2022 D3 tourney

Started by Gregory Sager, February 28, 2022, 05:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaboNation

Quote from: kiko on March 21, 2022, 02:00:16 PM
Quote from: BaboNation on March 21, 2022, 10:18:34 AM
The WIAC had just one team (Stevens Point) that was underwater OOC at 3-4.  The UAA also had just one in Chicago at 5-6.  The CCIW had 2 (N. Central and Carroll).

I don't disagree with your broader point, but North Central was not underwater in non-conference play.  The Cardinals were 5-3 excluding the conference tournament, and 7-4 if you include it.  Carroll was the only sub-.500 team in the conference this year.

You are correct.  My bad.  I didn't see anywhere that Massey broke down OOC by team and relied on my eyes to do quick math.

blue_jays

Quote from: BaboNation on March 21, 2022, 10:18:34 AM
Looking at the Massey data today it's pretty evident that their conference rankings do indeed cover the postseason.

As others have pointed out the entire conference comes into play, top to bottom, so while the elite members of the conference get the attention the "ball don't lie" as they say.  It's not unusual for some conference members to act as boat anchors, counteracting the work done at the top.

So, the total OOC records, including postseason were:

WIAC 67-20 .770
UAA   73-23 .760
CCIW 63-28 .692
ODAC 57-50 .533

though this is just one metric used in the Massey rankings.

The WIAC had just one team (Stevens Point) that was underwater OOC at 3-4.  The UAA also had just one in Chicago at 5-6.

Non-conference records can be quite deceiving. NYU has turned non-conference scheduling into an art form over the years where they fatten up on the likes of St. Mary's School for the Blind, and then they get smacked once they enter UAA play.
Let's just look at the last 10 years or so (Non-Conference vs. UAA):
10-1 vs. 4-10
7-4 vs. 1-13
6-5 vs. 2-12
7-3 vs. 3-11
5-6 vs. 2-12
12-1 vs. 9-5
11-3 vs. 8-6
10-2 vs. 6-8
10-2 vs. 5-9

thebear

NESCAC Non Conference was 92-37 .713

That would put them above CCIW and ODAC

"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

SpringSt7

I'll always ride for the NESCAC but this was not a great year for them in the power conference debate. I don't know what those SOS numbers come out to but most of the teams it felt like played very down non conference schedules, made worse by an inability to play most of their holiday tournaments against teams from outside of the region. Amherst always has a cupcake non conference, Williams boosts their numbers against a few good teams that they either didn't get to play this year (Yeshiva, Utica) or lost out with traditionally good opponents being down (Amherst, Springfield). Wesleyan's non-con was not good outside of WPI and Middlebury is another team that usually relies on teams like Plattsburgh St, Skidmore, Keene St, and Albertus Magnus to boost their numbers, which they did not have to nearly the same effect this year.

WUPHF

Quote from: blue_jays on March 22, 2022, 03:04:25 PM
Non-conference records can be quite deceiving. NYU has turned non-conference scheduling into an art form over the years where they fatten up on the likes of St. Mary's School for the Blind, and then they get smacked once they enter UAA play.

This is true and the Violets need to reverse this practice.  They are usually the only team in the league with an SOS out of the Top 50 or so.

BaboNation

Quote from: thebear on March 22, 2022, 04:37:33 PM
NESCAC Non Conference was 92-37 .713

That would put them above CCIW and ODAC

But their SOS was 14th for Massey.  That kills them in this year's rankings.