranson's 14.6 points and 6.3 rebounds (both 2nd on the team), 14 blocks, 35 steals, 37 assists.

Given the comparable nature of the scoring and steals, the rebounds and blocked shots really put Schleusner over the top.  Kranson is an important part of Scranton's team and will be even more so next year, but I bet O'Brien would have loved to have someone like Schleusner in the middle this year!

gordonmann

This was exactly the conversation we had yesterday about these two players and this is how we reached this conclusion, too.

Weird! Get out of my head! :)

Augie2020

My eyes that is to close to call and it should have went Co Rookie.We are talking by a fraction yes she has more blocks but Kranson beats her by a fraction 14.6 to 14.2,FG % 44.8 to 44.1,3pt shooting Kranson 27-73 39%-Schleusner 8-25 32%,Ft- Kranson 85-100 85%,Schleusner-71-112 63%Kranson 410pts,Sch-413pts,Rebounds Schleusner clear winner 11.9Reb to Kranson 6.8Reb,Pf -Kranson 59,Schleusner 72,Ast-Kranson 37,S-59,TO -Kranson 48,Sch-104,Steals -Kranson 35,Sch-36and finally Blocks Schleusner 90,Kranson 14.So this is really tight if you say well look at blocks well look at 3pt shooting and Ft.In my mind Kranson won Rookie of the year in Region 5 all by herself ,Schleusner was Co rookie in Region 6.So I will stick with my thought and Say if anything it should have been Co Rookie!

scottiedawg

Schleusner on a rate basis was waaay better (but also you can't just extrapolate the same rate production into Kranson's greater minutes). Can't wait to see Schleusner play a bunch more next year!

Augie2020

Who was Co rookie with Her in Region 6?

ronk

Shantasia John - Belhaven

It's inconsistent reasoning that a co-ROY in the region wouldn't also be co-Roy nationally if the other(Schleusner) was there .

Augie2020

Never heard of them!Scranton definetly needs to get some bigs, Etown is loading up on some bigs.Maybe just maybe one of Ronks prospects will end up at Scranton and hopefully she is 6ft2 Shelly Parks type of player.

gordonmann

QuoteIt's inconsistent reasoning that a co-ROY in the region wouldn't also be co-Roy nationally if the other(Schleusner) was there

It's a fair point, and this gets a little inside baseball but here's the reasoning.

The folks who vote for All-Region really, REALLY liked Shantasia John and the All-Region awards are driven to a very large degree by the votes they cast. We may make some adjustments by position so we don't have four centers on a team. We also sometimes make adjustments for teams who don't play as many in region games and are therefore naturally underrepresented. This has occasionally been the case for UAA teams (though not this year) and now C2C teams like CNU and Mary Washington in Region 6.

In general though, I try not to ask people to vote -- which is a time commitment and volunteer -- and then just overrule them by swapping the voters' choice for our own.

When it comes to Regional ROY, we'll take the voters choice and add someone because we know that their resume is competitive at a national level. That happens very rarely but that's what happened here.

John was far and away the voters' choice. We knew Schleusner merited consideration for National ROY. It felt more reasonable to take both than to take one person as Regional ROY and then another as national ROY. We would've done the same thing with Kranson if, for some reason, the voters picked someone else in front of her as ROY. Fortunately that wasn't an issue.

Then when it gets to the national awards, it's a different story. We use All-Region seletions as a starting point but All Americans are our awards, not a simple listing of which players had the most All-Region votes. I would not have voted John ahead of Schleusner, and I don't think anyone on our team would've either.

I recognize this isn't entirely consistent and these awards often aren't. Heck, Shantasia John was the only player to win her conference's player of the year award but she wasn't the Rookie of the Year. That honor went to Laila Battle who was the conference's sixth man of the year.