FB: Presidents' Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.115

Quote from: MUC57 on April 24, 2020, 02:20:27 PM
Quote from: E.115 on April 24, 2020, 12:07:55 PM
Cool history fact for the Spartan fans out there.

Article from Forbes highlighting the 1918 college football season, and Case Tech received an indirect shout out:

The 1918 season was also noteworthy for the head coaching debut of Knute Rockne. The 30-year-old's first game in charge of the Notre Dame sideline, following four years as an assistant in South Bend, was a late-September victory over Case Tech (known today as Case Western Reserve) in Cleveland.

Coronavirus Sports Shutdown Brings To Mind 1918, When Spanish Flu And WWI Disrupted College Football

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomlayberger/2020/04/20/spanish-influenza-world-war-i-wreaked-havoc-on-1918-college-football-season/#e2f7e0457c9e

Case Tech actually played Notre Dame, Michigan, and Ohio State that season.  The Notre Dame game was home in Cleveland.

E.115

Case is not the only school to play some "big"schools.
Mount Union, over the years, has played: Michigan,Michigan St.,Notre Dame, Ohio State and Pittsburgh.
Toal record for these games - Mount Union: Wins 0
                                                                Losses 16
So we have experience with the marquis names as well.  :'(  :o  ;D

Ha!  Well I'd say you guys totally redeemed yourselves in later years with 13 national titles.

Interestingly enough, this specific 1918 Case Tech team had a brutal opening schedule, starting with Notre Dame, Michigan, and then...Mount Union! (tough 0-3 start)  https://case.edu/its/archives/Seasons/cfoot1918.htm

So noteworthy Mount also played the big boys of Case Tech back in the day as well :)

Ralph Turner

In the 1940's and 1950's Hardin-Simmons was in the Border Conference, Texas Tech. UT-El Paso, New Mexico, New Mexico State, Arizona, Arizona State, and Northern Arizona

Ralph Turner

Quote from: MUC57 on April 24, 2020, 02:20:27 PM
Quote from: E.115 on April 24, 2020, 12:07:55 PM
Cool history fact for the Spartan fans out there.

Article from Forbes highlighting the 1918 college football season, and Case Tech received an indirect shout out:

The 1918 season was also noteworthy for the head coaching debut of Knute Rockne. The 30-year-old's first game in charge of the Notre Dame sideline, following four years as an assistant in South Bend, was a late-September victory over Case Tech (known today as Case Western Reserve) in Cleveland.

Coronavirus Sports Shutdown Brings To Mind 1918, When Spanish Flu And WWI Disrupted College Football

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomlayberger/2020/04/20/spanish-influenza-world-war-i-wreaked-havoc-on-1918-college-football-season/#e2f7e0457c9e

Case Tech actually played Notre Dame, Michigan, and Ohio State that season.  The Notre Dame game was home in Cleveland.

E.115

Case is not the only school to play some "big"schools.
Mount Union, over the years, has played: Michigan,Michigan St.,Notre Dame, Ohio State and Pittsburgh.
Toal record for these games - Mount Union: Wins 0
                                                                Losses 16
So we have experience with the marquis names as well.  :'(  :o  ;D
...must have been money games...  ;)

MUC57

E.115

Gave you a +K because I always read your stuff and I'm a huge Case Western Reserve fan. Yes, Mount has 13 national titles but nowhere near your academic reputation.
Go Spartans!  ;D
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Bob.Gregg

Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

ADL70

With today's Twitter "Welcome" announcement for All-Ohio Safety Marco Toth, there is a very real possibility that the Spartan's D backfield could have three Mentor Cardinal alums, if not this upcoming season then the following. DJ Wolf started one game last season as a freshman and will likely be a starter in the fall. And joining them is another 2024 class addition, CB Sonny Oddo.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

E.115

^ Great news.  The last two announced on the CWRU Football Twitter page look like they could both get some playing time as freshmen:

Marco Toth, DB - Mentor, OH

- Div 1 1st Team All-Ohio
- 1 of 614 ranking in his class!

https://www.news-herald.com/sports/high-school-sports/football/mentors-marco-toth-to-play-football-at-case-western-reserve/article_644e685a-8bdb-11ea-9ca1-b30e7b82e4df.html

Riley Knurek, WR - North Royalton, OH

- 4.5 speed

https://northroyaltonathletics.com/2019/09/30/royalton-recorder-riley-knurek-the-bears-big-play-guy/

DagarmanSpartan

Speaking of the former "big time" history of Case Tech and Western Reserve football, here are some interesting tidbits.

Western Reserve is the only Ohio school with an all-time winning record against Ohio State (6-5-1).  Last meeting 1934.

The 1902 Case team scored the first touchdown ever against a Fielding Yost coached Michigan team (he had started his career at Michigan with TWELVE straight shutouts!).

Case Tech has a 10-11-2 record against Ohio State all time.

Alabama's first game in the north occurred against Western Reserve in 1920.

Western Reserve defeated Arizona State in the 1941 Sun Bowl.

Ohio's first televised college game was in 1948 between Western Reserve and Kent State; a Mid-American Conference matchup.  Western Reserve continued to play in the MAC until 1954.

Now..............here's the MOST amazing thing:

From 1967 until 1970, despite being a single university, Case and Western Reserve continued to field separate "small time" athletic teams!  Although the schools merged in 1967......................SPORTS did not merge until 1970!!!!

And until 1987, undergraduates still applied to either Case OR Western Reserve, ............... NOT to Case Western Reserve!

My own graduating class (1994) was literally the first in CWRU history whose undergraduate diplomas didn't have either Case Institute of Technology or Western Reserve College on them!

MUC57

DagarmanSpartan

Nice bit of history on Case and Western Reserve. Well done. Thanks.  ;D
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

ADL70

Quote from: E.115 on May 01, 2020, 07:46:59 PM
^ Great news.  The last two announced on the CWRU Football Twitter page look like they could both get some playing time as freshmen:

Marco Toth, DB - Mentor, OH

- Div 1 1st Team All-Ohio
- 1 of 614 ranking in his class!

https://www.news-herald.com/sports/high-school-sports/football/mentors-marco-toth-to-play-football-at-case-western-reserve/article_644e685a-8bdb-11ea-9ca1-b30e7b82e4df.html

Riley Knurek, WR - North Royalton, OH

- 4.5 speed

https://northroyaltonathletics.com/2019/09/30/royalton-recorder-riley-knurek-the-bears-big-play-guy/

Presuming the season can be played (NBA reportedly mulling delaying next season till December over concerns if fans will attend games earlier) The big holes for the Spartans to fill are DL, CB, and OL.

The incoming class is really strong on DEs and I think it's likely that two first-years start. Schuster returns at CB, but no experienced backup returns. Toth's Mentor teammate Sonny Oddo played CB and reportedly runs 4.5 40. His brother Dominic was an NCAA qualifier at 100M at CWRU.

The incoming class is also heavy (pun intended) on OLs with four weighing in at 270 or more (2 are 6'4 290). One of them should join four returning starters.

One other recruit who caught my eye is RB John Manzuk 6'1 195 and 4.5 40.

If D1 football moves to spring, could D3 still play in the fall? They could fill out the fall TV schedule ala the 1982 NFL strike when Wittenberg played BW on CBS.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

ADL70

A couple of minor corrections D-man mostly because I was around then and you weren't.

Only football merged in 1970 it was 71-72 school year.when other sports did.

The 1969 and 1970 classes could opt for a CWRU or WRU or CIT diploma. My 1970 CWRU diploma was signed by the Dean of Adelbert College (hence ADL 70)
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

Pat Coleman

I don't know that we can do fall sports in the spring in conjunction with spring sports. We have a clip from the NCAA's VP for D-III, Dan Dutcher, in the top 15 minutes of the podcast about this, and then we also have a former D-III student-athlete and coach who is now working in higher ed, talking about how this affecting schools and sports programs. That's a 12-minute conversation, starting around the 45-minute mark.

https://www.d3blogs.com/d3football/2020/04/30/atn-podcast-274-who-knows-whats-next/
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ADL70

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 03, 2020, 11:50:21 AM
I don't know that we can do fall sports in the spring in conjunction with spring sports. We have a clip from the NCAA's VP for D-III, Dan Dutcher, in the top 15 minutes of the podcast about this, and then we also have a former D-III student-athlete and coach who is now working in higher ed, talking about how this affecting schools and sports programs. That's a 12-minute conversation, starting around the 45-minute mark.

https://www.d3blogs.com/d3football/2020/04/30/atn-podcast-274-who-knows-whats-next/

Yes I listened on Friday. The logistics problem of moving fall sports to spring was pointed out (facilities and training staff for two). Those aren't big issues in d1 and more so than d3, d1 relies on ticket sales which could be effected more this fall than next spring.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

DagarmanSpartan

ADL70,

Alums from the 1970s that I've met said that their diplomas said "Case Western Reserve University" at the top, but underneath that still mentioned either Case Institute of Technology or Western Reserve College; something that continued until my graduation year in 1994.

That year was the first time that undergrad diplomas said "Case Western Reserve University" at the top, and then underneath said "on the recommendation of the Faculty of" followed by either "Case School of Engineering," "College of Arts and Sciences," "Weatherhead School of Management" (that was mine), or "Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing."

I had a "Western Reserve College" sweatshirt that I wore during my first few years there.  At that time, everyone was still either a "Casie," a "Reservie," or a "Nurse" depending upon which major/degree program and corresponding core curriculum they chose.

I sure am glad that that nonsense finally came to an end!

I didn't realize that some sports were still separate until after 1970.

ADL70

Adelbert, Mather and Cleveland Colleges were consolidated in 1972 to form Western Reserve College of Arts and Sciences, then at some point Western Reserve was dropped.

There is an Austin microbrewery Adelbert's. I often have to correct mispronunciations. It's Uh- DEL-bert.

Latest "Welcome to CWRU" is Jace Merritt an OL from Ft Worth who was All-State HM for private and parochial schools and reports on twitter a PWO from FCS Incarnate Word.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO