FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 19, 2021, 10:37:14 AM
Quote from: npbaseball40 on October 19, 2021, 08:23:25 AM
Congrats to Juan Nieves and Jake Holaday on being named to the d3football.com Team of the Week

Pat, you sly dog!

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 12, 2021, 09:53:59 AM
It is generally of little consequence to us whether a team wins its game -- that doesn't affect their Team of the Week candidacy. Things that do:

• I find it very difficult to name defensive players when a team gives up a ton of points, especially in losses.

In other words, Juan Nieves cleared the "very difficult" bar, correct?

Actually, I think it's a sign of college football in this day and age that I don't consider 30 to be a ton of points.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

TrueGreen

Quote from: WUPHF on October 19, 2021, 10:57:32 AM
I am beginning to wonder if Massey Ratings is experiencing a labor shortage or something. 

The Washington University women's soccer team is way underrated, for example. 

A week or so ago, every Division III football team had a 0-0 record.

Things seem off...

Does anyone have the Hanson predictions?
IWU Titans only school to win CCIW FB Championship in Every Decade: 48, 51, 64, 65, 74, 77, 80, 92, 94, 96, 00, 01, 07, 09, 17, 18!

CardinalAlum

Quote from: TrueGreen on October 19, 2021, 10:44:55 AM
Moving on...
Massey Predictions:
Augie over Carroll 27-24 (Rock Island)
Wheaton over Carthage 41-21 (Wheaton)
NCC over IWU  45-13 (Naperville)
NP over Elmhurst 27-24 (Chicago)
Wash U over Millikin 28-21 (Decatur)

I actually had to look up the sites, because I feel like a couple of these are dependent on home field advantage. I agree with picks, although I still don't see enough love for Wash U?!? IWU shuts out Big Blue and Wash U gives up 21? I don't see that.

When was last time NP was favored? Augie game is VERY interesting! And Massey just pissed off and challenged Dierking (NCC DC). I don't see IWU with double digits at NCC.

Not a chance that Carthage scores 21 against Wheaton!  Actually, I will be impressed if they score, period.  I don't see IWU in double digits either unless it's late in the game.
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

Gregory Sager

Quote from: TrueGreen on October 19, 2021, 11:39:01 AM
I am beginning to wonder if Massey Ratings is experiencing a labor shortage or something. 

Things seem off...

Logan hasn't updated his Hansen Ratings yet this week.

https://twitter.com/loghanratings

Quote from: CardinalAlum on October 19, 2021, 11:45:15 AM
Not a chance that Carthage scores 21 against Wheaton!  Actually, I will be impressed if they score, period.  I don't see IWU in double digits either unless it's late in the game.

While I don't think that Carthage will be goose-egged on Saturday, I agree that 21 points is an unreasonably ambitious prediction for the Firebirds by Ken Massey's computer.

Illinois Wesleyan didn't muster much of an offense last week against a Millikin team that really hadn't stopped anybody all season long to that point. I agree with you that 13 points may be a little on the high side for the Titans. I guess that it'll come down to when and how deep Jeff Thorne chooses to explore his depth chart late in the second half.

I also think that Ken's HAL9000 is low-balling both North Central and Wheaton. I suspect that both teams will pass the half-century mark on Saturday, especially if Ethan Greenfield is back for NCC.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

CardinalAlum

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 19, 2021, 12:06:42 PM
Quote from: TrueGreen on October 19, 2021, 11:39:01 AM

Things seem off...

Logan hasn't updated his Hansen Ratings yet this week.

https://twitter.com/loghanratings

Quote from: CardinalAlum on October 19, 2021, 11:45:15 AM

While I don't think that Carthage will be goose-egged on Saturday, I agree that 21 points is an unreasonably ambitious prediction for the Firebirds by Ken Massey's computer.

Illinois Wesleyan didn't muster much of an offense last week against a Millikin team that really hadn't stopped anybody all season long to that point. I agree with you that 13 points may be a little on the high side for the Titans. I guess that it'll come down to when and how deep Jeff Thorne chooses to explore his depth chart late in the second half.

I also think that Ken's HAL9000 is low-balling both North Central and Wheaton. I suspect that both teams will pass the half-century mark on Saturday, especially if Ethan Greenfield is back for NCC.

I would bet on #8 being back on the field this week!
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

TrueGreen

I would also bet that NCC does NOT take their foot off the gas or do much "exploration of the depth chart THIS week).
IWU Titans only school to win CCIW FB Championship in Every Decade: 48, 51, 64, 65, 74, 77, 80, 92, 94, 96, 00, 01, 07, 09, 17, 18!

USee

Given the current recruiting battlegrounds, NCC will look to absolute humiliate the Titans this weekend. They went head to head on a number of current players and this game is a message to current and future Cardinals. 

On the flip side, Coach Eash would love nothing better than to somehow keep this game close so he can use that as fodder over the winter.

TrueGreen

Quote from: USee on October 19, 2021, 01:40:27 PM
Given the current recruiting battlegrounds, NCC will look to absolute humiliate the Titans this weekend. They went head to head on a number of current players and this game is a message to current and future Cardinals. 

On the flip side, Coach Eash would love nothing better than to somehow keep this game close so he can use that as fodder over the winter.

You hit it right on the head & THAT is my biggest problem with the current situation in Bloomington! The Titans are prepping all week "to somehow keep it close". AND the HC would love nothing better!!

This is the sad state of affairs that just grinds me. After all these years (since the 2009 OT victory) we can't come up with ANYTHING to flip the trend and we are going to be happy if we don't get embarrassed?!?

Come on Man.

D3FLETCH

Quote from: TrueGreen on October 19, 2021, 02:45:31 PM
Quote from: USee on October 19, 2021, 01:40:27 PM

You hit it right on the head & THAT is my biggest problem with the current situation in Bloomington! The Titans are prepping all week "to somehow keep it close". AND the HC would love nothing better!!

This is the sad state of affairs that just grinds me. After all these years (since the 2009 OT victory) we can't come up with ANYTHING to flip the trend and we are going to be happy if we don't get embarrassed?!?

Come on Man.

IWU has not consistently recruited against NCC since DeGeorge was HC for Cardinals. I am sure a few kids over the years have chosen the Titans over the Cardinals but most current NCC recruits would not even consider talking to a D3 school. IWU is closer to Elmhurst and North Park than it is to competing with North Central. I think IWU should consider joining the NCAC. They would consistently finish top 2-3 and have a good chance to compete for a conference championship.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: D3FLETCH on October 19, 2021, 11:01:24 PM
IWU has not consistently recruited against NCC since DeGeorge was HC for Cardinals. I am sure a few kids over the years have chosen the Titans over the Cardinals but most current NCC recruits would not even consider talking to a D3 school. IWU is closer to Elmhurst and North Park than it is to competing with North Central. I think IWU should consider joining the NCAC. They would consistently finish top 2-3 and have a good chance to compete for a conference championship.

Sure. Abandon a conference in which every one of your fellow schools is within 3 1/2 hours distance, and most are within 2 1/2, so that you can join a conference that has two schools within the 2 to 2 1/2 hour driving range, another school that's about five hours away, and in which everybody else is 6-7 hours away. That would make tremendous sense.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Stagg Again!!

Quote from: TrueGreen on October 19, 2021, 01:20:00 PM
I would also bet that NCC does NOT take their foot off the gas or do much "exploration of the depth chart THIS week).

My Magic 8-Ball agrees with your assessment TrueGreen... "Outlook good" that NCC does not take their foot off the gas against IWU until they are up by six or seven touchdowns.  I do believe that Massey needs to tweak his algorithm a bit.

D3FLETCH

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 20, 2021, 12:08:08 AM

Sure. Abandon a conference in which every one of your fellow schools is within 3 1/2 hours distance, and most are within 2 1/2, so that you can join a conference that has two schools within the 2 to 2 1/2 hour driving range, another school that's about five hours away, and in which everybody else is 6-7 hours away. That would make tremendous sense.
Well if we are trying to save nickels on travel they could attempt to join the NACC or HCAC. Maybe Norm can run a bake sale/push up contest. I think the NCAC  aligns better academically. 

Gregory Sager

Quote from: D3FLETCH on October 20, 2021, 07:37:52 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 20, 2021, 12:08:08 AM

Well if we are trying to save nickels on travel they could attempt to join the NACC or HCAC. Maybe Norm can run a bake sale/push up contest. I think the NCAC  aligns better academically.

The conference you're looking for in terms of both proximity and academic cachet is the MWC, not the NCAC.

Still, I can't help but enjoy the mental picture of Norm pulling sheets of cookies out of the oven or doing push-ups in the Tucci Stadium parking lot in order to raise funds to cover the IWU bus trips to Lawrence or Ripon.

TrueGreen

Quote from: D3FLETCH on October 20, 2021, 07:37:52 AM

[/quote]

Well this is just plainly absurd on many fronts.

I would love to know your insight into the recruiting world. When Thorne took over, he spent years trying to win the recruiting battles over Augie & IWU and NCC now has a clear advantage in winning those continual battles. AND if you think NCC recruits aren't talking to D3 schools, who are they talking to, ND?

Although they haven't threatened NCC in head to head games (which is MY total complaint), IWU have been Co-Champions in 2 out the last 3 seasons. That hardly puts them closer to Elmhurst/NP than NCC.

Do you even know who is in the NCAC?

Stay in your lane.

WUPHF

Quote from: TrueGreen on October 20, 2021, 09:18:34 AM
I would love to know your insight into the recruiting world. When Thorne took over, he spent years trying to win the recruiting battles over Augie & IWU and NCC now has a clear advantage in winning those continual battles. AND if you think NCC recruits aren't talking to D3 schools, who are they talking to, ND?

Also...