FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Oline89 on May 18, 2020, 07:30:37 PM
Quote from: gordonmann on May 18, 2020, 05:08:44 PM
QuoteIf you substitute NCAA football for Disney World, what percentage of players/parents would sign?  I bet the majority

Just curious, why do you assume the majority would come back?

I think a sizeable chunk would not come back or (in the case of incoming freshman) won't come at all. Not sure if that's 10 percent, 30, 50 or something else, but the number bandied about in terms of registrations dropping is 10 - 30 percent. Getting 70-90 percent back would still be a majority but I assume a lot of programs cannot stand to lose that chunk of their roster. The smaller programs need the bodies and the larger programs need the money those bodies generate.

I have a few reasons for feeling this way:
1.  The single segment of society least affected by COVID 19 is the under the 24 yo age group.  In this age group, the death rate is under 0.2% (that is death/confirmed case) and the true rate is probably dramatically lower, since it is well established that there are many asymptomatic carriers of the disease, and we only test symptomatic individuals.
2.  I worry about the mental health of this age group, as much as the physical health.  How long can we continue to keep college age students home with mom and dad?  Not healthy for anyone
3.  If we take this group of healthy students, and separate them from the more at risk members of society, then even if they become asymptomatic carriers, there is a lower chance of spread to at risk groups. 
4.  Agree that playing sports (except perhaps golf) eliminates social distancing and certainly no chance of wearing a mask.  But, who cares?  These are healthy kids, tested, closely monitored and separated from the rest of at risk society.
5.  We need to draw a line in the sand at some point.  If you want to close colleges until a vaccine is developed, tested, manufactured, distributed and then given.....18 months may be a pipe dream
6.  Finally, going to college and playing sports is voluntary.  If you don't want to go, don't.  If you don't want to play, don't.

Oline, as a VERY prominent national medical director told a group us about a week ago, while the vaccine is a positive, it is farrrrrrrrrrrr from a or the solution. A large survey was recently conducted and 39% of respondents said that they will NOT ever "subject themselves" to a COVID vaccination (there goes any herd immunity). In fact, even the flu vaccine only prevents some people from getting the flu. In many more cases, it either lessens the severity or does absolutely nothing.

The way that this virus is mutating at this point, the researches and medical professionals are putting their best face on publicly.................while they are baffled and frightened privately. THAT is what scares me the most.

The therapeutic(s) are much more important that any vaccine in a lot of ways. It's the acceptance that 70%-80%, or more, will get this within the next 18-24 months................but the therapeutic prescription will knock it out. That is the gold standard. This vaccine want come anywhere close to what vaccines have done for polio, measles and smallpox/chickenpox.

Scary stuff ahead I'm afraid.................while hoping and praying (literally) as a devout Chrsitian for the best!!

Oline89

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on May 20, 2020, 12:41:13 PM

Oline, as a VERY prominent national medical director told a group us about a week ago, while the vaccine is a positive, it is farrrrrrrrrrrr from a or the solution. A large survey was recently conducted and 39% of respondents said that they will NOT ever "subject themselves" to a COVID vaccination (there goes any herd immunity). In fact, even the flu vaccine only prevents some people from getting the flu. In many more cases, it either lessens the severity or does absolutely nothing.

The way that this virus is mutating at this point, the researches and medical professionals are putting their best face on publicly.................while they are baffled and frightened privately. THAT is what scares me the most.

The therapeutic(s) are much more important that any vaccine in a lot of ways. It's the acceptance that 70%-80%, or more, will get this within the next 18-24 months................but the therapeutic prescription will knock it out. That is the gold standard. This vaccine want come anywhere close to what vaccines have done for polio, measles and smallpox/chickenpox.

Scary stuff ahead I'm afraid.................while hoping and praying (literally) as a devout Chrsitian for the best!!

Few things....herd immunity works without a vaccine, that's the point.  I just don't think this country is prepared to accept  the death toll predictions if we abandon all social distancing, masks, hygiene, etc.  I have not heard much about true therapeutic treatments for the disease, other than plasma transfusions, but a breakthrough here (similar to Tamiflu for influenza) would be ideal.  As far as refusing vaccinations, clearly that is the right of Americans (we don't expatriate citizens for low IQ, let's save that discussion for a later date), but institutions can deny entry to students who refuse vaccinations, happens today for those without MMR, DPT, etc.  The flu vaccine is helpful, but as you said, not 100%....still lessening the chance of infection or decreasing the duration/severity of the disease is hugely positive.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Oline89 on May 21, 2020, 12:57:15 PM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on May 20, 2020, 12:41:13 PM

Few things....herd immunity works without a vaccine, that's the point.  I just don't think this country is prepared to accept  the death toll predictions if we abandon all social distancing, masks, hygiene, etc.  I have not heard much about true therapeutic treatments for the disease, other than plasma transfusions, but a breakthrough here (similar to Tamiflu for influenza) would be ideal.  As far as refusing vaccinations, clearly that is the right of Americans (we don't expatriate citizens for low IQ, let's save that discussion for a later date), but institutions can deny entry to students who refuse vaccinations, happens today for those without MMR, DPT, etc.  The flu vaccine is helpful, but as you said, not 100%....still lessening the chance of infection or decreasing the duration/severity of the disease is hugely positive.

Agree Oline!!

Oline89

Hobart has sent out a tentative plan for re-opening.  It includes starting classes earlier (August 24th), eliminating fall break, and getting the students home by Thanksgiving.  Final exams would be done remotely, and the school would then spend the extended winter break cleaning, getting ready for spring semester.  All in all, seems like a well thought out, reasonable plan. 

UfanBill

Quote from: Oline89 on May 29, 2020, 02:33:25 PM
Hobart has sent out a tentative plan for re-opening.  It includes starting classes earlier (August 24th), eliminating fall break, and getting the students home by Thanksgiving.  Final exams would be done remotely, and the school would then spend the extended winter break cleaning, getting ready for spring semester.  All in all, seems like a well thought out, reasonable plan.

It's good news that schools are working on plans to do whatever needs to be done. Union, on it's three 10 week terms trimester calendar, always breaks at Thanksgiving and resumes in early January.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

jmcozenlaw

Oline - I like the plan for schools as a whole. How do you think that plays out for Men's and Women's Basketball and Wrestling? Hoops starts practicing on October 15, game start around November 7 -10 and go through December 15 -20, with many schools playing holiday tournaments and resuming practices and games the first week of January. Wrestling starts practices around here on October 1, first matches around November 1 and matches similar to the hoops teams. These student athletes live on campus during these dates. I've seen a lot of schedules that have been finalized that take none of this into consideration. In fact, schools who will not be scheduling the school year such as this have scheduled several games against those who have..........this will be a clusterfudge! :)

Oline89

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on May 30, 2020, 12:46:40 PM

Oline - I like the plan for schools as a whole. How do you think that plays out for Men's and Women's Basketball and Wrestling? Hoops starts practicing on October 15, game start around November 7 -10 and go through December 15 -20, with many schools playing holiday tournaments and resuming practices and games the first week of January. Wrestling starts practices around here on October 1, first matches around November 1 and matches similar to the hoops teams. These student athletes live on campus during these dates. I've seen a lot of schedules that have been finalized that take none of this into consideration. In fact, schools who will not be scheduling the school year such as this have scheduled several games against those who have..........this will be a clusterfudge! :)

I guess my tunnel vision about football made me forget sports continue after Thanksgiving... ;D.  Good question, though.  No idea, although Hobart doesn't have wrestling, Hockey and BBall are big.  Maybe teams practice, head home and begin again in January?  Holiday tournaments may still happen.  Reducing the number of games required to be eligible for post season is interesting:

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/diii-reduces-number-required-contests?fbclid=IwAR2fxVoURAgKmz1R4uAPXnfNMb_ZIk7ZVhevA75QL82zfX_pLaAZZgt0U94

Maybe no Winter sports until second semester?

ITH radio

HWS essentially copied Union and Syracuse's plan. Not innovative, but good enough, nonetheless. I have a feeling small groups of fall-winter "bridge" populations of players (e.g., Hockey and BB) can practice given smaller size and relatively "quarantined" groups around campus. It'll likely depend on how the fall goes, assuming any additional outbreaks etc. don't happen or are otherwise kept in check (which is likely, but that's just my optimistic opinion).
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: ITH radio on May 31, 2020, 10:23:55 AM
HWS essentially copied Union and Syracuse's plan. Not innovative, but good enough, nonetheless. I have a feeling small groups of fall-winter "bridge" populations of players (e.g., Hockey and BB) can practice given smaller size and relatively "quarantined" groups around campus. It'll likely depend on how the fall goes, assuming any additional outbreaks etc. don't happen or are otherwise kept in check (which is likely, but that's just my optimistic opinion).

ITH, with finals ending before Thanksgiving and the students being off for close to two months, that is a ton of down time for the student athletes hanging around an empty campus for a two hour long practice or game. I've seen a lot of basketball schedules that have games up until as late as December 20, with some having holiday tournaments and games picking back up January 3 -5. Something doesn't compute here.

ITH radio

Well typically they only stay on campus for a couple of weeks, then head home for Xmas / New Years. HWS does plan to have students take exams virtually, so some of that downtime will be reading and exam days also.

Tbh, I don't think plans are that far ahead. It'll depend on faculty getting back to work in mid June first, then see how it goes from there.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 18, 2020, 12:12:18 PM
From that page:

"I also know many of you will have questions about our athletics programs this fall. Please be assured that our athletics department staff, sports medicine staff, and the director of medicine for IC are working collaboratively to determine a plan and process to re-engage in intercollegiate athletics and recreational sports, and that IC will continue to follow NCAA, NATA, and Liberty League guidelines."

I don't think that the idea of not holding class until Oct. 5 eliminates all athletics until Oct. 5. Schools already compete in fall events before classes start.

Pat, are you working on another podcast? The April 30 podcast was excellent!!!

UfanBill

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on June 02, 2020, 10:45:31 AM
From that page:

"I also know many of you will have questions about our athletics programs this fall. Please be assured that our athletics department staff, sports medicine staff, and the director of medicine for IC are working collaboratively to determine a plan and process to re-engage in intercollegiate athletics and recreational sports, and that IC will continue to follow NCAA, NATA, and Liberty League guidelines."

I don't think that the idea of not holding class until Oct. 5 eliminates all athletics until Oct. 5. Schools already compete in fall events before classes start.

Hey JM...Not a criticism at all but I find it interesting that when you want to contact Pat directly your first choice is the Liberty League board.  I'm thinking we all know Pat holds us in high esteem. Thank you for the compliment...signed the LL Boys.  ;D
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: UfanBill on June 02, 2020, 12:11:36 PM
From that page:

Hey JM...Not a criticism at all but I find it interesting that when you want to contact Pat directly your first choice is the Liberty League board.  I'm thinking we all know Pat holds us in high esteem. Thank you for the complement...signed the LL Boys.  ;D

No criticism taken at all :) . This is the only East Region board with regular activity in the offseason (I don't include the NESCAC.........as their topics are usually even over my head as a Swarthmore  undergrad ;) ). I love the Liberty League and coached one of the first team men's hoops players from the first grade on. I think Oline is actually right outside of Philly just as I am.

Pat Coleman

From that page:

We are -- the last week of May was a bad week for the content we were planning, so we are hoping to come out next week with a different slate of guests and discussions.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ITH radio

Keith's preseason poll / D3 preview is out. Can pick up Street & Smith at most supermarkets. Maybe online too but don't know.

A few observations/comments:

Agree with Del Val as top ranked ER team. A lot of the usual suspects based on 2019 season. Union in at 14 could be a little high given losses to graduation on D, but they deserve to be in preseason Top 25 for sure. Muhlenberg QB Hnatkowsky gets 1st team nod but my preseason Gagliardi favorite is definitely  Kamienski of NCC.