FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oline89

Quote from: Bartman on October 11, 2018, 11:23:58 AM
Quote from: Oline89 on October 11, 2018, 11:08:52 AM
Quote from: Bartman on October 11, 2018, 10:40:52 AM
OK, only 49 hours before more LL football. I think I am 21-5 this year, so here goes:

Hobart        45          Rochester           14         This could be closer if the Statesmen get large heads from last week's game. They need to show discipline and prepare for the
                                                                      the big chance to upset the Engineers next week

Ithaca         20          Union                 17         This will be another tight ,hard fought battle as Union goes out early 14-0 with two TD passes to Ross, but the Bombers D tightens

up as Gladney ruins the Dutchmen's day and most likely season with a last minute TD catch and bruising run as time runs out.

RPI and the Saints players celebrate another undefeated LL week

I agree with the Hobart prediction.  This game has all the hallmarks of a "trap game".  I hope Hobart staff and players figured this out with the loss to Endicott, which will haunt them in the standings for the rest of the year.  They need to come out strong from the beginning, and home field does seem to really motivate this group.  The IC -Union game is tricky.  I like IC on the turf, but travelling and playing a Union squad that should be seriously pissed off presents a wild card.  On paper, it should be IC all the way, but I am going with Union 20-14.  Pretty amazing that this could be a "winner goes home game", even though we are only in the second week of LL play!
Oline,
      I think this could easily go the Dutchmen's way, and frankly since we have the tiebreaker against Union, that would be fine as a Hobart fan. I noticed the game starts 90 minutes after the Boz game, so I will be watching on the feed from FB field for the nail biter finish.

Hopefully we get some good news during our postgame tailgate at the Boz!

UfanBill

.....The 1:30 start time for Ithaca/Union is to accommodate Homecoming weekend festivities. Union has many activities scheduled including a home football game. ;)...Last week I watched the Hobart/Union game on the 'Bart video feed. I wanted to revisit some game moments before commenting but was surprised that a game archive is not available even though the site is set up to provide one.  So I'll have to go on memory and the play by play. The game evolved much like last year with Union getting out to a two score lead and Hobart making a 4th quarter push. This year the Statesmen got on top and ran out the clock. The game was decided by Union's inability to hit the big pass play that probably would have sealed the deal. Andre Ross Jr. dropped a TD pass with the help of tight coverage followed by 'Bart's WR John Dellisanti making a big play for the Statesmen. One team got it done, one didn't. Union again inexplicably tried to force three deep balls with plenty of time on the clock resulting in an interception.
.....It looked like the Dutchmen were going to get good field position with a chance for a late victory but then Hobart WR Jake Catalioto made two key plays. He caught a swing pass on 3rd and 2, fought through two Dutchman to just get the 1st down and making Union use it's TOs. Then on 3rd and 7 a minute later he did it again. Both times Union defenders were there but couldn't contain his effort.  He barely made the line to gain each time. By the time Union got the ball back there were only 25 seconds left... game over.  These two teams are evenly matched with the Statesmen having three key advantages. They were fighting for their pride after being upset by Endicott, they had the home field and crowd and most importantly, they had kicker Kyle Hackett who was outstanding. IMO swap kickers and Union wins that game.  Hobart has one other thing Union doesn't have...the ability to finish the game. :(
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

UfanBill

.....Now some comments on this week's Ithaca/Union game. I'm hoping coach Behrman will have the Dutchmen fired up for the Bombers. He's got to want a win over the historically elite Ithaca program right? Two years ago the Bombers prevailed 14-9 in the "Union should have won" game. I still agree with that comment. Last year's game was a defensive battle, 6-3 late in the 4th when a controversial pass interference call (what PI isn't?) and a fumbled kick off return led to two Ithaca TDs in the last 4:57. The Bombers stellar D shut down the Union offense allowing only 188 total yards. Union should not have won that game.
.....We're all aware that the Union offense has considerably more weapons this year. The Ithaca defense is just as strong as ever, maybe better. Look for a Union victory if they can score 20+ points because Ithaca has had it's offensive struggles and the Union D should add to them. If U can't score 20, then another low scoring Ithaca victory....Surprise... I'm picking the Dutchmen 20-13.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Bartman

Quote from: UfanBill on October 11, 2018, 03:03:27 PM
.....The 1:30 start time for Ithaca/Union is to accommodate Homecoming weekend festivities. Union has many activities scheduled including a home football game. ;)...Last week I watched the Hobart/Union game on the 'Bart video feed. I wanted to revisit some game moments before commenting but was surprised that a game archive is not available even though the site is set up to provide one.  So I'll have to go on memory and the play by play. The game evolved much like last year with Union getting out to a two score lead and Hobart making a 4th quarter push. This year the Statesmen got on top and ran out the clock. The game was decided by Union's inability to hit the big pass play that probably would have sealed the deal. Andre Ross Jr. dropped a TD pass with the help of tight coverage followed by 'Bart's WR John Dellisanti making a big play for the Statesmen. One team got it done, one didn't. Union again inexplicably tried to force three deep balls with plenty of time on the clock resulting in an interception.
.....It looked like the Dutchmen were going to get good field position with a chance for a late victory but then Hobart WR Jake Catalioto made two key plays. He caught a swing pass on 3rd and 2, fought through two Dutchman to just get the 1st down and making Union use it's TOs. Then on 3rd and 7 a minute later he did it again. Both times Union defenders were there but couldn't contain his effort.  He barely made the line to gain each time. By the time Union got the ball back there were only 25 seconds left... game over.  These two teams are evenly matched with the Statesmen having three key advantages. They were fighting for their pride after being upset by Endicott, they had the home field and crowd and most importantly, they had kicker Kyle Hackett who was outstanding. IMO swap kickers and Union wins that game.  Hobart has one other thing Union doesn't have...the ability to finish the game. :(
UFan,
     Very nice summary of the game. These are 2 evenly matched teams and I think you nailed Hobart's motivation , although last year's loss also motivated the team. Ali Marpet visited which seemed to give them some luck and incentive to avoid embarrassment. I was surprised with some of the play calling by Union when they had plenty of time to move against a pumped , yet imperfect Hobart defense at the end(we were playing second and third stringers on the Dline at times...all of whom played out of their shoes). That last interception was a bonehead move since it was fourth down and knocking it down on the 5 yard line would have made a huge difference for field position( the DB is a converted WR, so catching the ball is instinctive). When the Oline gutted out two first downs with Haeffner and gutty catches by Catalioto with the clock running down, I knew the team had finally arrived.  Last year, I really think Hobart had more talent but Union came out and punched them in the mouth and Hobart finally crawled back in before falling short. Two great games , one exhilarating win and one heart crushing loss for each team. You are right, Hackett could be Hobart's difference maker this year, as the sophmore kicker has ice in his veins, having never missed a FG. When he arrived as a Freshman, I thought he was an eigth grader, but he continues to fill out physically and improve on his length and could be another Andrew Franks by Senior year. I think he will be needed in both the RPI and Ithaca games.
    Good luck against the Bombers. It will be interesting to see how effective IC will be covering Ross Jr.. If they double/cheat cover Ross,  Beal could be the hero(he killed us last year with that one hand lunging catch).
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Oline89

Quote from: Bartman on October 11, 2018, 03:47:43 PM
UFan,
     Very nice summary of the game. These are 2 evenly matched teams and I think you nailed Hobart's motivation , although last year's loss also motivated the team. Ali Marpet visited which seemed to give them some luck and incentive to avoid embarrassment. I was surprised with some of the play calling by Union when they had plenty of time to move against a pumped , yet imperfect Hobart defense at the end(we were playing second and third stringers on the Dline at times...all of whom played out of their shoes). That last interception was a bonehead move since it was fourth down and knocking it down on the 5 yard line would have made a huge difference for field position( the DB is a converted WR, so catching the ball is instinctive). When the Oline gutted out two first downs with Haeffner and gutty catches by Catalioto with the clock running down, I knew the team had finally arrived.  Last year, I really think Hobart had more talent but Union came out and punched them in the mouth and Hobart finally crawled back in before falling short. Two great games , one exhilarating win and one heart crushing loss for each team. You are right, Hackett could be Hobart's difference maker this year, as the sophmore kicker has ice in his veins, having never missed a FG. When he arrived as a Freshman, I thought he was an eigth grader, but he continues to fill out physically and improve on his length and could be another Andrew Franks by Senior year. I think he will be needed in both the RPI and Ithaca games.
    Good luck against the Bombers. It will be interesting to see how effective IC will be covering Ross Jr.. If they double/cheat cover Ross,  Beal could be the hero(he killed us last year with that one hand lunging catch).

Good summary, fellas.  Just to point out a couple of things, the kid that made the interception at the end of the game is a Soph, safety.  Great kid, but that was his first play of the game, not sure why he was in.  Easy for all of us to say, bat it to the ground, believe me I yelled it at the time.  Imagine if he batted it into the hands of a Union receiver, ugh!  I agree Hacket looked like an 8th grader, if he has put on any weight this year, it is from thicker jersey material!  I really think Union has a chance this weekend, Ithaca has a great loss to Brockport, and a nice win against Alfred, but the Nabi to Gladney connection has yet to resurface in 2018

AUPepBand

Quote from: Bartman on October 11, 2018, 03:47:43 PM
UFan,

Pep, too, was comparing Hackett to Franks. Spoke with a couple of older (is there anyone attending games older than Pep?) Hobart fans seated in back row below press box, told them Hackett reminded Pep of Andrew Franks who kicked for a couple seasons for the Miami Dolphins. Not sure where he is now but has a great fall-back-on plan with an engineering degree from RPI.

Pep misses 'gro and YellowHat. Just call the E8 thread the E8 boreds.

Gonna see some hittin' this Saterday in Saxonville!

On Saxon Warriors!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

UfanBill

Quote from: AUPepBand on October 11, 2018, 04:27:30 PM

Pep, too, was comparing Hackett to Franks. Spoke with a couple of older (is there anyone attending games older than Pep?) Hobart fans seated in back row below press box, told them Hackett reminded Pep of Andrew Franks who kicked for a couple seasons for the Miami Dolphins. Not sure where he is now but has a great fall-back-on plan with an engineering degree from RPI.

Pep misses 'gro and YellowHat. Just call the E8 thread the E8 boreds.

Gonna see some hittin' this Saterday in Saxonville!

On Saxon Warriors!

Yes Pep there are fans older than you attending games. Wish I could find my old leather helmet ;D

Ice Bear

Hobart vs Rochester - This won't be close. Hobart has some positive momentum going and it'll keep going this weekend. Rich cha cha just doesn't have the horses to compete with much of anyone who is halfway decent. Pumpkinheads do it two weeks in a row and continue working to avenge the ****ing debacle against Endicott. Hobart 34-7

Union vs Ithaca - Unfortunately this game is not being played on Hamilton Hill or Union would have some "real type ****" home field advantage. Ithaca will score some and frustrate the Union offense for much of the day. However, big plays win the game and Union will win 17-13.

A long time fan of DIII Football!

unionpalooza

Looks like a cold and windy day in Schenectady for the Union-Ithaca game, which should favor the Ithaca D, as Union's vertical passing game definitely struggled against the wind last weekend at Hobart.  Can't imagine Union will be able to run the ball, which means the game should come down to (i) whether Union can manage to sustain drives and put up some points with a dink and dunk passing game mixed in with long balls, and (ii) whether the Union D can limit the big plays they could not last week.  I believe someone wins this game 21-17; I just don't know who.

unionpalooza

Ithaca up 14-0 after one quarter.  Union playing like absolute trash - penalties, no execution, no focus.  Behrman ought to pull the whole first string offense.  An embarrassment.

Ice Bear

Union looking like ****...getting ****ing man handled in Everest possible. Couldn't have a worse start. Ithaca playing very well.

unionpalooza

Quote from: Dutch Boy on October 13, 2018, 02:05:19 PM
Union looking like ****...getting ****ing man handled in Everest possible. Couldn't have a worse start. Ithaca playing very well.

Indeed.  On track for 244 penalties yard this game after a quarter.

Ice Bear

dlip believes the woman's hockey game starts at 3...

BomberJeff

Ithaca up 21-0 at halftime.  The Union defense looks a bit overwhelmed, and the offense has not been able to sustain anything.  Bombers have had 251 yards of offense to Union's 102.  Ithaca rebounding well today.

BomberJeff

Ithaca puts up, honestly, their best 60 minutes of the season today and shuts out Union 24-0. Union held to 185 yards of offense and forced 4 interceptions. Will Gladney becomes the top Bomber player in receiving yards all time.  Gladney, I'll note, is only a junior.