Empire 8

Started by boobyhasgameyo, March 12, 2005, 12:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcahill44

2 of the best point Guards in Region tonight Tyshun Stephens and John Dibartolomeo Naz vs Rochester should be a Great Game and Hobart plays Buff state to great game

Ethelred the Unready

Quote from: dcahill44 on November 20, 2012, 07:15:32 PM
2 of the best point Guards in Region tonight Tyshun Stephens and John Dibartolomeo Naz vs Rochester should be a Great Game and Hobart plays Buff state to great game

83-46 UofR with 8 to go.  Very definition of a great game... ;D
"Your mind is on vacation but your mouth is working overtime" - Mose Allison

magicman

Hartwick loses to Union 62-54.  Liberty League which some have felt was down this year is now 2-0 against the E8. Both wins (Clarkson over Ithaca was the other) were against probable upper division teams. I think it will be an interesting year in NY State basketball.

Hobart hosted Buffalo State Tuesday night and lost 80-74. Bengals lost several promising underclassmen from last year's team but will once again be in the top tier of the SUNYAC.   

magicman

Alfred loses to host Penn College 61-53

Hamilton defeats host Elmira 62-60.   Sounds like deju vu all over again. They lost their other game to Cortland 63-60. I watched them play against Cortland and the Soaring Eagles will surprise some teams this year.

Utica defeats visiting SUNYIT 97-80.

Stevens goes to 3-0 as they defeat host FDU-Florham 74-65.

Roberts Wesleyan beats visiting Houghton 60-44

Rochester beats visiting Nazareth 98-64 The guard matchup was also one sided as Yellowjackets' Dibartolomeo had 23 pts. 8 assists, 4 steals and 3 rebounds.  Naz's Tyshun Stephens had 8 pts, 3 assists 1 steal and 4 rebounds. I thought Rochester would win this game but guessed it would be much closer after Naz opened with 2 solid wins.

The E8 is now 12-14 in out of conference games through Tuesday Nov.24th.

sjfcards

Happy thanksgiving to everyone on the E8 posting up!
GO FISHER!!!

dcahill44

Watching Naz and Buffalo state tonight expect Naz to win by

dcahill44

Nazerath up 77-70 against Buffalo State with 10 minutes left

magicman

Nazareth travels to Buffalo and defeats Buffalo State 97-89.

Final score not indicative of how close this game was with under 3 minutes to go. Down 87-80  the Bengals got a triple and a layup to cut the lead to 2 with 3:26 to play. Teams traded jump shots and with 2:25 to go Flyers Tyshun Stephens buries a 3 ball to make it a 5 pt lead at 92-87. Epps hits a jumper to make it 92-89, and after Naz misfired on their next possession, the Bengals did the same on a tying 3 point attempt with 1:29 left. Bengals get the rebound, however, but turn the ball over, their 3rd TO in the past several minutes and commit a foul on Stephens who makes them both to increase the lead to 5. Bengals then have their turn at the stripe but miss both attempts and that was pretty much the ballgame.  Naz hit 3 more free throws to stretch the 5 point lead to the final margin. Bengals were held scoreless in the final 2:02 of the game  where they missed four 3 pointers, 2 free throws committed 4 fouls and had a turnover. Certainly not the way the Bengals are used to finishing a game

Brad Ford led Nazareth with 25 points and 16 rebounds. Five other players were in double figures. Brad's younger brother, only a freshman, Mitch, had 19 points and 12 rebounds. The Ford brothers total of 28 boards was almost as much as the entire Bengal team as they finished with 31. Nazareth had a total of 51 with 17 of them coming on the offensive end of the floor. Hard to win a game when you get beat that badly off the glass. Tyshun Stephens finished with 13 pts, 8 rebounds and 5 assists. His 3 pointer with 2:25 to play and the Golden Flyers nursing a slim 89-87 lead was probably the biggest basket of the game. The Bengals had cut a 7 point lead down to 2 and if the Flyers had come up empty in that possession it might have been a different outcome. Jack Giles came off the bench to score 12 points, while starters Maurice Mills and Scott Hayford both added 10 points. 

Bengals were led by Roderick Epps with 33 points and Jake Simmons with 22. No other Bengal had double digits. I think the Bengals playing only their 2nd game of the season, compared to Nazareth's 4th game, probably had something to do with the outcome. Bengals lost 4 starters from last year's team and are still trying to figure out the right combinations to put on the floor, especially at crunch time. I would expect these teams will see considerable improvement as the season progresses. I believe both clubs will defintely be in the hunt for the top spot in their respective leagues and will certainly make their conference playoffs.

Nazareth will next play on Wednseday, Nov. 28th in the first round of the Wendy's Classic against a team to be announced. The pairing for the Wendy's Classic will be announced later today.

Buffalo State will next host Medaille on Tuesday Nov. 28th.

Ethelred the Unready

"Your mind is on vacation but your mouth is working overtime" - Mose Allison

magicman

The new D3hoops Top 25 poll is out. The only teams from the East Region that crack the rankings are Rochester at #17 with 162 points and NYU at #22 with 114 points.

Stevens is the only E8 team that gets a mention as they receive 7 points (tied for #45) in the Others Receiving Votes category.

Oswego State is the only other East team to receive recognition as they get 12 points (#40) in the ORV.

Here's the link to the complete rankings:      http://d3hoops.com/top25/men/2012-13/week1     

sjfcards

Does anyone know what to expect from Fisher/Brockport tonight? I don't know much about Brockport, but was happy with Fisher's start to the season. Fredonia and Hilbert are what they are, but Fisher was in control the entire weekend. I don't think this is one of the better Fisher teams we have seen, but they are much improved from last year.

Fisher and Brockport are almost always good games, and add the Wendy's tournament into the mix and it could be a fun one tonight.
GO FISHER!!!

Bengalsrule

Quote from: sjfcards on November 28, 2012, 04:32:10 PM
Does anyone know what to expect from Fisher/Brockport tonight? I don't know much about Brockport, but was happy with Fisher's start to the season. Fredonia and Hilbert are what they are, but Fisher was in control the entire weekend. I don't think this is one of the better Fisher teams we have seen, but they are much improved from last year.

Fisher and Brockport are almost always good games, and add the Wendy's tournament into the mix and it could be a fun one tonight.

Brockport is always fast and athletic. Haven't seen Brockport this year (saw SJF in a scrimmage), but if it's a fast paced game then SJF is in big trouble (IMNO) ;)

sjfcards

Quote from: Bengalsrule on November 28, 2012, 04:51:23 PM
Quote from: sjfcards on November 28, 2012, 04:32:10 PM

Brockport is always fast and athletic. Haven't seen Brockport this year (saw SJF in a scrimmage), but if it's a fast paced game then SJF is in big trouble (IMNO) ;)

I remember a sweet 16 game between the two teams a few years ago that ended up in the high 90's/low 100s. Fisher was pretty good that year, but that game was never played at the speed Fisher wanted. This team isn't as talented in my opinion, so hopefully they can slow it down tonight.
GO FISHER!!!

sjfcards

Fisher up 2, 36-34 at the half against Brockport. Fisher was up by as much as 12 in the half, but gave up some open threes down the stretch which let Brockport back into it. Should be a fun 2nd half.
GO FISHER!!!

magicman

Nazareth downs Geneseo 70-64 in a close game throughout.

Rochester defeats RIT 66-59 to advance to the semifinals.  Surprisingly RIT had a slight lead at the half.

A 4 point play by Brockport gives them a 45-40 lead over Fisher, but the Cardinals pull within 1 at 48-47. Now tied up at 49-49 with around 6 minutes to play I think. They never show a close up of the clock and there's no announcers.

Update Fisher goes on an 11-1 run to go up 60-50 and increases their lead to a 12 point advantage at 68-56 with 8:39 left to play.

Roberts Wesleyan leads Hobart 64-62 with 2:53 left to play.