A Little Off Topic, but a Question I’m Curious About…

Started by VAFury, March 27, 2022, 09:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAFury

Okay, so here goes. We have a soccer team being torn apart by defense v offense strife...

What statistic sounds more concerning?

1) You got off 11 shots, but only got 1 goal?

Or

2) Your opponent got off only 4 shots, but scored 3
Goals.

If we are ONLY looking at statistics. or using them to prove a point, what would you make of it?

WLCALUM83

Quote from: VAFury on March 27, 2022, 09:48:16 PM
Okay, so here goes. We have a soccer team being torn apart by defense v offense strife...

Or

Goals.

If we are ONLY looking at statistics. or using them to prove a point, what would you make of it?

On first reaction, (without knowing what the team's strategy on either side of the ball normally is, more often than not) I'd say No. 2.

Not to put you or anyone on the spot, again, it depends on the match-up. If normally low-scoring Team A has a match-up with normally high-scoring Team B, A may try to spend more of a chunk of the game on defense, and hope to hang around to either be in it at the end or force extra-time or PK's. (more so if Team A has a strong goalie).

Regarding stat #1, Team A can only control so much of Team B's defense. (Either Team A is shooting way off target, or Team B's D is standing on its' head, or the bar/posts are extremely unkind).
"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."

VAFury

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on March 28, 2022, 09:12:04 AM
Quote from: VAFury on March 27, 2022, 09:48:16 PM

Or

Goals.

On first reaction, (without knowing what the team's strategy on either side of the ball normally is, more often than not) I'd say No. 2.

Not to put you or anyone on the spot, again, it depends on the match-up. If normally low-scoring Team A has a match-up with normally high-scoring Team B, A may try to spend more of a chunk of the game on defense, and hope to hang around to either be in it at the end or force extra-time or PK's. (more so if Team A has a strong goalie).

Regarding stat #1, Team A can only control so much of Team B's defense. (Either Team A is shooting way off target, or Team B's D is standing on its' head, or the bar/posts are extremely unkind).

And you actually addressed a major part of my point.  These statistics (And not even really sure how accurate they are) were provided without any context as some sort of "Gotcha" and my initial thought was, "I don't think this is the 'win' you all think it is."...  There's much more to it, and neither stat is particularly impressive.