2018 World Cup Bracket Challenge

Started by blooter442, June 08, 2018, 12:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooter442

Young taking free kicks is the new Kane taking corners.

At least for now, "football's coming home!"

JFPIV

Loved watching the English commentators on twitter yesterday.

They went from nervy to WORLD CUP WINNERS to nervy to crap to horrible crap to putrid to WORLD CUP WINNERS!  In a two hour span.  it was almost as entertaining as the game.

blooter442

Salah looked not 100% but great penalty nonetheless. Too bad the rest of Egypt didn't look at the races at all. Thought there could have been a foul on the first goal but the second and third were legit, although I do wonder if they get either of those two after the first (every goal is an independent event but momentum is huge). Anyway, Russia deserved winners, and based on current form you wouldn't bet against them.

truenorth

Russia have certainly won both of their opening group stage games in convincing fashion, but I don't seem them being at the same level of quality as Brazil, Germany, Spain, Belgium, France, etc.  They are playing in their home country, which as we know can cut both ways.  We'll see how they do in the knockout rounds.

Mr.Right

As I said before the winner of Group A has the absolute easiest road to the Semi's. Take a look for yourselves. The winner of Russia v Uruguay is huge.

Mr.Right

I don't speak a lick of Spanish but I cannot tell you how much more enjoyable it is to watch Telemundo. Fox announcers are just terrible.

blooter442

Quote from: truenorth on June 19, 2018, 04:25:04 PM
Russia have certainly won both of their opening group stage games in convincing fashion, but I don't seem them being at the same level of quality as Brazil, Germany, Spain, Belgium, France, etc.  They are playing in their home country, which as we know can cut both ways.  We'll see how they do in the knockout rounds.

Absoultely, truenorth, I don't think they are at the same level as those countries you mentioned. That said, bar Belgium, all underwhelmed at least in their opening games (could perhaps excuse France since they won, but I think they were fortunate). I think we will have a better understanding of the other teams' relative strengths after the second round of group games, or, better yet, after the first knockout rounds.

Quote from: Mr.Right on June 19, 2018, 04:35:46 PM
I don't speak a lick of Spanish but I cannot tell you how much more enjoyable it is to watch Telemundo. Fox announcers are just terrible.

I agree. I seem to be biased against American commentators. I find the Brits much more enjoyable, except for Arlo White on NBCSN, who seemingly starts every sentence with "the cross comes in!" Bring back the glory days of Martin Tyler and Andy Gray. Or, if you've gotta go with past WC commentators, Ian Darke improves just about anyone (and he put together one of the funniest sports commentary parodies ever, although I think it was even funnier watching him dance to Macklemore's Thrift Shop during half time of the Everton-Man City game back in 2013).

truenorth

I have found this World Cup tournament to be highly enjoyable thus far...probably for a couple of reasons.  1) There has been relative parity in the form of unanticipated draws or losses by the traditional powers (e.g. Brazil, Germany, etc.); and 2) I don't have a dog in the fight without a U.S. team.  I would normally be hyper focused on all of their ups and downs...

JFPIV

I started watching football regularly back around 2006 when Fox Soccer began broadcasting the Premiership.  (That's what they called it back then.)  At that point Fox relied solely on the English commentary of the games.  I loved the clean and simple commentary.  Generally little more than a simple recitation of the name of the player that had received the ball.  it was simple and quiet and perfect.

The replacement of that English commentary with the constant chatter that we hear now detracts from the game and is deeply frustrating.

Greek Tragedy

I think American commentators don't understand that you don't need constant play by play with soccer. We don't need, "he passes, he dribbles, he shoots" commentary.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

blooter442

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on June 20, 2018, 01:32:05 PM
I think American commentators don't understand that you don't need constant play by play with soccer. We don't need, "he passes, he dribbles, he shoots" commentary.

truenorth

Croatia with a convincing beatdown of overrated Argentina...I really like this Croatia side!

JFPIV

My selections of Argentina and Nigeria in that group are looking pretty dubious at this point.

blooter442

Quote from: JFPIV on June 21, 2018, 04:24:47 PM
My selections of Argentina and Nigeria in that group are looking pretty dubious at this point.

I had Argentina winning the group, which obviously isn't happening now, so I've missed out on the group winner points.  ::) That being said, I'd be thrilled if Iceland made it through to the next round. They were my sentimental pick but I really like their attitude and the way they battled Argentina on Saturday was admirable. What a story that would be.

Quote from: truenorth on June 21, 2018, 03:57:51 PM
Croatia with a convincing beatdown of overrated Argentina...I really like this Croatia side!

Agreed. As I stated above, I picked Argentina to win the group and Iceland because why can't you like Iceland? (unless you're English) but in the back of my mind I thought Croatia was quite capable of pulling a surprise. What a team they have. Their midfield absolutely rolled over Argentina and a pair of well-taken goals from Modric and Rakitic (not to mention the composure in the opener!) were just rewards for that performance.

blooter442

Obviously happy that Brazil's bid to win the group is still alive, but that is HEARTBREAK for Costa Rica. I have been quite critical of Navas but he stood on his head the whole game.