MBB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, February 24, 2005, 09:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on July 26, 2022, 11:48:30 AM
Quote from: Next Man Up on July 18, 2022, 05:41:39 PM

One of the UW-P recruits is from a far, far northwest suburb of Chicago. From a statistical standpoint, he was the overall second best player last season for his team which finished 27-6. Besides Platteville, he was recruited by some of the other WIAC schools, some CCIW schools, and I believe some American Rivers teams. We've heard that one of the primary factors in his choice was that he is going to be able to attend Platteville for the Wisconsin resident tuition rate.
Not sure if this applies to UWP's other IL recruits.

UW-Platteville has reciprocity with Illinois so all Illinois residents pay Wisconsin tuition rates.  Several other Wisconsin state universities also have reciprocity with Illinois.

And Minnesota, I believe.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

WUPHF

Wisconsin and Minnesota have reciprocity agreements.

Illinois and Wisconsin do not have reciprocity agreements (unless something has changed), but Wisconsin does offer a discount to poach Chicagoland and other parts close to the border.

For example, with Platteville:

$7,914 Wisconsin
$9,762 Minnesota
$12,614 Illinois

https://www.uwplatt.edu/tuition-fees

palum

Quote from: WUPHF on July 26, 2022, 01:00:53 PM
Wisconsin and Minnesota have reciprocity agreements.

Illinois and Wisconsin do not have reciprocity agreements (unless something has changed), but Wisconsin does offer a discount to poach Chicagoland and other parts close to the border.

For example, with Platteville:

$7,914 Wisconsin
$9,762 .Minnesota
$12,614 Illinois

https://www.uwplatt.edu/tuition-fees

At one time it was called the Tri-state Initiative the legislature passed a bill that allowed UW-Platteville to offer lower out of state tuition to Illinois and Iowa students (they still pay more than Wisconsin students). Once it was limited to students majoring in Engineering, Education and Agriculture (I think it's open to all majors now). The hope was get these students educated in Wisconsin and have a Wisconsin company hire them once they graduate. I used to teach part time in the College of Ag at UWP and a third of my class was from Illinois. I asked them why Platteville they would tell me it was cheaper than Ag Schools in Illinois.

tomt4525

https://www.channel3000.com/he-was-an-incredible-person-coach-of-uw-whitewater-basketball-star-derek-gray-who-died-suddenly-shares-memories/

The story of Derek Gray's passing is even worse than I could imagine.  It happened at a team function, a camp for kids.  These kids and Derek's teammates were all there seeing him collapse and ultimately passing away.  On top of feeling awful for the Gray family as well as the Whitewater community, I feel extremely sorry for anyone who witnessed this tragedy.

PauldingLightUP

UW-La Crosse 2022-2023 schedule:

https://uwlathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2022-23

Non cons: vs Saint John's, at Marietta Tournament (at Marietta, vs La Roche/Guilford), at Wartburg Tournament (vs Cornell, vs Wartburg/CUW), vs Ripon, at Luther, vs Trine, vs Saint Mary's, at Augustana, at Bethel

Ralph Turner

Quote from: tomt4525 on July 26, 2022, 09:49:28 AM
Information on Derek Gray's passing has been sparse, but from what I have seen...he was playing basketball when he passed away.
Additional information on the passing of Derek Gray.

From the article...

"It was a cardiac event," UW-Whitewater Men's Basketball Coach Pat Miller told 27 News. "He had a blockage."

https://www.wkow.com/news/coach-whitewater-basketball-players-sudden-death-cardiac-related/article_95bbf726-0e07-11ed-a5de-233e74827dab.html

Blockages in coronary vessels are usually due to atherosclerosis in 60+ year olds.
The first thing that comes to my mind is a blood clot arising in the vessel from an inflammatory process, an endotheliitis

tomt4525

As I alluded to before, it's official now.  6'10" Hays(KS) C, Dylan Ruder, is transferring from Kansas Wesleyan to UWSP.  I don't know how he translates to the WIAC but I hope he can help.  He is much more mobile than Vander Velden is and should atleast provide more rim protection if he's on the court.

PauldingLightUP

UW-River Falls 2022-2023 schedule.

https://uwrfsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2022-23

Non cons: at Gustavus, Wheaton Tournament (John Carroll, Hanover/Wheaton), at Northwestern, vs Finlandia, at Viterbo, n Carroll, at St. Olaf, vs Hamline, vs Northland, vs St. Scholastica.

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

tomt4525

Former 6'3" Abbotsford basketball player, Cade Faber, is transferring from Knox College to UWSP.  Faber was Honorable Mention D4 All State and leading scorer and rebounder in Abbotsford history.

Faber averaged about 4 pts and 4 rebounds a game as a freshman at Knox.  He doesn't look like much of a shooter but brings some elite athleticism.

PauldingLightUP

UWSP got a nice new Sidearm website this week, but still no mens basketball schedule. Here's 8/11 games confirmed by the other team.

UWSP
11/8 vs St Olaf
11/12 Webster
11/13  IWU/YU
11/19 vs Edgewood
11/22 vs WLC
11/25 at Hope
11/26 at Calvin
12/8  vs Trine

With three remaining games, my speculation is the annual game against Augustana the week before Christmas and then two games between Christmas and New Years somewhere. Maybe even someone knows where their holiday trip is, but I can't find it at the present on other schedules.

Greek Tragedy

Good work, PauldingLightUP.  I was kind of looking around the usual suspects to figure out Point's schedule in reverse. It doesn't look like they're playing any of their canceled West Coast games from last year, so it seems they are out of the equation.

BTW, it looks like the Edgewood game is in Madison, not Point. I would've liked the WLC and Edgewood game swapped because Milwaukee is only an hour away from me. Madison is 2+.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

PauldingLightUP

Good correction, my bad. Pointers make the trip to the Edgedome.

tomt4525

From his social media account, looks like Cliff McCray is actually leaving Point for a conference rival....Whitewater.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: tomt4525 on August 05, 2022, 07:27:05 PM
From his social media account, looks like Cliff McCray is actually leaving Point for a conference rival....Whitewater.

He started at Stout 3 seasons ago. Then did pretty well when he transferred to Point for the Covid year. Played all 8 games and actually started 5. Not sure what happened last season. Played in only 5 games, no starts and played 12 minutes a game. To be fair, it looks like he was credited a game but played zero minutes.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!