Hoopsville: Division III Basketball's Talk Show

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, January 07, 2011, 05:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ralph Turner

Coach Bonewitz at CTX and Coach Russell Van Landingham, who was Ron Holmes' Assistant during the 1998-2001 era, are first cousins.  Coach Van Landingham is at NAIA Our Lady of the Lake in San Antonio.  That style of play is a "family thing". Coach Bonewitz and Coach Van Landingham even have the same hair style.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 06, 2013, 07:22:36 PM
Hit the "play" button.

Don't think it embeds in the message board -- that's to keep malicious embeds from working.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Did you miss last night's Hoopsville? Did you miss any of the shows we have done so far this season?

Well, let's start with last night. Here is the link: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2012-13/jan10. We chatted with Lycoming's, Rochester's, and St. Thomas' mens coaches... and we talked to both womens coaches from Hope and Calvin.

And as for the rest of the season... go to this link: www.d3hoopsville.com
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Still working on confirmations... but it appears we will have:

- Swarthmore women
- UW-Whitewater women
- Rochester women
- Alvernia men
- Concordia-Moorhead men
- Capital men

And we may try and squeeze in another segment from the East Region- a very knowledgeable fan!

njf1003

What time is the show tomorrow?

Great job as always today!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Hey everyone... Hoopsville hits the air in 46 days! That's right... November 14th will kick off the season! We hope to have interviews with both of the new championship committee members and plenty more to get you ready for the 2013-14 season.

However in the meantime, keep an eye out for a special edition of Hoopsville surrounding the premiere of "We Are D3" (http://vimeo.com/ondemand/kurtdocs).

As always, stay in touch with us:
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville

KnightSlappy

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on September 29, 2013, 12:22:46 PM
Hey everyone... Hoopsville hits the air in 46 days! That's right... November 14th will kick off the season! We hope to have interviews with both of the new championship committee members and plenty more to get you ready for the 2013-14 season.

However in the meantime, keep an eye out for a special edition of Hoopsville surrounding the premiere of "We Are D3" (http://vimeo.com/ondemand/kurtdocs).

As always, stay in touch with us:
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville

My question is the same question I have every time. Exactly how much leeway do the the RAC get when interpreting the numbers of the primary criteria?

We've heard two different stories in the past. A few years ago it was "well the coaches in the RAC are there because they know the region and they're having basketball conversations and looking inside the numbers". Last year, it seemed, it was more "well we're tied to the criteria" (and we all know which team I'll cite as the example).

If it's #1, that's fine, but why didn't it work last year? If it's #2, that's fine, but why are college basketball coaches deemed best suited to interpret statistical data?

Other questions:

Can we please kill off Once Ranked Always Ranked?
Can we please release the data for the final rankings?
Can we please properly calculate SOS?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I have a feeling I can at least give you a heads up on some of these answers, but I will present some of them to the committee chair as well:

Quote from: KnightSlappy on November 07, 2013, 12:22:01 PM
My question is the same question I have every time. Exactly how much leeway do the the RAC get when interpreting the numbers of the primary criteria?

We've heard two different stories in the past. A few years ago it was "well the coaches in the RAC are there because they know the region and they're having basketball conversations and looking inside the numbers". Last year, it seemed, it was more "well we're tied to the criteria" (and we all know which team I'll cite as the example).

If it's #1, that's fine, but why didn't it work last year? If it's #2, that's fine, but why are college basketball coaches deemed best suited to interpret statistical data?

First, when it was a vote on the phone they tended to let the RACs vote, however the national committee did have the rights to go back to the RACs and say we don't agree and here are the reasons. We have talked about this often.

Second, two seasons ago the NCAA went to a "private" voting method. There would be a discussion on the phone, but then each RAC member would get off the phone and vote. The idea was that those whose arguments were being drowned out could still vote how they believed and not get steamed rolled into an opinion because more vocal members deemed it so. The problem this caused was RACs were very inconsistent across the country and even the RAC chairs (members of the national committee) wouldn't know how to "argue" their RACs vote when the results would surprise even them. The add to this misery, the national committee was not allowed to tweak RAC rankings or even advise why they had a problem until the very last ranking of the season - which we don't see.

Last year, some of that changed and I think you so that in the "use the criteria" mentality. You have administrators that may not know the region as well as the coaches (RACs and the national committee can not be made up of all coaches, it has to be a 50/50 split - though there are creative ways around that) and with an online ballot system now in place, the national committee wanted to make sure all of its RACs and its members were on the same page. This resulted in a more "criteria only" based rankings. It also avoids "old boys networks" and the like.

Take it for what it is... but I highly suspect the criteria only system is also what the NCAA mandates so that there are clear reasons for rankings and selections. Getting into "grey area" is what only causes more problems, especially when the NCAA preaches, though doesn't necessarily abide by, transparency.

Other questions:

Can we please kill off Once Ranked Always Ranked?

There is an effort, I think, to tweek (not twerk) this. I don't remember the details... but if it isn't happening then I am imaging it or in conversations on how to change the system that was a strong part of the conversation. For some reasons "twice ranked, always ranked" is in my head... but again, could be just from conversations and implementation. I do know that the football guide does not say "once ranked, always ranked" which adds to my reasoning. Again... this will certainly be a question I tackle.

Other questions:

Can we please release the data for the final rankings?

The men's basketball committee has been at the forefront of this for years. They want the data and the final rankings released - no questions about it. This is also why I got my hands on the final regional rankings last year. They want the transparency. They don't like the hidden nature of keeping those rankings quiet. However, there have been other committees... and from what I believe a minority... that have been against this. My gut tells me the old guard on the women's side has been part of this - but that is completely a gut feeling. However, things appear to be changing on the women's side (more on that in the future) and maybe this will change as well (I don't know who the minority are... I never get that answer when asked). But again, the men's basketball committee is told by the NCAA they can't release it and since the NCAA actually releases the information... they can't do much about it except leak the info.

Other questions:

Can we please properly calculate SOS?

This is certainly a topic of conversation for me. I know the men's basketball committee was not happy with how this transpired and it was a major topic for them after the season concluded... however, I have not gotten to the bottom of what if anything has changed. However, you can bet that will be one of the questions I will be asking for many people involved :).

Quickly back to your point about your rooting interests... I do want to point out that I have talked to that team's head coach many times and he has never complained about the process... both on the air and off. He has repeatedly pointed out that he understands the scenario and realizes the challenge of their situation. I will also say that I have noticed a marked change with many schools not only with the two in Michigan, but elsewhere, that the message is clear... schedule better to the best of your abilities... and I think that is starting to really take shape this year. That is a topic of a "rant" (though, I won't be complaining) on a Hoopsville episode in the near future.

Thanks, KnightSlappy, for the questions. I will ask them accordingly tomorrow (Friday) ahead of next Thursday's show. If anyone has any other questions for the men's committee chair (I tape an interview on Friday) or the women's committee chair... PLEASE email, tweet, Facebook, add to this thread, etc. so we can ask them.

THanks.

Mr. Ypsi

FYI: Pat dropped a bombshell on the Pool C football thread this afternoon - in football (at least) they are NOT using 'once ranked, always ranked' this year.  (Of course, that means the ONLY RRs that count are the secret final ones - good luck to those trying to project Pool B/C selections without sure knowledge of RROs! :o >:()

ronk

Dave,
  With the new item this year that all games count if at least 70% are D3, (1)does that mean that the regional rankings will be according to the all games criteria instead of the in-region criteria, and (2) which D3 teams will not be achieving the 70% criteria?

bballfan13

Dave,

I read earlier on the MIAA men's board that a new rule is being adopted next year for all of D3.  They are changing the in-region mileage rule from 200 miles to 500 miles.  Is this correct?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: bballfan13 on November 08, 2013, 09:42:16 AM
Dave,

I read earlier on the MIAA men's board that a new rule is being adopted next year for all of D3.  They are changing the in-region mileage rule from 200 miles to 500 miles.  Is this correct?

I haven't heard that, but I know it's been discussed.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere