MBB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by awadelewis, October 14, 2012, 08:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbrooks3

Actually think Berry got a decent shake out of the D3 Committee's decision to pair them up in Atlanta with Emory.  I wasn't certain why given what SAA champs have received in the recent past in first round draws.  Remember last year when Rhodes flew to the northwest.  The chair of the Selection Committee Tim Fitzpatrick made an interesting comment when talking to Dave McHugh earlier today about D3 teams who didn't host in the 1st round being rewarded by making a real road trip (maybe to some place different or new) away from campus.  Maybe that explains why the Vikings get the 80 mile trek down the road to familiar environs as opposed to a flight to Walla Walla through Seattle.  Any way, I do think Berry is better than their overall record reflects.  Probably not good enough to knock off the likes of an UAA foe but who knows.  That's why they lace them up & play the game!
🏀🏀🏀

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: pbrooks3 on February 26, 2018, 09:59:12 PM
Actually think Berry got a decent shake out of the D3 Committee's decision to pair them up in Atlanta with Emory.  I wasn't certain why given what SAA champs have received in the recent past in first round draws.  Remember last year when Rhodes flew to the northwest.  The chair of the Selection Committee Tim Fitzpatrick made an interesting comment when talking to Dave McHugh earlier today about D3 teams who didn't host in the 1st round being rewarded by making a real road trip (maybe to some place different or new) away from campus.  Maybe that explains why the Vikings get the 80 mile trek down the road to familiar environs as opposed to a flight to Walla Walla through Seattle.  Any way, I do think Berry is better than their overall record reflects.  Probably not good enough to knock off the likes of an UAA foe but who knows.  That's why they lace them up & play the game!

We tried to move them in the mock bracket and there weren't really options (outside of flying them away, which isn't really an option).
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Division III men's and women's national tournaments are set, teams are where they need to be, and practices underway. Now, it's just a matter of tipping off the games.

But before we tip them off, we need some final thoughts.

Tune in Thursday night to Hoopsville where Dave will talk to a number of guests about their programs and their chances in the NCAA tournament. You can't starting heading down the Road to Rochester or the Road to Salem without getting an idea of who may be joining you, either. Dave will give some insight on how some of the pods just may shake out as well.

Also, earlier in the day, Dave talked with Women's Basketball Nationall Committee chair Bobbi Morgan (also head coach at Haverford) and asked her a lot about the selection process and bracketing for this year's tournament. You can hear that special podcast here: http://bit.ly/2GUbfE0

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Thursday's edition hits the air at 7:00 p.m. ET. You can tune in live here: http://bit.ly/2HSi9ed.

If you have questions, be sure to email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or interact with the show via the social media avenues.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Marc Brown & Sam Toney, New Jersey City men's coach and star player
- Nate Davis, Gettysburg women's coach
- Jeff Rogers, Berry men's coach
- Alex Richey, Oglethorpe women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Dan Englestad, Southern Vermont men's coach
- Ken Scalmanini, Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

tarheelfan

Mike Rejniak

​Dear D3 Faithful ;D,
     I have read many of your posts throughout the years and even met some of you in person, but for those who I haven't met, let me introduce myself: my name is Michael Rejniak and I have spent over 14 years coaching Division 3 basketball and love what our division has done and continues to do for  the sport of basketball. One of the greatest things about Division 3 basketball is the brotherhood that we all have with one another (coaches and players alike). My wish is to showcase the talents of D3 on a national stage in The Basketball Tournament (TBT).  You may have heard me speak about this on the Hoopsville Marathon with Dave McHugh of D3hoops.com (at the 6:11 mark). The TBT is a national tournament that is televised in July/August on ESPN after the NBA season is over. My goal is to put forth an all-star D3 team (current players are ineligible) and have them compete in this tournament to take on Former D1 / semi-pro's to prove that D3 deserves the same respect as other NCAA divisions. The team is mostly complete with former student-athletes from all over the country competing. Once the roster is complete we will be sure to release it through d3hoops. Former Babson College National Champion Matthew Droney '17 will also be assisting me on this journey.

How YOU can help our former elite D3 basketball players

While the end prize of this tournament is a monetary prize, being a D3-lifer, the goal is not the money (we all know that's not why we get into coaching), the goal is to bring an end to the stigma of Division 3 basketball, an awareness of how talented our student-athletes are and that we can compete (and win) against the best. We do need to raise funds for an entry fee, travel, meal and housing expenses for the athletes. In order to do this, we are conducting a crowd-funding campaign through GoFundMe to help make this a reality. These athletes need your support! Just think -- if every Division 3 school donated just $10, we will have raised over $4,000!!!! The link to the GoFundMe Page is below and please SPREAD THE WORD and email me with any questions/concerns at WeAreD3TBT@gmail.com. Thank you in advance for your support and Dave and I look forward to this "D3 Dream Team" taking the court this summer.-Mike Rejniak

Support "We Are D3" In The TBT

rlk

I see Tyler Papadinis has taken the head coaching position at Rhodes College.  He's done a great job as associate head coach at MIT, and I think you're going to be very happy with him at the helm.  Very sharp and a great person all around.
MIT Course VI-3 1987 -- #RollTech

pbrooks3

Nice win on the road today for Centre against the tournament host W&L.  Centre is off to a 10-1 start with the only blemish being the loss to No. 3 Augustana.  Looks as though the best of the SAA includes Sewanee, Berry, Millsaps and the Colonels. 
🏀🏀🏀

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The holidays are over and for many Division III basketball teams, the conference schedules are already in full swing. It doesn't take much time before a casual break ramps up into high-pressure games.

Hoopsville is also back from it's holiday "break" on Sunday evening. Dave tries to get caught up after a couple of weeks of action and wild results. Who impressed during the holidays? Who (re)started conference play with a bang? What does the final two months of the regular season have in store? What will the new year's first Top 25 ballots look like?

Plus, there is a new wins leader in Division III women's basketball. It's not Mike Strong. It's Andy Yosinoff of Emmanuel. We chat with the all-time winningest coach in DIII history.

Sunday's episode of Hoopsville has guests primarily from the Atlantic, Central Northeast, and South Regions, but we try and talk about anything news worthy.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Sunday's edition hits the air LIVE starting at 7:00 p.m. ET. Just click here: http://bit.ly/2SDjtqh

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or use any of the social media options below.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Andy Yosinoff, Emmanuel women's coach
- Greg Mason, Centre men's coach
- Greg Giovanine, No. 3 Augustana men's coach
- Ryan Scott, D3hoops.com columnist

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

pbrooks3

Good shooting night for Centre in defeating Oglethorpe in Atlanta fairly handedly 77-54.  Colonels hit 16-27 from 3-point range.  Centre build momentum after leading @ intermission by 12 in going on a 22-2 run to kick off the 2nd half.  Walker & Sine led the way for Centre.

An exciting finish in Rome with Berry winning by 5 in OT over Sewanee. Berry & Sewanee were knotted at 59 all @ the end of regulation.  These are 2 of the better teams in the SAA.  Either one of them could win the league. 
🏀🏀🏀

awadelewis

Caught the overtime periods in our game with Berry.   Good game with painful result.

Tomorrow's game between Centre and Berry in Rome will be very interesting.   Then Centre gets to travel to Jackson to take on Millsaps.   

pbrooks3

Big Friday night for Coach Greg Mason of Centre as he chalks up career win 382 tying Tom Bryan for most in Centre history.  Colonels are now 18-3 and lead Berry by one game in the SAA.  Mason will try to notch win #383 against a physical Hendrix squad in Conway on Sunday.
🏀🏀🏀

pbrooks3

Solid record-setting win for Centre and Coach Greg Mason at Hendrix this afternoon 62-49.  This marks win # 383 for Mason at Centre in his coaching career surpassing the 382 wins of Coach Tom Bryan.   The Colonels played stifling defense much of the game holding Hendrix to a single basket in the 1st 12 minutes of the game.  Art Walker led the 19-3 Colonels with 17 points.  Congratulations Coach Mason!
🏀🏀🏀

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

pbrooks3

Mason picked up win #384 tonight as the Colonels triumphed over Oglethorpe for their 20th victory on the season 75-54.  Centre's defense was tight again holding OU to 36% shooting.  Stormy Petrels threw the Colonels off stride a bit in the 2nd half with switching zone defenses but each time Oglethorpe cut into the lead Centre had an answer.

This Centre bunch is seemingly rounding into shape particularly on defense.  This has been their calling card the past 2-3 weeks.  Mason has a long bench which can be like a doubled-edged sword as there are nights when depth has been an asset and others when play is sloppy & disjointed.  Players are catching on to their respective roles late in the season and the coaching staff has the luxury of playing 10-11 deep every night with minimal drop off in talent & experience. 

The game of the season will take place Sunday afternoon with Centre hosting 2nd place Berry.  Berry is up on Sewanee right now late in the 2nd half by 7 so they'll likely come to Danville 1 game down.  Berry has all of the ingredients of a road spoiler with experience, senior leadership, a balanced offense and a tremendous D3 level post player in Elijah Hirsh.  A win by Berry Sunday likely cinches a title for them on account of 2 wins over Centre during the regular season; a Centre win would guarantee the Colonels an undisputed SAA title and hosting rights for the tournament in 2 weeks.
🏀🏀🏀

pbrooks3

Today's game between Berry and Centre was a barn-burner with the Colonels coming out of it with a narrow 2-point win 57-55.  Berry dominated much of the first half in going to the halftime up 33-30.  Centre got some key 3 pointers to build a 50-40 lead with a bit over 12 minutes to play.  Then the freeze set in for the Colonels with Berry's defense & physicality taking over.  Berry eventually tied it and the Colonels hung on for dear life with one put back basket from Jacob Bates late and 5 free throws from Perry Ayers and Tucker Sines to seal their 21st win.

This was an important win for Centre as they haven't been in many tight situations in the latter half of the SAA season.  This win cinches the regular season crown for Centre. They did show some team resolve when the offense went into hibernation as it did this afternoon.  This game also tells me Berry and Centre are near equals on the court.  I expect Berry to make some noise in the SAA tournament and potentially beyond that. 
🏀🏀🏀