2022 Season Game Notes

Started by SimpleCoach, August 29, 2022, 07:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimpleCoach

And so another year begins.  Consider the following my pre-season in note taking....

North Carolina Wesleyan University v Shaw University
Pre-Season Scrimmage

- Pre-Season Scrimmage
- Field looks huge.
- NCWU four in the back with #19(?) pushing up high
- Miscommunication between the central defender and the goalkeeper, and Shaw U forward takes the ball and hits it into the open net.  Actually, center back gave the keeper a terrible ball and was picked off before the keeper could make a play.  Not even 2minutes in.
- NCWU-0; Shaw U-1
- Looks like a 4-4-2 for Shaw and a 4-3-3 for NCWU.
- Real choppy to start.  Little control, everything seems like a contested ball.
- For some reason, the camera the use is blurry on the right side, but crystal clear on the left.
- NCWU with some semblance of control out of the back, but the minute it goes forward, they lose it.
- Shaw U is just content to sit back and wait for NCWU to put up a 50/50. 
- Filming is being done from the International Space Station.
- Field is so large but NCWU is too slow with the ball to make use of it.
- Starting to take advantage of the left back who is staying wide and high and switching the ball when the opportunity presents itself.
- First real chance at goal for NCWU comes at 34 minutes left in the half.  Ball down the left to the line, is put across to the middle where it is skied over the bar.
- Big and beautiful field.  Seriously.
- Shaw defends in block very well and very compact. 
- NCWU just goes right into it expecting a different result.
- Why they aren't switching the point of attack at every chance is beyond me.
- Shaw U is in no rush to get forward with the ball.
- This is great.  NCWU clear a ball down the line.  Shaw U defender expects it to go out, and starts to slow down.  NCWU makes a play for it and ball just walks the line.  Takes it to the end line, cuts it in and with 3 defenders in front of him rifles a low ball to the keepers left and near post and ties it up.  Text book reason why you should never stop playing because you think something is going to happen.
- NCWU-1; Shaw U-1
- Kind of sloppy play after the goal.
- Left wing is for NCWU to take every time.
- Shaw really doesn't seem to have ideas other than frustrating NCWU
- Shaw is so compact in the center that it makes it difficult to get anything going.  That's why out wide left is wide open.  Seems the right side is a little tighter controlled.
- 25 minutes left.
- NCWU has a talented #10(?) but doesn't seem to have the supporting cast to make something happen for them.
- Runs on the attack are really not that effective.  Lack balance and sense on cohesion from NCWU. 
- And of course, I type that and NCWU scores on a through ball to their ginormous forward who hits it in from 12 yards out.
- Ball from #15 from just beyond midfleld between two Shaw U defenders, NCWU forward runs in behind.  It was actually a great ball, but can help but think the defenders mess that one up.
- NCWU-2; Shaw U-1
- 22 minutes left in half
- That seems too have settled them down quite a bit.  And you can start seeing cracks in Shaw U defensive posture.  Legs and minds are faltering.
- NCWU now starting to build to create some real chances.  Not sure if that's the case, but Shaw U doesn't look fit.  Lot of walking and lack of defensive discipline.  Really not closing down space effectively.
- Ok.  That's it.  15 minutes left.  Just trying to get back into the swing of things with my note taking.

SimpleCoach

Lesley University @ Dean College Grant Field
1 September 2022

- Season Opener for both teams
- Dean is part of the GNAC; Lesley is part of the NECC
- Lesley was 0-17-1 last year, Dean was 3-13.
- Am sorry, but Dean College's Grant Field has got to be the worst possible set up for a soccer field I have watched on a livestream.
- Put two football fields side to side length wise on a massive turf field, then put a soccer field with blue lines that runs across both football fields.  I am concerned with going into an epileptic seizure.
- A bit slow and chaotic ball movement.  Both teams lack pace with the ball.
- Dean#7 looks like he is a good ball player as a left wing. 
- Dean seems to struggle with moving the ball out of it's half.  And Lesley seems to be pressing high.
- Dean trying to bully its way through midfield.  Really not moving it to space.
- Lesley trying to connect when they do get the ball.
- 34 minutes left in the half, lots of imprecision from both teams.
- First opportunity I have seen comes from Lesley.  Win the ball at the 40, and pass to player running down the left.  Takes it to the lines and drops it back to the 6 at the near post.  Player one times the ball and it goes wide.
- Dean then sends a long ball and tries to get it away.  Lands at the feet of a forward who hits a ball from outside the 18.  Ball sails over the top.
- So far, shots from range with little effectiveness
- Lesley is trying to move the ball and be a little more intentional with their position.  Think Dean is looking to get the ball forward as quickly as possible.
- Think the Lesley Lynx who has a first year coach who seems to have an idea how he wants them to play, but still has work to do, in particular in the attacking third.
- Ok.  That's it for me. 0-0 with 15 left.  Nothing too exciting.

Maine Soccer Fan

Messiah at Washington & Lee
September 1, 2022
Season opener for both teams.

Very interestingly this is a rematch of the 2021 NCAA Tournament semifinal which W&L won 3-1.

Messiah wins 4-1

- I was at the game and didn't take notes so just some general impressions from the game.
- Messiah scored 3 goals in the first 35 minutes so the game was essentially over at HT, Messiah scored its fourth goal a couple minutes into the second half. W&L scored with about 15 minutes left.
- Messiah was at their crisp, passing, lots of movement off the ball best; dominating possession, constantly creating chances, never giving the other team a chance to settle.
- Messiah's midfield moved the ball constantly and was seldom dispossessed.
- MacDonald scored 2 goals and was a constant menace, as was LeFever on the other wing. W&L just couldn't contain them.
- W&L generated one shot in the first half and that wasn't on target. The field was tilted toward the W&L goal at a pretty severe angle.
- After the 3rd goal, I think, W&L switched to a 4-4-2 to try to clog the middle of the field and gain some possession.

- As well as the Falcons played, there's no getting around that the Generals just weren't very good tonight. They tried to play Messiah straight up and couldn't. Their midfield couldn't keep possession, their attack was stranded, and while the defenders are big and strong, they're very, very slow. When isolated 1v1, the Messiah wings constantly beat them. Following the second goal, they looked shellshocked and gassed.

- Messiah had a goal scored by a freshman, #10 Lee. Yeah a kid named "Lee" gets his first goal in his first college game against Washington & "Lee". That should be in next year's program.

Maine Soccer Fan

Actually that should say Quarterfinal.

SimpleCoach

Rowan University at Johns Hopkins University

- Season opener for both
- This should be a good game between two very good teams.  Think the start time, 1:00 pm is a little odd, but I'll take it.
- This game is at JHU.
- Rowan in their all brown with gold socks, and JHU in their classic white tops, blue shorts and white socks.
-  Hopkins goes right to it.  Working the ball and being patient.
- Rowan goes right at it.  Works the ball well but they look to get forward quick.
- Hopkins needs to be mindful of its defense posture when they are being countered.  Outside mids need to track back.
- Rowan ok with Hopkins hold the ball with their backs.
- Rowan is lightening when they win the ball.
- Will say, Hopkins looks very comfortable with the ball, and with their passing, and very very patient.
- Hopkins is making Rowan run, switching the point of attack, and waiting for space to open to get forward.
- Hopkins just had a great opportunity to go ahead with a ball on the ground to a forward who went one on one with the Keeper.  Ended up sailing it high and wide, but great build up.
- 15 minutes in.
- Hopkins does like the ball to the space behind the Rowan outside backs, which Rowan seems to struggle dealing with.
- Rowan is a bit all Jersey.  Not afraid to get physical.
- Rowan Keeper#1 did well punching out a set play.
- Hopkins#6 needs to be mindful of his passes and his dribbling.  Had a ball picked off for a counter and is getting a little too bold for my taste
- Rowan has two solid center backs who do a good bit of building out of the back.  Very secure on the ball.
- Rowan#7 looks like a tank and could be pretty lethal.
- Announcing is fantastic by the by.
- Where Hopkins seems vulnerable is when they turn over the ball in midfield.
- Yellow card for a professional foul for Rowan#18.  Lost the ball in a vulnerable spot and didn't let the Hopkins forward get away with it.  Free kick from Hopkins#17 goes straight to the keeper.
- Big loss for Hopkins was the extraordinary goalkeeper Xander Lafavre.  His replacement Hopkins Keeper#0 is pretty solid in his own right.
- Will say, this years Hopkins team looks like a potential force to reckon with.  They need to reward themselves with some goals though.
- Rowan does look dangerous on the attack.  Hopkins deals with them well, but you do get nervous.
- Free kick for Rowan from 40 yards out.  This is the result of a heavy touch from Hopkins#6.  Ball floated in for a header that just went wide.  Maybe tone down the dribble for a little?
- Hopkins' positional movement is very good.  Pass/Move/Cover.
- Hopkins owns the ball, and Rowan seems to be a bit muted. 
- Rown#25 yellow card for another professional foul.
- Rowan has made some subs and is looking to press higher up the field and not let Hopkins defensive backs have so much time to move the ball.
- Gets as little ugly when Rowan able to be disruptive in the middle of the field.
- This announcer is so good and professional, and even sounds like Emmy Award Winning New York Red Bull announcer Steve Cangialosi.  Seriously.
- Where I think Hopkins falls short is in the final third.  Don't have the ideas to create opportunities, where as Rowans direct play leads to sketchy moments on the attack.
- Halftime.
- Hopkins is being very effective at working the ball between the backs and midfield.  Have done a masterful job keeping Rowan off balance.
- Rowan has been effective on the defensive end, especially in the final third.  On the attack when they can counter and get forward quickly they unsettle Hopkins and make them scramble a bit.
- I do think this was Hopkin's half, just haven't rewarded  themselves for there work with a goal.  Although they have come close a couple of times.
- Second Half
- Ok.  So seems like Johns Hopkins is being a little more aggressive getting forward. 
- Hopkins just headed a ball on a short corner that the Rowan Keeper#1 tipped off the cross bar.  Most dangerous opportunity for Hopkins so far this game.
- 7 minutes in.
- Rowan sitting deep defending and is still trying to break forward quick, this time trying to get the ball to Rowan#7 into space on the run.
- You do get the sense that the chess match has turned into a bit of a cage match.
- Rowan seems to really rely on their back four and goal keeper for the defending.  Think the midfield is a bit disconnected from the back four.
- This is where Hopkins scares.  A little too confident in the back, is stolen by a pressing Rowan forward, forcing the Hopkins Keeper#0 to make a big one on one save.
- Ok, just dawned on me.  Is this the way a team will play, on the road, for a tie or try to steal a win.  Sit a bit deeper, hope for a quick break, but aim to frustrate the home team?  Just thinking allowed and the consequences of having no OT.
- 29 minutes left.
- Will say Hopkins#22 and Hopkins#18 works their tails off defensively.
- Rowan has been doing a better job in this stretch to hold the ball, and taking some steam out of Hopkins.  But they don't have much going forward.   Hopkins needs to get a hold of the ball get back to what they know best.
- 21 minutes left and Hopkins is being a bit sloppy with the ball.  Rowan is growing into the game.
- Hopkins#27 can play.  He is a very good ballplayer.  Should get the ball in the middle more often.
- Hopkins had an opportunity called offside, but how they made the play happen is what they should double down on.
- Dangerous free-kick for Hopkins about 22 yards out.  Foul on the back from Rowan.  Hopkins#17 on the ball.
- OFF THE CROSSBAR!  Wonderful shot from the super Sophomore Ian Whamond on the dead ball.
- 15 minutes left on the clock.
- And Hopkins goes up 1-0.  Foul on the sideline about 40 yards out.  Swing the ball around and ball is sent into the box to Hopkins#3 who challenges the Rowan Keeper#0.  He punches the ball and it pops up and Hopkins#18 heads it in from 12 yards out.  Rowan 0; Johns Hopkins 1.
- 13 minutes left.
- Now Rowan has a sense of urgency to their game.
- Hopkins needs to get the ball and take steam out of the game.
- Rowan is now forcing the issue.  Hopkins is defending a bit deeper and being smart defensively.  When they do get the ball, they try to hold on to it.
- Am liking Hopkins Keeper#0.  Really commands his box.  Strong.
- With 5 minutes left, Hopkins is trying to manage the game in front of them.  Think they need to be a bit more aggressive and try to keep Rowan defense honest
- And I know why I like Hopkins Keeper#0.  On a short corner sent in to the box.  It isn't cleared and a Rowan player from 18 out rifles a ball to the right side of the keeper.  Hopkins Keeper#0 goes parallel and get his fingers on the ball and deflects off the post.  Ball lands at the feet of another Rowan player and the Hopkins GK gets up and blocks the follow up shot.  I mean serious goalkeeping stuff on this play.  Outstanding.  Still 1-0 Hopkins.
- 4 minutes left.
- I guess Hopkins Keeper#0 is a transfer??  Well what a transfer that is!  If they end it with the W, he has my vote for MOTM.
-  Hopkins playing this game out.
- And game over.  Hopkins beats Rowan by a score of 1-0.
- This is a great game by Johns Hopkins.  Need to shore up the final third, but defensively and midfield were exceptional in their handling of any challenges could mount and any possession they had.

SimpleCoach

Montclair v RPI
MSU Soccer Park

- Came in with 10 minutes left.
- Think man for man, Montclair is better, but RPI is a disciplined team. 
- Defensively they are keeping MSU in front.
- Montclair seems to own more of the ball, but aside from a couple balls, they really haven't had a clean look at goal.  RPI does a great job at keeping passing lanes very limited
- Halftime 0-0
- Montclair came out in the second half and is taking the game to RPISimplePlayer#2 makes the observation that Montclair is surprisingly very direct, especially since they have so many good players with the ball at their feet.
- Montclair does not value the ball.  Many wasted long balls, over hit corners, RPI can't get a hold of the ball.  They are sitting deep just defending
- Very disciplined but not getting much on the way offensively.
- Montclair just had the best possession of the ball on the ground that ended up with a shot on goal from inside the box. That's the way to do it.33 minutes left
- RPI is definitely defending for the most part.  Haven't had an opportunity on goal yet
- RPi is doing a great job of covering as players move around
- RPI is starting to turn the game around a bit.  Growing in confidence to move forward.  As if Montclair expended all its energy in the first 20 minutes if the half
- Montclair sometimes seems to tune out of game situations which makes them flawed.  Simple drop ball that they didn't challenge allowed RPI to go into an attack that ended in a cross that had to be cleared out in Extremis
- Details.  Montclair is faltering on the details.  Errant passes in the back.  Over hit corners.  Fundamental things.  Seems to me15 minutes left
- RPI is trying to make something happen.  When they do attack it's a bit more methodical than Montclair.  Never looking for a big ball forward.
- Less than three and RPIs back line is heroic right now.0-0 final.  RPI hangs on for a point.

camosfan

I noticed the All American striker for Montclair was not listed, any insights?

SimpleCoach

Quote from: camosfan on September 02, 2022, 06:38:48 AM
I noticed the All American striker for Montclair was not listed, any insights?
Lukovic did not play.  No idea why.

SC.

SimpleCoach

Ohio Northern @ Kenyon

Thursday, Sept. 1, 2022, 5:15 p.m. — Mavec Field, Gambier, Ohio

- Ok.  I am going to come out and say it.  I prefer the Kenyon Lords.
- They groundskeeper who did the field lines ... may have have forgotten that they should be straight
- ONU with their grey with orange  striped tops and orange shorts and socks.
- Kenyon with the classic Lor ... er.... Owls uniform - White tops, black shorts and whit socks.
- Oh, and this is one of the most beautiful places for a game.
- Kenyon just had their first counter and they looked very impressive.
- Also based on the announcer, sounds like Kenyon is starting a number of Freshmen.  No Luke Muther?
- Gerardo Martinez is playing a big role already.  Team is looking for him to get the ball.
- Kenyon had a goal called back for offside.  Shot from Martinez, ONU Keeper#0 does a poor job and spills it and a forward comes in and knocks in the rebound.  All for naught.
- Kenyon really dominating the play to start.  ONU just struggling to hold on to the ball.
- Ball is spending a lot of time in the air
- Kenyon trying to go direct.  ONU is getting a hold of the ball.
- 35 left in the half.
- And like that ONU picks the pocket of a defender and drops it back for another player to drive in to the back of the net from 12 yards out.  This was a mistake on the defender.
- ONU 1;  Kenyon 0
- 34 minutes left.
- And not even a minute later, Kenyon wins a corner.  Ball is sent in for a corner, ONU Keeper comes out for the ball and unopposed, bobbles it and a Kenyon player buries it from 10 yards out.  Major mistake, and intolerable mistake from the ONU Keeper.  Think he tried to get a call for a foul but think he just spilled it.
- ONU 1;  Kenyon 1
- ONU Slowly started to get some control of the ball.  Kenyon still moving it quicker and is ready to jump into the attack, while ONU seems more thoughtful about how they move it up the field.
- Kenyon does a great job of switching the point of attack.  Forces ONU to constantly have to shift.
- Kenyon is knocking.  ONU Keeper#0 redeemed himself with a big one on one save.
- Halftime locked at 1-1
- Kenyon back at it.  ONU looks to be a bit more aggressive the start of this half.
- Kenyon showing early that they are able to get to goal.
- ONU looks to get their attack going, but Kenyon making it difficult.  Kenyon has been a little imprecise in the final third.  If they connect then goals will come.
- And like that.  Kenyon gets a drop ball at midfield, make a couple of short passes then send it up top.  ONU defender misjudges the ball and it goes over his head to the onrushing Kenyon#16(?) , who then buries the ball past the ONU Keeper.
- ONU 1;  Kenyon 2
- ONU refuses to go gently into that good night. ONNU Gets the ball in the box, takes it to the line and drops it back to the 6 and ONU#13 one times the ball past the Kenyon Keeeper .
- ONU 2;  Kenyon 2
- 30 minutes left in half.
- Kenyon keeps working the spaces trying to break down Onu
- Corner sent far post, Kenyon#21 settles the ball, shoots and is blocked, recovers the rebound and rifles it in top corner past the keeper.
- 15 minutes left, ONU 2;  Kenyon 3
- The ONU Keeper looks very shaky.  Careless with the ball, his hands are unsure.  Game day nerves?
- ONU still defending but obviously have shown they can be effective when they are able to get on the attack. 
- Gerardo Martinez is a bit more muted this half.
- And under pressure, Kenyon recovers a ball.  Kenyon#4 goes into the box and is pulled down... naively... from behind.  Penalty Kick.
- Kenyon#10 steps up and buries it high down the middle.  ONU Keeper goes to his left.
- 10 minutes left.
- ONU 2;  Kenyon 4
- At twos, I thought ONU could claw it back.  With ten minutes, down by two, just don't see it happening.
- And with 2 minutes left, Kenyon works the ball through to a forward who is unmarked, who passes it to Kenyon#3, who one times the ball from about 12 past the ONU Keeper.  Game set match.
- ONU 2;  Kenyon 5
- ONU just seemed to lose the plot.  Some poor defensive decisions and mistakes and Kenyon takes advantage.
- And to add insult to injury, Kenyon adds a 6th.  Kenyon#10 picks off a poor pass by an ONU defender and takes it to goal and puts it to the left of the ONU Keeper.
- Full time.  ONU 2;  Kenyon 6
- All I can say is I was expecting more from ONU.  Thought Kenyon was competent, but didn't light it up for me.

SimpleCoach

Ok.  Wanted to watch the W&L v Messiah... but no video recording.  Such a bummer.  Sounds like Messiah really handed it to them in the first half.

SC.

PaulNewman

First, congrats to Messiah and the Messiah faithful.  I didn't get to watch as closely as I wanted.  I'm not sure how much the game reflected that Messiah is great or that W&L simply showed poorly.  No question a very disappointing, lackluster performance for W&L as a team with such sky-high expectations, but clearly Messiah is gonna be a handful for anyone in the country.  I will caution again against any huge overreactions.

I was mildly disappointed in the Kenyon performance and the scoreline did not reflect the competitiveness of the match.  ONU has North Park, OWU, KZoo, Hanover, RHIT, CMU coming up so we'll get a better sense about the Polar Bears.  As for Kenyon, Muther not playing obviously is a major concern and I have no intel there.  Also very concerning that Martinez only played 23 minutes, pretty evenly divided between the two halves.  I think he was the first starter subbed both halves.  Again, not sure what that was about.  Kenyon had a lot of talent but I thought they were sloppy and careless at times, and they also imo looked small.  They are going to miss Hosmer-Quint in the back especially on corners and set pieces.  The new CB that Domino mentioned in another thread is a Massachusetts kid who I know nothing about other than he transferred from Marshall.  I thought he was very solid but worried that he could get beat by quick forwards.  The left outside back yesterday is an Ohio kid who transferred from Drexel and apparently was out all last season with an injury.  Brown played a lot of guys and some for critical minutes who I would not have expected to maybe even play.  He's got a good problem with how to sit prior starters, mix in the frosh talent, mix in the transfers, etc but that also can be a lot to navigate and still keep overall team morale high.  Also wondered if he was resting some players with JCU on tap for tomorrow night, but ONU is too good to play around with, so I just not sure what was going on.

Otherwise, the games that stood out were Rochester handling hyped Cortland and the RPI-MSU draw.

SimpleCoach

@PaulNewman. 

Was a bit surprised as well.  Expecting much more from Kenyon.  Thought it was choppy, not crisp, and quite average looking.  I am not close enough to the program, but even with the 6 goals, not sure I would be pleased.

I can't believe the Rochester v Cortland school.  Going to watch today if  it is available and see if I get it.....

SC.

SimpleCoach

Quote from: SimpleCoach on September 02, 2022, 10:00:49 AM
@PaulNewman. 

Was a bit surprised as well.  Expecting much more from Kenyon.  Thought it was choppy, not crisp, and quite average looking.  I am not close enough to the program, but even with the 6 goals, not sure I would be pleased.

I can't believe the Rochester v Cortland school.  Going to watch today if  it is available and see if I get it.....

SC.

Forget it.  Rochester charges to watch games.

SC.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: SimpleCoach on September 02, 2022, 10:02:36 AM
Quote from: SimpleCoach on September 02, 2022, 10:00:49 AM
@PaulNewman. 

SC.

Boggles my mind that a school would charge...

Forget it.  Rochester charges to watch games.

SC.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Gregory Sager

Quote from: PaulNewman on September 02, 2022, 09:52:58 AM
Otherwise, the games that stood out were Rochester handling hyped Cortland and the RPI-MSU draw.

I would add a third: Carthage 2, Wash U 1. It was the debut of the Firebirds' new head coach, D1 refugee Paul Leese.

It's hardly the end of the world for the Bears, whom I still expect to be very good and very competitive in the UAA. But it says something for Carthage, what with the new coach and the loss of their best backliner (who transferred to Calvin). The Firebirds have underperformed the last few seasons, but that is nevertheless a dangerous team that still has a considerable amount of talent on their current roster.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell