FB: Empire 8

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bombers798891

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on February 13, 2013, 01:24:54 AM
Quote from: Rt Rev J.H. Hobart on February 12, 2013, 08:37:07 PM
Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on February 12, 2013, 01:55:27 PM
Don't know how long it has been out, but the 2013 Ithaca schedule is on the website.  Same as last year I believe.

(Home games in Bold)

Moravian
Union
Buffalo State
Hartwick
Alfred
Utica   
St. John Fisher
Frostburg State   
Salisbury   
Cortland
Three consecutive away games? Is there a by-week to inturrupt that? It seems awfully tough to go on the road three weeks in a row.

No bye-week inbetween those games.  Yea now that I think of it, Ithaca has seemed to have many seasons where they will have 3 home/away games in a row.  Hartwick is a quick day trip, and I think Union might be too, so it probably won't be too bad.

2013, 2011, 2006, 2002 are all years where Ithaca has had 3 away games in a row.   They have had 3 home games in a row in 2003, 2005, 2007, and 2008.

Backloaded schedule too. Salisbury and Cortland back to back?

mattvsmith

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on February 13, 2013, 01:24:54 AM
Quote from: Rt Rev J.H. Hobart on February 12, 2013, 08:37:07 PM
Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on February 12, 2013, 01:55:27 PM
Don't know how long it has been out, but the 2013 Ithaca schedule is on the website.  Same as last year I believe.

(Home games in Bold)

Moravian
Union
Buffalo State
Hartwick
Alfred
Utica   
St. John Fisher
Frostburg State   
Salisbury   
Cortland
Three consecutive away games? Is there a by-week to inturrupt that? It seems awfully tough to go on the road three weeks in a row.

No bye-week inbetween those games.  Yea now that I think of it, Ithaca has seemed to have many seasons where they will have 3 home/away games in a row.  Hartwick is a quick day trip, and I think Union might be too, so it probably won't be too bad.

2013, 2011, 2006, 2002 are all years where Ithaca has had 3 away games in a row.   They have had 3 home games in a row in 2003, 2005, 2007, and 2008.

Sorry not to trim some of the thread. I'm on an iPhone and its hard to see and harder to use my fat fingers to do proper Internet etiquette. Anyhoo...

Hartwick is, at best, over two hours away, and Union over three hours away. I would definitely overnight those trips, especially Union.

Ithaca is a beautiful town but ingress and egress is awful. The Rev's sister was a big time athlete at IC in the late 80s. I spent much of high school going to watch games in Ithaca and around the conference.

Jonny Utah

We didn't play hartwick or union when I was at IC, but Alfred and Brockport were day trips.  Not sure about today but I assume hartwick would at least be a day trip.

Jonny Utah

And I could be wrong but I thought Hartwick was a little under 2 hours from Ithaca.

But yea,  the big problem about Ithaca is that there isn't any big highway that goes in there.  All small back roads basically 2 hours from any other major road (88, 90, 81).

But if it weren't for those back roads, I would have never gotten the chance to see the lovely towns on the outskirts of the Southern Tier (Lisle, Green, Bainbridge, Whitney Point, Triangle, Naticoke)

mattvsmith

It takes about 30-45 minutes to get from Ithaca to I81. Then another 20-30 to I88. Then at least an hour on I88 to Oneonta. Figure in some time from the exit to Hartwick and I think we're looking at a minimum of 2:15. I'm think bus time, whereas a private car may be able to get there a little quicker.

The Rev's family had the added difficulty that our only "major" routes were State Route 12 (connects Binghamton and Utica) and route 23 (connects near Cortland to Oneonta).  We were the halfway mark on each route. In other words: the middle of nowhere.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Rt Rev J.H. Hobart on February 15, 2013, 11:11:47 AM
It takes about 30-45 minutes to get from Ithaca to I81. Then another 20-30 to I88. Then at least an hour on I88 to Oneonta. Figure in some time from the exit to Hartwick and I think we're looking at a minimum of 2:15. I'm think bus time, whereas a private car may be able to get there a little quicker.

The Rev's family had the added difficulty that our only "major" routes were State Route 12 (connects Binghamton and Utica) and route 23 (connects near Cortland to Oneonta).  We were the halfway mark on each route. In other words: the middle of nowhere.

I always found it quicker to go (from Boston) 88 South to Rt. 206 in Bainbridge.  Take 206 to Whitney Point where you take 79 to Ithaca.

Ithaca to Bainbridge should take you a little less than 2 hours, and Bainbridge should definitly less than an hour to Oneonta on 88.

A bus would take over 2 hours now that I think of it though.  Many windy roads.

AUKaz00

Quote from: rams1102 on February 12, 2013, 10:01:34 PM
As an Oakland, NJ resident for 35 years, spent more time in Valley Hospital then you can shake a stick at, a Montclair Wacko even though our Coaching decissions makes me wonder, the connection to Mayburry is interesting, AU. Next Monday I will travel to Falconer to start my business trip across NY. McDonalds in Cuba will be a lunch stop.

Well, from what I'm hearing our worlds can become a little closer in 2013 - Montclair at Alfred on September 21st.
Check out the official card game of the AU Pep Band - Str8 Eight!

AUPepBand

Yeah, what Kaz00 said.... Pep is pleased that the Saxons will actually get to play at home more than thrice in 2013. Here's the Saxons' 2013 schedule:

Sept. 7--Open
Sept. 14-RPI, 1 pm
Sept. 21-MONTCLAIR STATE, 1 pm
Sept. 28-at Brockport State, 6 pm
Oct. 5-BUFFALO STATE*, 1 pm
Oct. 12-at Ithaca*, 1 pm (AU Mid-Term Break)
Oct. 19-HARTWICK*, 1 pm
Oct. 26-at Frostburg State*, 1 pm
Nov. 2-SALISBURY STATE*, 1 pm
Nov. 9-UTICA*, 1 pm
Nov. 16-at St. John Fisher*, 1 pm

To summarize....6 home games, four away with three of them considered "day trips." Something different than all the mileage put on the Saxons in 2012 (7 road trips, 3 home games...one during Mid-Semester Break). Maybe that's why the Saxons spent so much time in the repair shop.

On Saxon Warriors!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

pg04

A pre-E8 joining clash with Brockport. Interesting. And 6pm? I did not realize the lights were being installed already. I wonder if it will be the first night game ever. 

AUPepBand

Quote from: pg04 on February 27, 2013, 10:10:33 PM
A pre-E8 joining clash with Brockport. Interesting. And 6pm? I did not realize the lights were being installed already. I wonder if it will be the first night game ever.

Pep is excited that the Eagles have landed on the Saxon schedule again after a long respite. Brockport State was often Alfred's opener back when (legendary) Coach Alex Yunevich ran the program (1937-1976).

Gosh, if they are installing lights, do they have any plans to replace that hyper-crowned Bob Boozer Field in Eunice Kennedy Shriver Stadium, perhaps with a more manageable field turf?

On Saxon Warriors!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

pg04

Apparently so, if the link below is still accurate:

http://www.brockport.edu/newsbureau/1714.html

Will be a nice change. Hope I get to see it at some point in the coming years..

D3viewer

Rocco Salomone is out as HC at Brockport. "Reassigned" within the dept.

Upstate

Fisher's schedule came out today:

3 really strong non conference games right out of the gate and then finishes up with 7 straight E8 games.

9/7 @ Otterbein (8-2 in 2012, 3rd place in OAC)
9/14 vs Washington & Jefferson (8-3 in 2012, Tied for 1st in PAC)
9/21 BYE
9/28 vs Cortland (Homecoming, 9-2 in 2012, 1st in NJAC)
10/5 vs Frostburg
10/12 @ Hartwick
10/19 @ Ithaca
10/26 @ Salisbury
11/2 vs Utica
11/9 @ Buffalo State
11/16 vs Alfred (Courage Bowl IX)
The views expressed in the above post do not represent the views of St. John Fisher College, their athletic department, their coaching staff or their players. I am an over zealous antagonist that does not have any current connection to the institution I attended.

rams1102

Quote from: Upstate on March 22, 2013, 02:32:35 PM
Fisher's schedule came out today:

3 really strong non conference games right out of the gate and then finishes up with 7 straight E8 games.

9/7 @ Otterbein (8-2 in 2012, 3rd place in OAC)
9/14 vs Washington & Jefferson (8-3 in 2012, Tied for 1st in PAC)
9/21 BYE
9/28 vs Cortland (Homecoming, 9-2 in 2012, 1st in NJAC)
10/5 vs Frostburg
10/12 @ Hartwick

One helluva schedule. Thats how you get better. Thats how a program keeps growing.

It ain't over till it's over, and when you get to the fork in the road, take it.

AUKaz00

Read about Courage Bowl IX in the back of the Alfred Sun a few weeks back and am excited for it.  Hopefully after this year we can keep AlFish as the last game of the year and add some kind of trophy to it.  Maybe make a tradition of the visiting team ransacking Geneseo on the way home!
Check out the official card game of the AU Pep Band - Str8 Eight!