Liberty League

Started by Saint of Old, August 12, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brewer_faithful

Thank you for the welcomes! Agree with a lot of what was said - I am not the most well-versed in the recruiting game. Although I agree with stlawus and others that next year's recruiting class is likely already being finalized as the ED1 application was due yesterday for Vassar. So any recruiting rewards might not come to fruition until next year as the new coach will have time to get his boots on the ground. I do hope he continues to search nationally as it has served Vassar well in the past - as others have pointed out California seems to be a goldmine.

As I said before I heard through the grapevine that Vassar's seniors would be returning for the Covid eligibility year. I believe they might have taken a gap year during the pandemic - if true 2023 recruiting class would likely be small. Assuming Hood is planning on bringing in more with the 2024 class - given this years results.

Vassar AD has to be happy - her recent hires have resulted in great seasons for mens bball & now soccer.

stlawus

Man, the the SC Clinton and Tosh interviews have me itching for next year already.  I'm pretty dialed in with the d3 shooty hoops right now in the bustling metropolis of the North Country, but all this season recap stuff has me already looking forward to the 2023 soccer season.

Brewer Faithful has given some indication that a few Vassar seniors might be back, but we won't know for sure.  They were supposed to have a few back this season but they didn't return.  Same applied to RPI.  Regardless, Vassar still had a lot of underclassmen which in combination with their great finish to the season will no doubt be one of the teams to beat next season.

You can't really replace Sibanda for SLU, the kid is in his own class. I don't know if the program will have a player like him for a while.  However, the Scarlet and Brown return a lot of firepower next season.  2 seasons of Liberty League success can give a confidence boost large enough to overcome some talent gaps, if there are any.  I've got a bit of a look at the incoming recruiting class, and it definitely appears that Tosh has found his recruiting stride.  There's an all-NEPSAC Class A recruit coming to Canton.  Pretty good company to be in. This year's squad featured 2 all-NEPSAC class A alums-  Sam Peacock and Marvin Sibanda, 2 major keys to the team's recent success.

kevdog

Quote from: stlawus on January 20, 2023, 06:21:29 PM
Man, the the SC Clinton and Tosh interviews have me itching for next year already.  I'm pretty dialed in with the d3 shooty hoops right now in the bustling metropolis of the North Country, but all this season recap stuff has me already looking forward to the 2023 soccer season.

Brewer Faithful has given some indication that a few Vassar seniors might be back, but we won't know for sure.  They were supposed to have a few back this season but they didn't return.  Same applied to RPI.  Regardless, Vassar still had a lot of underclassmen which in combination with their great finish to the season will no doubt be one of the teams to beat next season.

You can't really replace Sibanda for SLU, the kid is in his own class. I don't know if the program will have a player like him for a while.  However, the Scarlet and Brown return a lot of firepower next season.  2 seasons of Liberty League success can give a confidence boost large enough to overcome some talent gaps, if there are any.  I've got a bit of a look at the incoming recruiting class, and it definitely appears that Tosh has found his recruiting stride.  There's an all-NEPSAC Class A recruit coming to Canton. Pretty good company to be in. This year's squad featured 2 all-NEPSAC class A alums-  Sam Peacock and Marvin Sibanda, 2 major keys to the team's recent success.

Do you have the names of some of the recruits that are coming in and where they played their high school ball?  Would love to see maybe look them up and see some highlights of their play.  Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

stlawus

Looks like there are 5 so far committed to SLU.  I'm sure there are folks that linger on these boards so if I'm wrong feel free to correct me, but as it stands it looks like the 5 are:

Eric Edmonds, midfield, Proctor Academy NH
Griffin MacGillivray, midfield, Phillips Exeter Academy NH.
Nicholas Petrone, midfield/forward, Paramus Catholic NJ
Gustav Scheibler, CB/RB/LB, Dawson College, Quebec
Henry Brown, midfield, Trinity Prep, Orlando FL

kevdog

Quote from: stlawus on January 25, 2023, 06:02:31 PM
Looks like there are 5 so far committed to SLU.  I'm sure there are folks that linger on these boards so if I'm wrong feel free to correct me, but as it stands it looks like the 5 are:

Thank you for this info. It is always nice to see what is coming in. The YouTube video of Sheibler looks nice and he has good size. Couldn't find much info on Brown or Petrone. I am sure there are other recruits that will be coming. Any info you can give when they do will be appreciated. Thanks for posting these guys.

Ejay

Quote from: kevdog on January 26, 2023, 12:07:39 AM
Thank you for this info. It is always nice to see what is coming in. The YouTube video of Sheibler looks nice and he has good size. Couldn't find much info on Brown or Petrone. I am sure there are other recruits that will be coming. Any info you can give when they do will be appreciated. Thanks for posting these guys.
[/quote]

My guess is Petrone played academy only (TSF) - Paramus Catholic is terrible. They're lucky to win 3 game a year.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKIPNLJ9jIM

stlawus

I think you're right.  I'm sure it's common in other states but I've noticed that a lot of the top soccer players in NJ don't play HS soccer, they're club only.  Years back the kicker for the Fair Lawn HS football team was part of the Red Bull academy system. 

SimpleCoach

Quote from: stlawus on January 26, 2023, 10:29:41 PM
I think you're right.  I'm sure it's common in other states but I've noticed that a lot of the top soccer players in NJ don't play HS soccer, they're club only.  Years back the kicker for the Fair Lawn HS football team was part of the Red Bull academy system.

Very true.  You also see that if kids commit early enough to a school, they drop out of the academy so they can play High School soccer.    Stupid rule if you ask me.

SC

stlawus

Dennis Argueta, midfield/forward, Fox Lane HS, Bedford NY

Late addition in bold to next year's SLU squad.

saint_forever

To All Saints,

Senior Shane Hauck has put together a tape of all the goals from the 2022 season on YouTube. Some unreal goals and sequences of play throughout the video, a great representation of the style of play SLU plays. Hope everyone has a watch.

I have attached the link in this post:

https://youtu.be/F_a9GOvpiPk

stlawus

Quote from: stlawus on February 14, 2023, 09:32:06 PM

Dennis Argueta, midfield/forward, Fox Lane HS, Bedford NY

Late addition in bold to next year's SLU squad.

Add another all NEPSAC first teamer to next year's SLU class.  Parker Sinclair, GK, Westminster School, CT.

Saint of Old

Most exciting for any fan of a program is watching to see which of the new boys turns out to be a legend.

We want them all to write their own page in the book of Saints.

Some might catch fire and pen an entire chapter like Dede, Sibanda and  Reps and Smooth before them.

stlawus

Midfielder of the Year and another 1st team AA added to Marvin Sibanda's collection.  I've watched most SLU games over the past 10 years beginning with my time as a student, and not since DeMello have I seen a player that was so clearly a major step above the rest. Hope to see him flourish with the Portland Timbers.

Newenglander

Quote from: SimpleCoach on January 27, 2023, 06:50:11 AM

Very true.  You also see that if kids commit early enough to a school, they drop out of the academy so they can play High School soccer.    Stupid rule if you ask me.

SC
Its a foolish rule and one that isn't evenly enforced amongst the clubs - that is a frustration and a separate thread on its own ;)

SimpleCoach

Quote from: Newenglander on April 07, 2023, 08:26:36 AM
Quote from: SimpleCoach on January 27, 2023, 06:50:11 AM

SC

Its a foolish rule and one that isn't evenly enforced amongst the clubs - that is a frustration and a separate thread on its own ;)

Don't get me started....

SC.