Posters' Poll

Started by Mr. Ypsi, January 06, 2006, 03:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

As the (reluctant) tabulator of our first ever Posters' Poll, I thought I'd open a new thread so as not to overwhelm the Top 25 Talk (and to avoid possible confusion over which poll was being discussed).

The poll is initially open to anyone who wishes to participate.  To maintain continuity, however, no new voters will be allowed after the second poll.

Voting will be weighted by poster status: HoF voters will be counted thrice, starters and above will be counted twice, all others once.  Status is as of your first poll participation and will not change later.

Each poll will be for games through Sunday (beginning this Sunday, the 8th); ballots must be sumitted by 7pm Tuesday.  Those wishing to be admired for their perspicacity (or mocked for their bone-headedness!) may post their votes here; those preferring a secret ballot should send to cabonney@netscape.net (or use the message service on this site).

Ballots which in my opinion are too quirky or 'homerish' will be questioned off-line, then either accepted or rejected.  Anyone listing Caltech or Maine-Presque Isle on their top 25 will be summarily ejected! ;D

Anything I've forgotten to mention?

smedindy

When I start doing my power ratings (perhaps in a week or so) my ballot may reflect the power ratings more than anything, so if there's a hitch in the get along at some point that's it.

I'll also post my bottom 10 based on power ratings when we start to do that. Will it be Caltech, or Principia, or Albertus VO-5 Magnus Pelkowski?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Way to go Ypsi.  I prefer the method Old School proposed last season, but reality trumps proposal any day in my book.  It should be fun.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Hoops Fan on January 06, 2006, 04:01:45 PM

Way to go Ypsi.  I prefer the method Old School proposed last season, but reality trumps proposal any day in my book.  It should be fun.

I'm just winging it - if you or OS reminds me what that method was, I'll consider it.

Please don't anyone mis-construe my last paragraph - I have neither the time nor the intention of challenging picks just because I disagree.  I'm thinking more along the lines of someone putting 5 teams from their home conference in their top ten, etc.  (Or, of course, totally omitting IWU prior to their 10th loss! ;))

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

He was talking about having two or three voters from each region, etc, basically making it more structured.  I do like your method though, assuming there aren't rediculous amounts of voters.  Pat uses 25, it seems like a decent number and definately keeping it the same each week is important.  You need to make sure people are committed to voting every week.  Whatever you want is cool; you're the one doing the compilation work.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

John Gleich

A week or so ago, when Ypsi and OS and others were talking about the top 25, I wasn't really sure if I wanted to participate... but I've changed my mind, and I'll have my picks in, probably after Saturday night's games!!
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Hoops Fan on January 06, 2006, 04:44:10 PM

He was talking about having two or three voters from each region, etc, basically making it more structured.  I do like your method though, assuming there aren't rediculous amounts of voters.  Pat uses 25, it seems like a decent number and definately keeping it the same each week is important.  You need to make sure people are committed to voting every week.  Whatever you want is cool; you're the one doing the compilation work.

That WOULD make more sense for a 'serious' poll, but (although I HOPE posters take their picks seriously!) I see this more as a fun thing - certainly not intended to compete with Pat's poll!  (Though the differences in the polls may make for some lively discussions.)

I didn't want the responsibility of selecting pollsters - I'm not sure I know enough to select for some regions, and how could I limit the Midwest or Great Lakes to only 2 or 3 without p***ing off some on-line friends?! ;) 

(Besides, is diehardfan now Midwest, Middle Atlantic, or West?  Is David Collinge Great Lakes or West?  You see my problem?!  ;D)

sac

Well to Dave and April, anyone East of Denver is an East Coast voter.  :D ;D

Count me in M.Y.

Maybe we can get folks to post just thier Top 10 on the site so as not to overburden the eyes and brain.

My suggestion would be to count anyone who votes even if they miss a few.  Some people are a little too busy to remember to do it every week and might miss a week or two.

Maybe you could do a "Select 10"  made up of most frequent posters.  I guess that depends on the number of voters you get.

Should be fun

smedindy

I think 25 is fine. And I think we do need consistent pollsters.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: sac on January 06, 2006, 06:41:29 PM
Well to Dave and April, anyone East of Denver is an East Coast voter.  :D ;D

I suspect they'll have to be on the Left Coast a few more years before they take that attitude!  April is still obviously a Wheaton gal, and I suspect David (aside from New Orleans) is still a Scot at heart.

If there are more than 30-35 voters, expect my resignation!  My notepads are not unlimited, and my abacus may catch fire if I try to tabulate 65 votes!

Yes, to maintain consistency, I hope that voters will plan to vote every week (I realize that will NOT happen entirely (I can't offer the big bucks, like Pat ;)), but PLAN to or please don't participate).  That's also why no new voters are permitted after the second week.  Those who vote in either of the first two polls WILL be counted later, but please TRY to participate consistently if you participate.

Ralph Turner

Let's limit the number of teams that we can vote for to 15, which will help ease the workload.  From that, we can fill out the remaining 10 in the "Top 25".

Mr. Ypsi

Ralph,

That is VERY tempting, except I'm afraid the top 9 or so are so obvious that I'm worried whether we would reach 25!

I'm used to grading 50+ essay exams in <48 hours, so I'll get it done somehow!

No GUARANTEES on when results will be out, but I expect they will usually be on Tuesday nite or Wednesday.

smedindy

Ypsi I can help if'n you need it.

Mr. Ypsi

Thanks, Smed,

The compiling I can handle (UNLESS there turn out to be 70+ voters!), but I've never tackled table formatting on this site.  If posters don't mind that it looks pretty gross, I'm good.  If you've got the formatting down, I could email you the results and you could post them looking FINE!  Let me know.

John Gleich

Just a thought... but to present the pollster's top 25, perhaps you could Email, in regular spreadsheet format, who the top 25 are, and Pat could post them similar to the way the regular top 25 is.  The only reason why I say that is because O.S. tried to tackle the tables earlier this year and gave up because it would take SO extremely long to figure it out just for one poll!

I have no idea if Pat would agree to that, with everything else he's doing, I'm not quite so sure.... but it is a thought.
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich