MBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Sul Ross Lobos, February 26, 2005, 03:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Back in 2001, McMurry got the Pool A bid and a bye. Mississippi College the Pool C bid.

Millsaps hosted the first round game and lost to Mississippi College on Thursday night.

MC got on the bus to play at McMurry on Saturday, where McMurry won.

McMurry then went to CNU and lost the William Paterson with the D3Player of the Year in the Sweet 16.

TxFight

I guess the good news is we'll have an ASC team representing in the 3rd round for the 3rd straight year~  ;)

crufootball

Don't post very often on the basketball board too much but I had to share this quote from UMHB's Ken DeWeese in yesterdays Temple Daily Telegram about the great grouping made by the NCAA

"The (NCAA) stuff about providing a great experience for the student-athlete and all of that, it's good for marketing but it's not the truth in reality. And that regardless of sport, not just mine."

I know this quote echos what many of you have been saying and what we say as well during football playoff selections but I was happy to see Coach DeWeese make that quote. If D3 really wants to be all  about the student athelete they have to stop doing stuff like this.

JACKET84

Quote from: mcmfan on February 28, 2011, 05:23:39 PM
It sounds like a rather disingenuous way of making it look like three ASC teams got into the playoffs, whereas in reality it's just one.

I note the women's seedings: HPU is going to California, and Louisiana College to Iowa.  Travel expense doesn't seem to have been an issue here...

Actually it's just the opposite.  HPU to Iowa and LC to Calif.

Pat Coleman

Those teams have to go somewhere. Once you have to put them in a plane, there's not much difference between the various options.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Jerry Bawcom

This is my first post on d3hoops.  I agree with others about the situation in Texas and the American Southwest Conference, where so many times we have to play each other again in post season play.  Don't know the solution though, when geography enters into the equation....
True Crusader Fan !!!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Jerry Bawcom on March 02, 2011, 12:55:27 PM
This is my first post on d3hoops.  I agree with others about the situation in Texas and the American Southwest Conference, where so many times we have to play each other again in post season play.  Don't know the solution though, when geography enters into the equation....
Welcome to the boards, and the McMurry UMHB final was another classic.

Now that Mike Jones has moved upstairs, (and we see UMHB more often than UTD), UMHB has become the team to beat, especially in the West.  Seeing a team playing against a Coach DeWeese team is always fun!

My off-season plea for the 2011-12 season...

Here is my suggestion.  I know that Coach Snow and Coach Holmes have made this plea before.

We need the conference.  We also need the games against D3 opponents.

I would change the way that basketball does things by only counting the intra-division games twoards the division championship.

1)  It gives a team the chance to "jel".  New players can find their role in the first 10-12 games of the year.   Seeing a conference game in the second or third game of the season (occasionally in the season opener, too) is not fair and proportional scheduling.

2)  The season is not over when you have gone 1-6 in inter-division play.  The team gets a new start in the second half of the season.

3) The cross-over games are important for those teams who really have a chance to make the NCAA.  Yes they count towards regional rankings, etc.  If you are concerned about Regional Rankings those crossover losses will hurt your regionally, but the coach who is working in some freshmen will need to time to get the new players up to speed.

4)  Let's be honest.  In this coference, there is a difference in whether your schedule has UMHB/CTX and McM/HSU at home or on the road in crossover play!  The same might be said for the MissColl/LaColl and UTD/UOzarks road trips. Not counting those games towards the division championship is fairer.  The NCAA will deal with the OWP/OOWP of home and away for their calculations, and we need as many in-region games as possible.

Just my thoughts, and I would lobby to do it that way, were I the commissioner!

mcmfan

Quote from: JACKET84 on March 02, 2011, 10:20:18 AM
Quote from: mcmfan on February 28, 2011, 05:23:39 PM
It sounds like a rather disingenuous way of making it look like three ASC teams got into the playoffs, whereas in reality it's just one.

I note the women's seedings: HPU is going to California, and Louisiana College to Iowa.  Travel expense doesn't seem to have been an issue here...

Actually it's just the opposite.  HPU to Iowa and LC to Calif.

Oops, you're right — But that doesn't change my basic point.  Making the post-season for both the men and the women should be more than just playing the same teams all over again.

Alacumba!

THE U - TD

I say the Division III Men's National Champions plays the Division I women's champion and the winner gets the TV rights the following year... Then we have all the funds we need and don't have to worry about geographic locations.  Its brilliant.

TxFight

the ASC just seems to get the shaft when it comes to D3 post-season play...With the exception of two years ago when UMHB and MC got in the football playoffs, if 2 ASC teams make it they wind up playing in football.  In basketball 2 of our 3 teams will be eliminated by a conference opponent.  In softball last year 4 ASC teams were in the same regional (with 5 total teams I believe, might have been 6).  Don't pay much attention to baseball or soccer so i can't vouch for them. 

It just isn't reward for the kids when your toughest conference opponent winds up being your first round opponent in the playoffs, when both of you could make a decent run otherwise.  Couldn't they atleast make it to where they would play in the regional finals or something. 

Gray Fox

There aren't even that many players to pay expenses for compared to football.
Fierce When Roused

mcm_sid

Just a message to let fans know we are providing audio / video for Saturday's round two game

http://www.mcmurrysports.com/news/2011/3/3/MBB_0303114502.aspx

Ralph Turner

mcm_sid

Pat Coleman

You'd probably reach more people posting links on our scoreboard.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.