Goodman: NCAA to grant another year of eligibility for COVAD impacted S-As

Started by Ron Boerger, March 13, 2020, 01:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1238509859856924672

"The NCAA's Council Coordination Committee has agreed to grant relief for the use of a season of competition for student-athletes who have participated in spring sports.

Committee will also discuss issues for winter sport student-athletes."

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Ron Boerger on March 13, 2020, 01:44:35 PM
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1238509859856924672

"The NCAA's Council Coordination Committee has agreed to grant relief for the use of a season of competition for student-athletes who have participated in spring sports.

Committee will also discuss issues for winter sport student-athletes."

Giving it to winter sports would blow up the statistics, though, especially if it applied to all students who played this year (not sure how they could do it for only seniors).  We'd end up with Jake Ross and Eric Demers as the all-time highest scorers in mbb.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

gbpuckfan

Spring sports may not play, so that I get.

For winter sports, it sucks the playoffs weren't held. But many teams were already done. And if you got hurt last weekend, you'd be well beyond the medical redshirt games  played. I don't see how the winter sports can get another season.
St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

Ithaca798891

So one thing I keep wondering is if this is likely to impact a small number of SAs.

I mean, you're still continuing with academics during this time, so you'd likely have completed the requirements for a degree before your eligibility runs out. How many S-A's are going to be able to afford an additional year of school/grad school? Particularly with so many people losing jobs or being furloughed right now?

I think it's the right decision to give eligibility. But I'm not sure it will have a massive impact on rosters.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Ithaca798891 on March 31, 2020, 09:00:13 PM
So one thing I keep wondering is if this is likely to impact a small number of SAs.

I mean, you're still continuing with academics during this time, so you'd likely have completed the requirements for a degree before your eligibility runs out. How many S-A's are going to be able to afford an additional year of school/grad school? Particularly with so many people losing jobs or being furloughed right now?

I think it's the right decision to give eligibility. But I'm not sure it will have a massive impact on rosters.

Definitely an issue for a lot of D3 student-athletes.  There are some who might be able to take advantage of graduate programs at their school (assuming they have any desire to go that route, and assuming their school has a graduate program of interest, if indeed it has any).

D1 is adjusting their scholarship limits for one year *and* providing financial assistance via its Student Assistance Fund.   Per this NPR story "Some details still have to be ironed out. For instance, if a senior graduates this year and wants to come back for another year of sports, what are the academic requirements?"   One would think the same would be true for all divisions.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

You might see a lot of grad transfers.  If you can play another year and you're already planning on a grad degree, especially for a spring sport when you've had a semester to get your legs under you.  I'm sure it'll happen.

My question, as I've asked on other boards, is how this might affect players who've already missed a year for whatever reason. The statements have all said this spring won't count towards their 10 semesters or 4 seasons, but if this would've been your 10th semester, for a Spring sport, you'd have to sit out school entirely in the fall to play in the spring.  You've effectively cost that player the season anyway.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Oline89

So here is my question, let's  say the entire senior class decides to stay for another year.  Now what happens to the rising juniors?  Double the number of eligible seniors means less playing time across the board.  What about the incoming recruits?  Would you want to attend a school where there is double the senior class?

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: Oline89 on April 01, 2020, 11:31:29 AM
So here is my question, let's  say the entire senior class decides to stay for another year.  Now what happens to the rising juniors?  Double the number of eligible seniors means less playing time across the board.  What about the incoming recruits?  Would you want to attend a school where there is double the senior class?
Remember many who come into a class as a freshman, have already left the program. They either left because they saw the righting on the wall, for playing time, Were cut, or could not handle the academic load. So in many cases we are not talking Huge senior classes. Yes they would be larger, than typical.
And how many incomming Freshman don't think they can compete. Many I have seen come in expecting to get playing time right away, no matter who is ahead of them.

Coaches will also adjust there classes down. How many seniors who did not play much will come back thinking they will get time their final year?

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Oline89 on April 01, 2020, 11:31:29 AM
Each S-A will have to decide on their own.  And how many first-years see significant playing time in the global scheme of things, especially at better programs?   What are they going to do if they don't like the situation, defer admission a year? 

Also can't see a bunch of S-As *wanting* to stick around another year, especially when they're paying their own way or taking out loans, and would imagine that academic scholarship/financial aid for students who have already met graduation requirements will be much less especially with the market-driven haircut in endowments (current and potential future if the economy can't recover).  Sure, there will be some.