MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwu70

Pgraph article on the game with MU indicates that Coach Rose plans to start Wallen and Baker, with Bair and O'Neil coming off the bench.  Let's see if this "shake-up" works in Decatur.   I guess still Brady Rose, Bonnett and Gregoire, with hopefully Wolfe continuing to play his recently more productive minutes.

Sure glad to see Coach Rose taking my advice.   LOL :) 

Titans need a win, then some more.

IWU'70

Titan Q

Illinois Wesleyan (9-6, 2-4) at Millikin (8-6, 2-4), 6pm...

Titans (9-6, 2-4)
G - Brady Rose, 6-3/185 Sr.  20.7 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 4.0 apg
G - Colin Bonnett, 6-4/190 Sr.  12.2 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 3.0 apg
G - Jason Gregoire, 6-4/205 Sr.  11.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 2.4 apg
F - Doug Wallen, 6-5/210 So. 7.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg
F - Danny Baker, 6-6/210 Sr.  2.5 ppg, 2.9 rpg

Big Blue (8-6, 2-4)
G - Zach Fisher, 6-4/170 Jr.  12.1 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 0.8 apg
G - Calvin Fisher, 6-6/210 Fr.  10.3 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 2.1 apg
F - Davante Harrell, 6-6/200 Sr.  12.9 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 2.1 apg
F - Elijah Henry, 6-7/220 Sr.  14.4 ppg, 8.1 rpg
F - Jordan Cunningham, 6-6/295 Jr.  4.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg

Pantagraph - https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/basketball/men/iwu-looks-for-answers-with-millikin-next/article_fe71f99a-ef52-5448-9851-91011eba74ca.html

Video - https://portal.stretchinternet.com/millikin/

Stats - https://athletics.millikin.edu/sidearmstats/mbball/summary

Titan Q

IWU needs to go 9-1 the rest of the way to be competitive for a Pool C bid.  9-1, then 2-1 in the CCIW tournament, would be 20-8.  That .715 WP, with an elite SOS, and a some helpful RRO stuff would probably be enough.

There is no indication at this point, unfortunately, that IWU can go 11-2 through Selection Sunday...but the talent is certainly there to make a push.

Certainly a must win game for the Titans this afternoon in Decatur.

Titan Q

Quote from: iwu70 on January 12, 2019, 12:53:50 AM
Pgraph article on the game with MU indicates that Coach Rose plans to start Wallen and Baker, with Bair and O'Neil coming off the bench.  Let's see if this "shake-up" works in Decatur.   I guess still Brady Rose, Bonnett and Gregoire, with hopefully Wolfe continuing to play his recently more productive minutes.

Sure glad to see Coach Rose taking my advice.   LOL :) 

Titans need a win, then some more.

IWU'70

They definitely had to try something to shake things up. 

Doug Wallen is a good player who has a chance to be a great player the next couple seasons.  Wallen has been playing in front of Bair most of the time the last several games, so this is sort of just a change in who trots in during the starting lineups.  Wallen is a physical combo forward who can score inside or outside.  I like the thought of him being on the floor as much as possible.

6-7 Charlie Bair is a talented player who seems to have hit a funk.  He's missing some easy shots he should make and just seems out of sorts a bit.  He lost a big rebound in the final minute of the UW-Stevens Point game, and rebounding is his forte, so it just seems to me he's not totally comfortable out there all the sudden.  I think coming off the bench will probably help him get settled back in.

The Danny Baker/Alex O'Neill flip at the 5 is a biggie, as those are very different players.  6-6 Baker is more mobile and can chase smaller posts around better, but he is not a scorer.  Baker has a high motor.  6-9 O'Neill is a true 5 and a polished low post scorer...but when the opponent doesn't have a true 5 he has no one to guard.  Interestingly, IWU is finally playing an opponent with a true 5 again (first time since Augie?) - Millikin's Jordan Cunningham.  I think O'Neill will be very important in Decatur today.

My biggest frustration with the Titans offense (which generally has not been the problem) is that they don't feed the post.  You have 6-9 O'Neill down there posted up against a 6-5 or 6-6 guy and they're not giving him the ball.  While watching the stream I must say "give it to him" 10 times every game. 

Defensively, IWU certainly has had its challenges during this awful stretch.  That is well documented.  And at the same time, it sure feels to me that every big shot late that goes up against the Titans is going in.  In every game they have lost (vs Wheaton, at Augustana, vs Carroll, vs Whitman, vs UW-Stevens Point, vs North Central) I can vividly recall one huge opponent shot down the stretch that was almost certainly a win/lose kind of shot.  I'm all for breaking down the Xs and Os of each of those shots, and have done so (believe me) -- but also at some point you just kinda say, "Seriously?  OK, so this is not our year."

Interested to see how the Titans play at Millikin today.  Gut check time for sure.

Titan Q

Both games in Decatur bumped back 2 hours due to weather - women now at 4:00pm, men at 6:00pm.

AndOne

Quote from: Titan Q on January 12, 2019, 08:53:17 AM
IWU needs to go 9-1 the rest of the way to be competitive for a Pool C bid.  9-1, then 2-1 in the CCIW tournament, would be 20-8.  That .715 WP, with an elite SOS, and a some helpful RRO stuff would probably be enough.

There is no indication at this point, unfortunately, that IWU can go 11-2 through Selection Sunday...but the talent is certainly there to make a push.

Certainly a must win game for the Titans this afternoon in Decatur.

First, I think someone predicted the Green Weenies might not make the conference tournament. I think the chances that happens are about the same as the sun and moon falling out of the sky.
And, if they do get in the conference tourney, they very well could go 2-1.

It seems though, the problem is winning 9 out of 10 of their remaining conference games. IWU, as with almost any basketball team, certainly is far more dangerous at home. However, this year they have unexpectedly let that home edge slip away. When you combine how they have underachieved at home so far with the fact that 6 of their 10 remaining conference games are on the road, going 9-1 the rest of the way would be akin to climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro. Not an impossible task, but the chances seem as thin as the air at the mountain summit. 🗻

GoPerry

Drive safe everyone.  It's not good out there.  Probably even worse on Rt 51.

Gregory Sager

Carroll isn't providing either video or live stats right now, as CU and NPU moved up their game to 4 pm due to the weather. Nor is there an audio feed. This is very frustrating.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Final from Van Male:

Carroll 85
North Park 58

Toby Marek: 12 pts
Matt Szuba: 6 rebs, 3 blks, 4 stls
Henry Woo: 3:1 a:to

Troy Howat: 15 pts
Blake Williams: 14 pts, 7 rebs
Nick Penny: 14 pts
Ryan Clarey: 12 pts, 3:1 a:to
Kale Maupin: 6 rebs
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Preston Laketa is not in uniform for Carthage tonight against Augie, says Dan Sand in the pregame.

Gregory Sager

Illinois Wesleyan beat Millikin, 87-71, at the Griz.

Mr. Ypsi

Final in Decatur: IWU 87, Millikin 71.  Titan women won by an even greater margin (82-64) so it was well worth the trek down US 51.  Grandkids were over for the evening, so I missed all of the women's game and most of the men's, but the stands looked pretty darn empty for a Titan/Big Blue get together!  Back in the days of Jesse Price and the Titans' 14-0 season (1970), the gyms in both Bloomington and Decatur were always filled to overflowing when these teams met.

iwu70

Well, the TITANS passed the Decatur gut check.  Seems a good win and the new role of Wallen paying off with 15 points.  Rose and Bonnett leading the way, as usual.  Need to see the box.  The game way too too early in HK for me to get down the hill to watch.  Missed the women's game too.  Hope the line-up "shake-up" works and Bair and O'Neil make good contributions, escape their "funk" by coming off the bench with energy.  I have high hopes for this new combination and rotation working.  Going 11-2 the rest of the way is the pathway, but very very tough, given the road games and the level of competition this year.  One can always hope . . . 20-8 or so would surely be grand.  :)

Glad we got this one, a much needed W.  Titans now 10-6, 3-4.  Gotta claw back, game by game.

"70

Gregory Sager

Who would've thought that Carthage @ Augustana would be the most compelling game of the night? Probably the same crystal ball polishers who thought that Spencer Peterson would hit not one, but two treys tonight. ;)

Gregory Sager

Augustana pulls off a 69-68 win over Carthage, as Nolan Ebel took an inbound pass with 5.5 seconds left and went the length of the court unimpeded to make the winning layup with 0.9 left on the clock.

Carthage led most of the way, but couldn't hit enough shots down the stretch to sustain a workable margin.