BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Parkman

Quote from: MIFDad on March 09, 2018, 11:45:35 PM
81 runs in 6 games.  But they are not done!  Oxy tomorrow.

Boy, Oxy sure laid an egg in that one.  It's tough to understand how a team playing on full rest can lose to a team playing their 7th game in six days and comin off giving up 53 runs over 3 games.

Pretty good series between Chapman and Whittier.  Big game for both squads on Tuesday night.

Redlands threw away the first game with Centenary, literally.  Making 5 errors is not going to help in any game, especially not against a good club.  Coming back to get the split was good for them as getting swept would not have been a good deal.

Pomona is rolling right along and doing it quietly.

CMS put up video game numbers against Ursinus but I can't help but feel like their pitching is pretty thin.  Outslugging teams is going to be the way they will have to win games, and that's fine.

A lot of baseball to be played today.

Mike Lehman

Quote from: Jack Parkman on March 11, 2018, 10:55:40 AM
Quote from: MIFDad on March 09, 2018, 11:45:35 PM
81 runs in 6 games.  But they are not done!  Oxy tomorrow.

Boy, Oxy sure laid an egg in that one.  It's tough to understand how a team playing on full rest can lose to a team playing their 7th game in six days and comin off giving up 53 runs over 3 games.

Pretty good series between Chapman and Whittier.  Big game for both squads on Tuesday night.

Redlands threw away the first game with Centenary, literally.  Making 5 errors is not going to help in any game, especially not against a good club.  Coming back to get the split was good for them as getting swept would not have been a good deal.

Pomona is rolling right along and doing it quietly.

CMS put up video game numbers against Ursinus but I can't help but feel like their pitching is pretty thin.  Outslugging teams is going to be the way they will have to win games, and that's fine.

A lot of baseball to be played today.
Pomona, Redlands, and La Verne at the top.,

Chapman and Cal Lu not their year. Need to battle to get into the SCIAC playoffs and get hot  and win it if either hope to get to the regional.

Jack Parkman

I thought I had seen it all, but here is a new one for me.....

Chapman no-hits Whittier.....and loses 2-0.  Whittier gets 2 in the 8th on a walk, SAC bunt error, another SAC bunt error to score a run, passed ball to score another run, HBP, stolen base, K, pop up, K.

What an absolute nightmare for Chapman.

Purple Heys

You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Jack Parkman on March 13, 2018, 09:50:35 PM
I thought I had seen it all, but here is a new one for me.....

Chapman no-hits Whittier.....and loses 2-0.  Whittier gets 2 in the 8th on a walk, SAC bunt error, another SAC bunt error to score a run, passed ball to score another run, HBP, stolen base, K, pop up, K.

What an absolute nightmare for Chapman.

it happens but not often - from 4 years ago:
http://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2014/03/edgewood-hillmann-nohitter

Purple Heys

I submit that Chapman should not be attempting to no-hit Whittier.

In 2015, the Panthers no-hit Whittier through the first 5 innings, committed 5 errors and lost 8-6.  The Poets did end up with a few hits, but the scenarios were similar in that Chapman's inability to cleanly field the SAC bunt(s) were their downfall.

One other thing not fully credited was the guttiness of the Whittier pitching and defense, as the Poet offense generated nothing for 7 innings while the Panthers put pressure on almost every inning.  The Poets needed every bit of it including a dramatic Fly Out/Throw out at the Plate double play to prevent what could have been a winning run.

The game was played in rainy/drizzly weather and it is highly likely that had Chapman taken any lead after 6 complete, they may have stopped.

Both teams NEEDED to win this.

Purple Heys

I don't know if there is a stat tracking this but Whittier pitchers have got to be up there in picking runners off first.

They got another one that dramatically ended the game yesterday.

Chapman got a runner aboard with 2 out and a last chance.  One pitch later he was picked off and laying face first, pounding the dirt as the Poets celebrated their uncanny win.

SoCalSoxFan

Congratulations to CLU's Coach Marty Slimak for his 700th win yesterday!!   

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – California Lutheran head baseball coach Marty Slimak got his 700th win as the Kingsmen defeated the Ithaca Bombers 6-3 Tuesday afternoon at Ullman Stadium.

Coach Slimak got his 700th win in his 25th season at the helm of the Kingsmen. He is the 35th coach at the Division III level to accumulate 700 wins. On top of all the wins, the Kingsmen also won the 2017 NCAA World Series. They have six World Series appearances, 15 West Regional appearances and 14 SCIAC Championships.

Purple Heys

Quote from: SoCalSoxFan on March 14, 2018, 01:35:27 PM
Congratulations to CLU's Coach Marty Slimak for his 700th win yesterday!!   

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – California Lutheran head baseball coach Marty Slimak got his 700th win as the Kingsmen defeated the Ithaca Bombers 6-3 Tuesday afternoon at Ullman Stadium.

Coach Slimak got his 700th win in his 25th season at the helm of the Kingsmen. He is the 35th coach at the Division III level to accumulate 700 wins. On top of all the wins, the Kingsmen also won the 2017 NCAA World Series. They have six World Series appearances, 15 West Regional appearances and 14 SCIAC Championships.

Amazing accomplishments, congratulations to him.  An average of 28 wins per season...not easy.

Purple Heys

Big upcoming weekend in the SCIAC.  Chapman and Redlands are playing NC today, don't expect either to burn any frontline pitching just to get a W as they head into the final month of play.

P-P vs. Cal Tech.  P-P looks to avoid last year's slip.  Cal Tech used Krop (faced 35 hitters - Why???) vs. Middlebury.  Will be interested to see how they use him on short rest.  P-P has been hit hard by injuries, but guys are stepping up and they keep winning.

Redlands vs. CMS.  CMS needs to chip at least one off, and Redlands would get more distance on SCIAC #2 and more cred with a sweep.

Chapman vs. Cal Lu.  Neither team can afford to lose games here.  One team will lose at least 2, and it will hurt.  Must see TV.

Occidental vs. La Verne.  If Chapman and CLU weren't so compelling this would be the Series of the Week.  Might have to get two phones going at once to watch this and Chapman vs. CLU while I am attending Whittier vs. Geo Fox.

No easy weekends in the SCIAC.

Purple Heys

Quote from: Purple Heys on March 28, 2018, 06:48:17 PM
Big upcoming weekend in the SCIAC.  Chapman and Redlands are playing NC today, don't expect either to burn any frontline pitching just to get a W as they head into the final month of play.

P-P vs. Cal Tech.  P-P looks to avoid last year's slip.  Cal Tech used Krop (faced 35 hitters - Why???) vs. Middlebury.  Will be interested to see how they use him on short rest.  P-P has been hit hard by injuries, but guys are stepping up and they keep winning.

Redlands vs. CMS.  CMS needs to chip at least one off, and Redlands would get more distance on SCIAC #2 and more cred with a sweep.

Chapman vs. Cal Lu.  Neither team can afford to lose games here.  One team will lose at least 2, and it will hurt.  Must see TV.

Occidental vs. La Verne.  If Chapman and CLU weren't so compelling this would be the Series of the Week.  Might have to get two phones going at once to watch this and Chapman vs. CLU while I am attending Whittier vs. Geo Fox.

No easy weekends in the SCIAC.
P-P 2-1 over Cal Tech.  Beavers prove last year was no fluke.  Having been mercied 5 straight in SCIAC play, Cal Tech's Krop comes back on 2 days rest to hold P-P to 2 runs.  Crazy.

Redlands 2-1 over CMS.  Stags chip one off the SCIAC leaders and keep themselves in the mix.

Chapman 2-1 over CLU.  Chapman sees 10 game win streak stopped, but takes a critical series.

La Verne 2-1 over Oxy.  La Verne quietly tied with Redlands in the loss column.  Oxy has Redlands, P-P, Chapman remaining in SCIAC.

Whittier 2-1 over Geo Fox.  Poets could have won all three or lost all three.  Spotted the Bruins early leads in each game and came back each time.  WC 13-3 in non-league games (5-2 in the NWC - maybe could go to the NWC Conference Tourney?).  ;D  Poets have critical series with CLU on tap.

Truly, no easy weekends in the SCIAC.

Mike Lehman

It is possible that Chapman could win 30 games but miss out of the SCIAC playoffs. Losing the wrong games at the wrong time will be costly. They almost need to win out their remaining games and have teams ahead them lose. to make the top 4 in the SCIAC.  ??? ??? ??? ???

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Mike Lehman on April 04, 2018, 04:03:40 PM
It is possible that Chapman could win 30 games but miss out of the SCIAC playoffs. Losing the wrong games at the wrong time will be costly. They almost need to win out their remaining games and have teams ahead them lose. to make the top 4 in the SCIAC.  ??? ??? ??? ???

I highly doubt it.  I think Chapman rolls through their last 12 games at 11-1 or 10-2 and finishes 2nd.

As for the rest of the SCIAC:

Redlands has La Verne, Oxy, and Pomona.  They have a firm grasp on the 1 seed.

La Verne has Redlands, Pomona, Chapman, and Whittier.  That is a pretty tough stretch.
Pomona has CMS, La Verne, Oxy and Redlands left.  The way they finish all depends on which team shows up, the one who took 2/3 from Chapman and swept Whittier, or the one that dropped 2/3 to Cal Lu and lost to Caltech.

Oxy has Redlands, Pomona, and Chapman left.  They have been getting very solid Friday wins but after that they are pretty hit and miss.  I don't think they have the offense to beat these teams but what I think doesn't really matter.

CMS has Pomona, Chapman, Whittier and Cal Lu.  Again, not an easy stretch.  CMS has been very up and down and look like a team that can beat anybody or lose to anybody on any given day.  They cannot afford to go on a cold streak.

Cal Lu has Whittier, Caltech and CMS left.  They have to win a Friday SCIAC game this year, right?  The pitchign has been good but their hitting just stinks.  They cannot lose any of the remaining 3 series, simple as that.

Chapman has Caltech, CMS, La Verne and Oxy left and they really should roll through that.  They are the most talented team in the SCIAC that gets the least out of their talent.

Whittier has Cal Lu, Caltech, CMS and La Verne.  Will the non-conference Poets make a run at the top 4?  They really cannot afford many more losses (duh) and some teams ahead of them need to drop some games.

Caltech has Chapman, Whittier and Cal Lu left.  They got a win last week, will they get another?

Teddy_Ballgame

Was looking at the standings today and noticed some interesting things. First thing that struck me was Chapman's 15-1 non-con record. Started looking at everyone else's and noticed that the SCIAC has been pretty great this year out of conference. While that's always a tad skewed by getting some east coast teams who've just started playing outdoors, I think this year has been the most impressive in recent memory. Every team besides Caltech is over .500 in non-con.

Full results:

Redlands  12-4
La Verne   9-7
Pomona    9-5
Occidental 7-5
Cal Lu       10-3
Chapman  15-1
CMS          9-7
Whittier     13-3
Caltech      3-7

Total: 87-42

That's a conference winning percentage of .674 against out of conference opponents. Very impressive, and hopefully will be significant when those Pool C bids are given out this year. I'd think Chapman and Redlands are both in the running.