WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogK

Flying Dutch Fan was responding to iwu70's post about the IWU women's team, so it was solely a conversation about the female teams at Hope and IWU. Therefore those teams could face the same opponents in Italy.
No gender confusion was involved.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: itsnotmeitsyou on August 04, 2022, 09:20:59 AM
Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on August 03, 2022, 09:57:54 AM
Interesting that the Hope women's team is also going to Italy (August 8-18) with a similar 3-4 game schedule.  Wonder if the teams will both play against the same opponents or cross paths while there...

https://www.hollandsentinel.com/story/sports/2022/07/31/hope-women-heading-italy-basketball-cultural-immersion/10183824002/
I'm not 100% certain... but I'm guessing the women's team will play against teams comprised of women and the men's team will play against other men's teams. So, NO - they will not be playing the same teams.

You should have stopped with the bolded part above - since that's the only part you got right  :P

Quote from: iwu70 on August 02, 2022, 04:31:11 PM
As mentioned on the men's board, the IWU women are also back at work, practicing for their trip to Italy -- Rome, Florence and Venice -- likely playing 3-4 games during the tour. 
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

iwu70

Yes, IWU women to Italy, IWU men to Greece.  Each team playing 2-3 games, vs. club teams, maybe the U18 national teams etc.  Not very clear.  Long article in today's Pgraph about it all.  Much of it for team bonding, tourism sites, good eating . . . with some family members going along for the fun.   These are educational tourism endeavors, international and cultural experiences, with a little basketball thrown in for fun, for good measure.  Educational tourism with basketball characteristics . . . I don't think Coach Rose or Coach Smith take the basketball outcomes too too seriously, and will use the trips to have everyone play some, to get further reads on where the players are going into the full practices come mid-October.  Both teams actually have a pretty clear idea who will likely be in the starting line-up come mid-November, but more sorting and assessing to do on the full rotation, and on newbies, folks possibly stepping up from limited roles last year to more minutes.   No incoming freshmen allowed to travel. 

IWU'70

RogK

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

the new Millikin roster features 12 returning players and 8 newcomers :
https://athletics.millikin.edu/sports/womens-basketball/roster
last year's stats for Sarah Isaf, one of the newcomers, may be examined here :
https://stats.njcaa.org/sports/wbkb/2021-22/div2/teams/parklandcollege?view=lineup&r=0&pos=st
= =

iwu70

IWU 2022-23 roster now up.  Includes six freshmen and one junior transfer with three years eligibility left.   Looks like a strong class - athletically and academically.   Some size which the Titans need in the paint . . . perhaps in the next few years to come.

IWU '70

RogK

the new North Central roster :
https://northcentralcardinals.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/2022-2023
only two newcomers, both freshmen ... several of the returning players played just a smattering of minutes in '21-'22
... when we last saw the Cardinals, they lost by 42 to Carroll

itsnotmeitsyou

Quote from: RogK on September 04, 2022, 12:55:29 PM
only two newcomers, both freshmen ... several of the returning players played just a smattering of minutes in '21-'22

What a miserable job of recruiting by the NCC coaching staff during this past cycle. With the transfer portal (and immediate eligibility), extra COVID-year eligibility, JUCOs, and many other factors... it has NEVER been easier to change the competitive fortunes of an athletic team. Look no further than Millikin and Carroll (who is doing it for the second time in Coach Schultzs' 7 seasons) as proximate examples.

The writing is on several of the proverbial walls in this crumbling house of cards.

lmitzel

Quote from: itsnotmeitsyou on September 06, 2022, 09:58:14 PM
Quote from: RogK on September 04, 2022, 12:55:29 PM

What a miserable job of recruiting by the NCC coaching staff during this past cycle. With the transfer portal (and immediate eligibility), extra COVID-year eligibility, JUCOs, and many other factors... it has NEVER been easier to change the competitive fortunes of an athletic team. Look no further than Millikin and Carroll (who is doing it for the second time in Coach Schultzs' 7 seasons) as proximate examples.

The writing is on several of the proverbial walls in this crumbling house of cards.

I mean, NCC's getting some reinforcements at the forward spots with Sadie Jerkovic coming back from injury plus getting an extra year out of Mitrese Smith, something I didn't think was going to happen. Also we're bringing back a pair of All-CCIW caliber players in Elle Sutter and Alli Pearson, so the backcourt is in pretty good shape.

Yes, only bringing in a couple of freshmen isn't ideal. But you're bringing back a group that has been competitive with the top of the CCIW (except for a clearly poor matchup with a good Carroll team). I'm not saying NCC is winning the CCIW, but this group will contend for a tournament spot.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

RogK

lmitzel, there must be ongoing revisions to the roster.
I didn't recall Mitrese Smith on my first look at the '22-'23 list, but Jurkovic was there.
Tonight, no Jurkovic on the roster, but Smith is there.
I guess it doesn't matter before late October.

lmitzel

Quote from: RogK on September 08, 2022, 11:13:12 PM
lmitzel, there must be ongoing revisions to the roster.
I didn't recall Mitrese Smith on my first look at the '22-'23 list, but Jurkovic was there.
Tonight, no Jurkovic on the roster, but Smith is there.
I guess it doesn't matter before late October.

I don't remember seeing her at first either and then when I went to respond she was again.

Eh, it's early.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE