MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 03, 2016, 10:55:36 PM
Quote from: iwumichigander on June 03, 2016, 09:09:19 PMOh Pleez We all know iwu70, AndOne and particularly Mr. Ypsi are capable of more verbosely and minutely excruciating details than posted herein.

Shhh! Don't tempt him!

Quote from: iwumichigander on June 03, 2016, 09:09:19 PMThe only other poster than can exceed them would be ... Sager.  And there is a lot of corn in Manito.

Well, in theory, yeah. (The me thing, not the corn-in-Manito thing.) But I've never watched a women's track & field event, and I don't see myself writing copious posts about one in the future. In other words, I'm not in that Volkswagen Beetle. ;)

If I were an NPU guy, I probably wouldn't care about women's T&F either, but at IWU we dominate. ;D  (NATIONALLY.  We dominate the conference even more in women's golf, but can't overcome the obstacle of not being able to play 12 months a year. :()

And I challenge your presumption - I'm betting the number of readers of this thread who care about women's T&F would exceed even circus clowns' ability to fit into a VW Beetle.  We may be few, but we are not vanishingly few.

More importantly, I eagerly welcome almost ANYTHING to keep this board going during the off-season.  It could be best places to eat in each CCIW location, worst haircuts of CCIW coaches, best books you've read recently, whatever - just, please, no cobwebs in CCIW Chat! ;D

John Gleich

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 03, 2016, 07:27:20 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 02, 2016, 10:45:03 PM
Quote from: iwumichigander on June 02, 2016, 09:43:25 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 02, 2016, 04:46:37 PM
While I'm usually the first to complain about iwu70's boosterish digressions, in this case I have to defend him with specific regard to the women's outdoor track & field thing. The unspoken tradition in this room has been that, while discussing in-season progress of other sports (a la iwu70) is discouraged, it's OK to make note on CCIW Chat of a national championship won by a CCIW school in another sport. For example, several of North Central's various cross-country titles have been noted here as they've been won.

(I'm just hoping that this doesn't turn into a case of "give him an inch, and he'll take a mile." ;))
Thank-you for posting this ...
because iwu70 has yet to note the individual first place finishes at the national track meet nor that Coach Chris Schumacher was recognized as the women's national coach of the year (and a third time winner of this award) nor those events where IWU placed multiple award finishers.  And oh yeah, a men's individual event national champion in the discus event.  I probably missed a few things but iwu70 will fill us in!

I'll begin the filling-in process for my erstwhile classmate. ;)  Women's individual national champions were Amelia Glueck (long jump) and Molly McGraw (high jump) - both also setting IWU records.  (Those of you who follow women's basketball will be well familiar with Molly, who was 3rd team AC as a freshman, and 2nd team AC this year as a sophomore.)  Max Leonard was the men's national champ in the discus. 

Also kudos to sophomore Luke Winder of NCC, who has now swept the national titles in the pole vault both indoor and outdoor this year and last. :o

The national COY is voted by the coaches, but appears to be de facto almost as automatic as the CCIW men's basketball COY - Chris Schumacher's three COY awards are the same three years IWU has won the women's national title.  (Which is to take nothing away from Coach Schumacher - he recruited them, he trained them, he motivated them [though if they need motivation at the national finals, they were the wrong recruits! ::)])

And great thanks to ALL the Titan women who scored in the tourney - we needed every point!  We beat out Baldwin Wallace by ONE point, and Wash U by 3.

[BTW, Greg, IWU also won the national title in opera! ;D]

I said that the tradition was that we noted national championships in other sports, gentlemen, not that we described them in fulsome and excruciating detail. ::) When NCC won its most recent x-country Walnut & Bronze in '14, it got a one-line mention on CCIW Chat. That's the general idea.

I'm willing to bet -- all together now -- all the corn in Manito that the number of people who read this room who give a rat's tuchus about women's track & field could fit into a Volkswagen Beetle with room left over.

You're lucky that I don't give a rat's tuchus about WT&F... because I don't fit in a VW Beetle by myself... let alone with any one else... or any room left over!
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Titan Q

IWU's 9 non-conference opponents in 2016-17 are:

* Dominican (H)
* Webster (H)
* Aurora or Loras (H)
* MacMurray (H)
* Ohio Wesleyan (A)
* Washington U. (A)
* Chicago (H)
* Middlebury (Staten Island, NY)
* Bridgewater or Staten Island (Staten Island, NY)

http://www.iwusports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball&schedule=166&

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 03, 2016, 11:25:22 PM
If I were an NPU guy, I probably wouldn't care about women's T&F either, but at IWU we dominate. ;D

"We"? Which was your event, Chuck? The 400? The high jump? The hurdles?

(Now I see why you were so interested in getting Ralph Turner to be your gynecologist. ;))
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 05, 2016, 06:48:06 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 03, 2016, 11:25:22 PM
If I were an NPU guy, I probably wouldn't care about women's T&F either, but at IWU we dominate. ;D

"We"? Which was your event, Chuck? The 400? The high jump? The hurdles?

(Now I see why you were so interested in getting Ralph Turner to be your gynecologist. ;))

LOL!! ;D

But it is a well-established tradition (for better or worse) that members of a college community (often extended even to supporters who never attended the school) can use 'we' when talking about the sports teams (or other events), even if literally it makes no sense.  I'm sure you are aware that English (and probably every other language) is chock-full of such usages, whether nonsense or not.  (With the Cubbies absolutely running away with the division title, I'll bet even you have slipped into 'we' now and then! ;D)

Titan Q

Article on IWU's 7-member recruiting class...

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/basketball/men/iwu-basketball-completes-seven-player-recruiting-class/article_0889cb1e-3b83-5faa-b680-e088ed92c3ec.html

One player not previously mentioned here -- Bernie Coderre, 6-2 PG/SG, Homewood-Flossmoor.  Coderre's father, Brian, played alongside Ron Rose at IWU.

AppletonRocks

Run the floor or Run DMC !!

2016 WIAC Pick 'Em Board Champion

izzy stradlin

Quote from: wheels81 on June 08, 2016, 03:32:29 PM
Wheaton's recruits including a 2 sport athlete

http://athletics.wheaton.edu/news/2016/6/7/the-thunder-mens-basketball-program-announces-newcomers.aspx

Wheaton was 1-13 in the CCIW last year, lost their 2 best players and 4 rotation seniors. 

Regarding this year's class--"we intentionally pursued a smaller group."   -Mike Schauer.   

I don't want to come across as the Ourhouse of Wheaton College but this statement is a real head scratcher.   I'd think any CCIW coach coming off a 1-13 season would make every effort to bring in as much talent as he can.  You never know exactly how good these kids will be until they get on campus.   I guess now it's clear why the talent level at Wheaton has dropped so much.   Follow up bad seasons with less recruiting. 

Someone tell me I'm wrong. 

Gregory Sager

Billy Kirby, a 6'1, 180 rising-junior guard from Mundelein Carmel via Cardinal Stritch, has deposited at North Park.

Last season at Cardinal Stritch he started 18 games for the Wolves, averaging 5.3 ppg in about 20 minutes per game and shooting 39% from downtown.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

Quote from: izzy stradlin on June 09, 2016, 12:05:04 AM

http://athletics.wheaton.edu/news/2016/6/7/the-thunder-mens-basketball-program-announces-newcomers.aspx

Wheaton was 1-13 in the CCIW last year, lost their 2 best players and 4 rotation seniors. 

Regarding this year's class--"we intentionally pursued a smaller group."   -Mike Schauer.   

I don't want to come across as the Ourhouse of Wheaton College but this statement is a real head scratcher.   I'd think any CCIW coach coming off a 1-13 season would make every effort to bring in as much talent as he can.  You never know exactly how good these kids will be until they get on campus.   I guess now it's clear why the talent level at Wheaton has dropped so much.   Follow up bad seasons with less recruiting. 

Not at all sure I can tell you that, Izzy.
The logic does seem a bit confusing.
Perhaps Coach Schauer knows something about his returning players that we don't, and that precludes the need for much new help?  :-\

AndOne

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 09, 2016, 12:06:34 AM
Billy Kirby, a 6'1, 180 rising -junior guard from Mundelein Carmel via Cardinal Stritch, has deposited at North Park.

Last season at Cardinal Stritch he started 18 games for the Wolves, averaging 5.3 ppg in about 20 minutes per game and shooting 39% from downtown.

What in the heck is a "rising" junior guard?  ???  Is he still growing?
Maybe he'll be 6'3" next year.  ;D

lmitzel

Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Pat Coleman

Quote from: AndOne on June 09, 2016, 01:25:28 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 09, 2016, 12:06:34 AM
Billy Kirby, a 6'1, 180 rising -junior guard from Mundelein Carmel via Cardinal Stritch, has deposited at North Park.

What in the heck is a "rising" junior guard?  ???  Is he still growing?
Maybe he'll be 6'3" next year.  ;D

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic here or truly don't know but it's actually a pretty common phrasing to use "rising" to indicate the fact that he'll be a junior in the fall, rather than having been a junior this past season. In between seasons, it's not a problem to provide a little clarity.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

petemcb

Quote from: izzy stradlin on June 09, 2016, 12:05:04 AM

I had exactly the same reaction, Izzy.  I guess time will tell.  Maybe Coach Schauer has gone for quality over quantity.