NWC vs SCIAC

Started by MIFDad, December 08, 2015, 10:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIFDad

Quote from: Westside on December 17, 2015, 06:52:25 PM
Whitworth does have a lower acceptance rate than Whitman... for whatever that's worth!

That is true.  US News has the two schools in different categories so it's hard to compare. But those numbers are very arbitrary anyway.  Top schools are top schools but you can stack the statistical components various ways to get various results.   Admit rate is a good thing to look at, but kids self-select so it's not necessarily the most important number. Median SAT at Whitman is 1970, and 1778 at Whitworth.  Fairly close, though Whitworth doesn't require SAT/ACT.  But still, numbers don't mean as much as reputation, and even then you've got to find schools that are a good fit, and neither of those are. My kid wants a more urban setting than Whitman offers, and he doesn't want the overtly Christian education that Whitworth provides.

MIFDad

Jack Parkman, great round up.  Thanks very much.  I've seen just a few  of those fields, but what I've seen matches my impression. 

alpal4a

Re Willamette & Linfield: Both offer great merit aid to the better student. Linfield has a transparent scholarship calculator on their website plus a scholarship exam day to try and get more money. As Phds are not finding work at the higher-ranked institutions, they are rounding out the faculties quite nicely at a bunch of SLACs. I've been impressed with the faculty bios at both schools. WU's location across the street from the capitol building intrigues the various humanities and poli sci majors. Linfield athletes make up about 70% of the student pop. WildCat sports seem to be well-attended by students and locals. Not so much at WU. Profs at Linfield tend to be outdoors-y. Salem is, obviously, a larger town than McMinnville with all that implies.

JMHO: At the individual level, #motivation beats out #rankings each and every time.  ;)

Sluggerdad

i think another thing you should look out for is recruitment philosophies, likelihood of playing as a freshman,whether chances of winning a spot on the varsity as opposed to a JV squad.  I would ask coaches up front about these issues.  Some but not all schools in the two conferences have JV teams.  I think in the SCIAC, I think it's just  Occidental and Cal Lu. I'm pretty sure Linfield has a JV team too. And I think Pacific started a JV squad this past year -- or maybe it's this coming year.   I'd want to know from the coach how likely it is a frosh will be playing JV and how hard it is to move up from the JV to the varsity.  I'd also want to know how many frosh are likely to be brought in in any given year and how many are likely to be cut.   I gather, for example, that  Cal Lu tends to bring in a relatively large number of frosh but to cut many of them after fall ball.    Pomona, by contrast,  I gather brings in many fewer frosh and that if you are recruited you pretty much are recruited to at least a position on the depth chart.   

Direct questions to the coaches are the best way to get the answers you are looking for.

alpal4a

Absolutely agree with SluggerDad re getting info on JV teams. Lots of Freshmen show up in Fall. Not so many play in Spring.

BTW, interesting to see that pre-season D3 poll/ranking. How does Trinity end up at #27 on the CB poll? That's a stumper for me.

MIFDad

Update - just got back from spending the holidays in Portland and visiting some of the schools mentioned.  Son a) thought L&C was absolutely beautiful b) has decided that it's too damn cold up there!  If a NW D1 comes knocking I'm sure he'll answer the door, otherwise he wants to go where it's warm.