Liberty League

Started by Saint of Old, August 12, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saint of Old

Quote from: Saint of Old on September 01, 2022, 09:20:07 PM
I said it already about the Zulu Saint.
Top 5 all time, and that is after just 2 seasons and Top 5 is being very very conservative.

I remember saying the above about Marvin Sibanda in pre-season and got a bit of pushback from some.
Fact is, I saw the kid was this good the first 3 minutes I watched him play.
Some players its just easy to see.

As for SLU, it reminds me when we had 15 years of 6 foot 6 inch  center backs including Laird and Copeland.
That 6 position has had Seyfe Broak/Jethro Dede and Sibanda for the last dozen years, every one of them pure CLASS.

Looking forward to what comes next and wishing the African Saint #33/#10 all the best.

SimpleCoach

Quote from: Saint of Old on April 09, 2023, 07:40:37 AM
Quote from: Saint of Old on September 01, 2022, 09:20:07 PM
I said it already about the Zulu Saint.
Top 5 all time, and that is after just 2 seasons and Top 5 is being very very conservative.

I remember saying the above about Marvin Sibanda in pre-season and got a bit of pushback from some.
Fact is, I saw the kid was this good the first 3 minutes I watched him play.
Some players its just easy to see.

As for SLU, it reminds me when we had 15 years of 6 foot 6 inch  center backs including Laird and Copeland.
That 6 position has had Seyfe Broak/Jethro Dede and Sibanda for the last dozen years, every one of them pure CLASS.

Looking forward to what comes next and wishing the African Saint #33/#10 all the best.

Clearly don't have the SLU history, etc., but I've been a fan and think he could have been D3 POY since I first saw him last year.  He is a couple levels above most every other player I have seen.

A Blessed Easter to All!

SC.

soccerpapa

Have never seen him play.  Searched google and saw Hudl highlights from 2022.   May be a good/great player but in the first 60 seconds my scouting report would say push him right.....he is the most one footed player I have seen in a long time....with that being said he is excellent with his left and thus easily compensates for lacking a right foot.  Very smooth/confident on the ball with great vision

saint_forever

Quote from: soccerpapa on April 10, 2023, 10:49:27 AM
Have never seen him play.  Searched google and saw Hudl highlights from 2022.   May be a good/great player but in the first 60 seconds my scouting report would say push him right.....he is the most one footed player I have seen in a long time....with that being said he is excellent with his left and thus easily compensates for lacking a right foot.  Very smooth/confident on the ball with great vision

Sibanda does not lack a right foot, but rather is so dominant he is able to play how he wants. Anyone who watches him in game realizes he can go both ways, and does it often. If he was truly so one-footed I am sure someone would have shut him down, yet every team he played would probably agree they had no answer for him. The best player in the country. Left and right.

soccerpapa

Like I said I am not discounting him as a player and I said only based on Hudl highlights.....

stlawus

Don't think anyone is wrong here.  He has a dominant left foot but still is fully capable of using his right.  That doesn't mean someone won't be able to game plan for that and continuously force him right.  Whether it actually results in him playing poorly is one thing, as Saint Forever correctly pointed out he can still use his right.  He'll definitely have to take some time to get acclimated to this at the next level, but he is fully capable of adapting.  All I know is that I'm glad I got to every home game this year as it will probably be a while until we see someone like that on Sandy again.

soccerpapa

Like I said Hudl "highlights" only show left foot - first 2 minutes with one touch to right foot.....Wish I could have seen him play in person - great control, vision etc (Based on hudl highlights

stlawus

The Clarkson head coach position is currently being advertised.  I wonder where Carter Lincoln is off to. A bit surprising given their relative success last season.   Aside from hockey there is rarely any long term coaching tenure at Clarkson.  The baseball and softball coaches are really the only current coaches who have been coaching for a sustained period of time.  The university has invested more in athletics in recent years, but they are still well short of the rest of the league.  Their academics speak for themselves, but I wish they would do more in the athletic department. 

saint_forever

Quote from: stlawus on April 12, 2023, 10:02:06 PM
The Clarkson head coach position is currently being advertised.  I wonder where Carter Lincoln is off to. A bit surprising given their relative success last season.   Aside from hockey there is rarely any long term coaching tenure at Clarkson.  The baseball and softball coaches are really the only current coaches who have been coaching for a sustained period of time.  The university has invested more in athletics in recent years, but they are still well short of the rest of the league.  Their academics speak for themselves, but I wish they would do more in the athletic department.

Hearing Carter has taken the assistant coaching job at Syracuse.

stlawus

Good for him.  If they sustain their current level of success he can leverage that into a really good head coaching job. Unfortunate for Clarkson to lose another coach after only a few years.  Chris Taylor looked like he was about to turn things around before getting the Plattsburgh job.

CU_GKnight

Yes, Carter will be taking the Assistant Coach position at Syracuse. While I am sad as a Clarkson alum, I am truly excited for Carter and grateful for everything he has done for the Clarkson program, both as an assistant and as the head coach.  He is truly a very gifted coach and even better person.  Being in his very early 30's I think it is a great move for him and I don't think it is out of the question to see him walking the sidelines of a higher tier D1 school in 15-20 years.  It is sad for Clarkson in that he really was building a program.  Having suffered through the Dark Ages of Clarkson Soccer getting Chris and the Carter have finally given us some hope of better things to come.  And the need for the University to do more for the athletics department has never been clearer.  For whatever reason, beyond hockey, it isn't even an afterthought to the administration. I hope we are able to make another good hire but I fear unless things change we are in the cycle of hiring a bright young talent, who after a few years sees that there is no support at the school and gets a great opportunity to move up elsewhere.

stlawus

Quote from: CU_GKnight on April 15, 2023, 09:24:52 AM
Yes, Carter will be taking the Assistant Coach position at Syracuse. While I am sad as a Clarkson alum, I am truly excited for Carter and grateful for everything he has done for the Clarkson program, both as an assistant and as the head coach.  He is truly a very gifted coach and even better person.  Being in his very early 30's I think it is a great move for him and I don't think it is out of the question to see him walking the sidelines of a higher tier D1 school in 15-20 years.  It is sad for Clarkson in that he really was building a program.  Having suffered through the Dark Ages of Clarkson Soccer getting Chris and the Carter have finally given us some hope of better things to come.  And the need for the University to do more for the athletics department has never been clearer.  For whatever reason, beyond hockey, it isn't even an afterthought to the administration. I hope we are able to make another good hire but I fear unless things change we are in the cycle of hiring a bright young talent, who after a few years sees that there is no support at the school and gets a great opportunity to move up elsewhere.

Look no further than men's basketball.  Within the last 20 years Clarkson has had Tobin Anderson, Jason Leone, Adam Stockwell and Mark Gilbride on their staff, almost all who were the head coach.  None of those guys stayed very long because of a lack of support, and now look at all the success they've had.   Maybe the new AD will change the philosophy.  After all, her husband is the longest tenured coach at the university, so they know it takes time and support to sustain success. 

Saint of Old

Quote from: stlawus on April 15, 2023, 11:08:12 AM
Quote from: CU_GKnight on April 15, 2023, 09:24:52 AM

Look no further than men's basketball.  Within the last 20 years Clarkson has had Tobin Anderson, Jason Leone, Adam Stockwell and Mark Gilbride on their staff, almost all who were the head coach.  None of those guys stayed very long because of a lack of support, and now look at all the success they've had.   Maybe the new AD will change the philosophy.  After all, her husband is the longest tenured coach at the university, so they know it takes time and support to sustain success.
Clarkson is a big program. Was in the final 4 in the early 90s and dropped some amazing ball till early 00s with the Secko Brothers et al..

I feel really bad for the kids. The young athletes who have to deal with all the changes in coaching.
Many of us were fortunate enough to play for one coach during our careers.
The most important thing in the Coach-Player relationship is trust. Players have to earn it and Coaches have to earn it from players as well.
Not having a consistent coach, one who recruited you, or has guided, seen your development or built a bond with you is tough.

Departing coach might have a certain style of play/player that he prefers (which might be you) and the incoming coach has totally different attributes he prefers. This is difficult for people who play for Chelsea  and Man United, it is very difficult for the average student athlete, who must now impress and gain the coach of someone new half way through his career.

SimpleCoach

Am just curious, what is it about Clarkson that makes it difficult to retain a coach?  Don't know enough about the school to know.

SC.

stlawus

Quote from: SimpleCoach on April 16, 2023, 08:20:02 AM
Am just curious, what is it about Clarkson that makes it difficult to retain a coach?  Don't know enough about the school to know.

SC.

Resources/support from the athletic department.  It's not that Clarkson doesn't care about their athletics, they just don't match the level of resources devoted to the department compared to the rest of the league.  I'm pretty sure the pay for coaches is well short of their league counterparts as well.  Add on to all of that is the state of the facilities.  They are really lacking in that aspect.  The best facilities are Cheel Arena, but as mentioned hockey is really the only sport that gets the full attention and devotion.  They have the worst gym in the Liberty League, and while their soccer complex is a decent turf field, there's barely any seating and it's right off a congested traffic area.  I hadn't been to a basketball game at Clarkson in a while until last winter, and forgot how dire the state of their athletic complex/offices were.  The place has obviously not had any sort of renovation or upgrade in years. 

It's baffling because their engineering counterparts in Troy are the total opposite.  RPI has incredible facilities and they take care of their coaches by giving them lots of resources and support.   I don't see why Clarkson can't do it if RPI can.