MBB: Little East

Started by diiih00ps, January 25, 2005, 12:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

Long bus ride it must be....price one pays for a win?
7Express....nice to know you will be around.  Congrats to you...College grad!   
Maybe we can catch a game together again sometime.  Think about it!

7express

Quote from: Hoops Fan on August 30, 2014, 03:40:08 PM

Also, flying to Presque Isle probably means flying from Hartford to Boston then to Portland, then driving six hours on a bus.

You might be able to charter something closer, but the costs would be ridiculous.

Even if the NCAA was fitting the bill (good to know Pat I had no idea it was for NCAA's only, thanks!) I don't even think there are ay flights from Hartford-Boston direct, so it probably would've been either:
1) New York to Portland direct than a 4 hour trip up north
2) New York to Bangor direct than a 3 hour trip up north (but only 2 direct flights!)
3) New York to Boston for a connection to Presque Isle

Magic: Even getting 2 wins by 60 points wouldn't be worth the trip.  Imagine if they actually LOST a game!!!   :o

7express

You might be able to charter something closer, but the costs would be ridiculous.

Maybe Relient Air a charter company located at the Danbury airport can run some discount that the team can pay for with raffles, etc from fall sporting events.  Isn't that how the baseball & softball teams get down to Florida anyways??

As for the bus, I can't imagine.  There's the exit for Southern Maine.......and we're not even halfway there yet!!  :P  :'(

magicman

Quote from: 7express on August 29, 2014, 04:52:47 PM
http://wcsuathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2014-15/schedule

Western's schedule.  Take note of the first 2 games: vs. Maine-Augusta (a USCAA school) @ Presque isle about as far north in Maine as you can go while still being in the United States and the next day @ UM-PI.  WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY???  What's the point??  So we can sit on a bus for 10 hours and get 2 easy wins??  If they want easy wins: schedule CCNY & Sarah Lawrence!!  Instead of a 10 hour trip or 3 flights we can take a 80 minute bus trip to those 2 schools.  Makes absolutely no sense.  Hopefully someone can shed some light.

Note: Just checked, UM-PI to Western is 544 miles, so at least the NCAA will pay the flight....HOWEVER the nearest airport we can probably get to is Bangor which is 160 miles and 3 hours down 95, and if we fly direct into Portland that's 290 miles and about 4.5 hours down 95 so what's the point??  There is a regional airport in Presque Isle, but I think they only have flights to Boston and possibly Montreal and or Toronto, so that could be a problem especially if the first flight is delayed, bad weather, etc.  Makes absolutely no sense why we would even entertain the thought of going up there, yet alone actually going up there.  As I said in the first paragraph, WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY???

Hey 7express,

I'm not sure if the powers that be at Western Connecticut heard your complaints or not, but the schedule has been changed and your Colonials no longer have that 2 game venture into Maine. Those games have been removed from the schedule.

Quote from: 7express on August 29, 2014, 04:52:47 PM
Btw, rest of the schedule: ehhh.  That's about all I'll say in regards to the creampuff non-LEC portion of the schedule.  No reason they should not be 9-0 heading into the Dartmouth game as the 2 toughest opponents (Vassar & Mitchell [didn't we play them at home last year too??] are at home), and the talent level of UMPI & Augusta should make up for the long travel.   IF I were a betting man, I'd take a bet that Western is no worse then 13-1 heading into the first RIC game, that schedule is an absolute joke.

The creampuff  non-LEC portion of Western's schedule just got a little harder as the 1st 2 games are now against The College of New Jersey and my Plattsburgh State Cardinals. I believe that 9-0 mark heading into the Dartmouth game may not happen. I think the Colonials will be 1-1 after their 1st 2 games. ;) It also appears that Albertus Magnus will host Western on 12-15. We tried to get that game with them but couldn't work it out. I think Western will play Plattsburgh State again next year in Plattsburgh. You'll have to come and visit me if that happens.

So Western went from playing a couple of teams that would have put a big hurt on their SOS to playing 2 teams that went to the Sweet 16 last year. (Plattsburgh and AM) Western may not win those 2 games but the team will certainly benefit from playing them and could get them primed for conference play.   

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: 7express on September 01, 2014, 01:44:35 AM

Maybe Relient Air a charter company located at the Danbury airport can run some discount that the team can pay for with raffles, etc from fall sporting events.  Isn't that how the baseball & softball teams get down to Florida anyways??

As for the bus, I can't imagine.  There's the exit for Southern Maine.......and we're not even halfway there yet!!

The highway ENDS! before you get to Presque Isle.  I mean, they're north of Canada.  Seriously.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

7express

Maybe someone does read these boards after all...

amh63

7 Express....did you post/respond just to reach 3000!  Congrats. On reaching another milestone.  Anticipating you posting on the CAC board soon....to provide some fine comments and better still...numbers!

7express

Quote from: amh63 on October 01, 2014, 05:08:49 PM
7 Express....did you post/respond just to reach 3000!  Congrats. On reaching another milestone.  Anticipating you posting on the CAC board soon....to provide some fine comments and better still...numbers!

Sorry Amh, my baseball team (Nationals) is in the playoffs, so I haven't even looked at anything basketball related yet this year.  I'll be cutting it close with my predictions this year.

And probably one of my posts in the pick 'em boards for football got me to 3,000, but thank you!  ;D

7express

I'm thinking of starting an LEC pick em contest this year.  If anyone is interested let me know.  Haven't come up with any rules because I want to judge how many people would be interested (if I can get at least 8 to 10 at minimum that are interested I'd start it) but would think it would be something eerily similar to the WIAC, National pick em league, and all the football pick 'em games.

AllStar

Quote from: 7express on October 13, 2014, 07:12:15 PM
I'm thinking of starting an LEC pick em contest this year.  If anyone is interested let me know.  Haven't come up with any rules because I want to judge how many people would be interested (if I can get at least 8 to 10 at minimum that are interested I'd start it) but would think it would be something eerily similar to the WIAC, National pick em league, and all the football pick 'em games.

Sure, I'd be in for it.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: 7express on October 13, 2014, 07:12:15 PM

What the hell is the LEC: Least Entertaining Conference??  Actually, pencil me in - every contest needs someone who is used to coming in last! ;D

middhoops

I check this board out often.  Count me in.

7express

On November 1 if there's still interest in this I'll start a sign up sheet with the rules.  From the looks of it we've got 4 or 5 right now so I'll probably still go along with it even if we get no one in the next 10 or so days.

amh63

7express....still pondering.  Not to good in such play, and many other excuses including not smart enough for such things.  My days War gaming in Newport told me that fact.

middhoops

Quote from: amh63 on October 21, 2014, 01:01:05 PM
7express....still pondering.  Not to good in such play, and many other excuses including not smart enough for such things.  My days War gaming in Newport told me that fact.
You sandbagger!
I wouldn't be surprised if you already had an algorithm for this game, amh63.