MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: WUH on September 08, 2014, 01:33:13 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 01, 2014, 05:10:01 PM
Nazareth is a former women's college that went coed in the '70s. The Golden Flyers first fielded a men's basketball team in the 1976-77 season. It was an NAIA program until 1982-83 when, as you mentioned, it switched over to NCAA D3. Former Knicks and Rockets head coach Jeff Van Gundy was the star of those early D3 Nazareth teams. He led them to a D3 tourney appearance in 1983-84, only the second year of Nazareth's eligibility, and he's still the school's all-time leader in FT percentage.

I have said it before and I will say it again: I wish you would write the book on the history of Division III basketball.

Thanks! Maybe someday.

Quote from: John Gleich on September 08, 2014, 01:46:53 PM
It may already be complete... it's just up to someone else to compile his posts over the years into one volume!   ;)

One shudders to think of the forest that would have to be denuded in order to accommodate such a volume.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

newCCIWfan

Mr. Ypsi

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 23, 2014, 10:39:57 PM
Quote from: newCCIWfan on September 23, 2014, 10:11:42 PM
Quote from: y_jack_lok on September 09, 2014, 03:31:35 PM
Webster roster is posted: http://websterathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

33 players by my count ... That's a lot of players, even for this early in the year.

I sure hope Webster has a JV team!

There is a 15 game JV schedule that you can see if you click "Additional Links" on the horizontal menu bar. Only 12 of the players listed currently have numbers assigned, all of whom were varsity players last season. Of the 26 un-numbered players it's my guess that 5-7 will make the varsity roster.

hopefan

Each year I rate the non conference schedules of the SLIAC teams.  I use a little objectivity, but mostly base my ratings on how I personally feel about seeing each team's non conference games.  My personal factors are 'D3ness', perceived quality of D3 opponents, D2 or D1 opponents, and travel experiences offered (ie West Coast, Colorado, etc).
(Win-loss records are last year's record)
So, Rating the schedules from worst to best:

10)  Iowa Wesleyan     Opponents are 6 Christian schools and Knox (winner of 1 game last year).  A totally uninspiring schedule, though it will likely get IWC a couple of wins.

9)  Principia   Prin currently shows only 5 non conference games rather than the 7 they have room for, so I have to rate them low.  They actually play 3 solid D3 teams: UW Platteville (16-11), Loras (15-11), and Millikin (8-17), but also Lincoln Christian and St Louis Christian.

8)  Eureka     Eureka has games with two D1 schools, Bradley and Eastern Illinois - very exciting for players and fans, until they're down 40 with 10 to play.  Home and away with Lincoln Christian isn't very inspirational.  Only three games with D3 teams, each with losing records last year: North Park (3-21), Rockford (10-15), and Monmouth 6-17)

7)  Greenville     Greenville opens the season at Elmhurst (14-11) with Westmin playing Millikin in the doubleheader, and later plays Millikin (8-17). The only other D3 game Greenville plays is vs Dominican (4-21).  They do have 2 solid D2 oponents in Lindenwood (Mo) (11-19), and McKendree (9-17), and D1 Western Illinois, along with Christian school Lincoln Christian.

6)  Westminster    Westmin also opens the season at Elmhurst with tourney games versus CCIW teams Millikin (8-17) and Elmhurst (14-11), a good test for Westmin's many new faces.  They also play two D3 Iowa conference opponents in Central (21-8) and Simpson (4-21).  Non D3 opponents are D2 Central Missouri (30-5, last year's NATIONAL CHAMPS) and Maryville (11-14), and Christian school Central Christian from Moberly.

5)  Blackburn     Blackburn plays 7 D3 schools (well, one is provisional status), presenting a blend of 5 very good programs and 2 cupcakes that should generate BC wins.  They start the season with a tremendous trip, to the Colorado College tourney where they open with the host Colorado College (17-8).  The next night they'll play either Grinnell (19-6) or George Fox (16-9).  The next week they go to the Wisconsin Oshkosh tourney and face UW Oshkosh (12-14)..don't know the other two teams.  They also play Rose Hulman (22-6).  Fortunately, Illinois Tech (0-25) and Knox (1-24) round things out.

4)  Webster      Webster plays 7 D3 opponents.  They start out the first weekend of the season on the road at Monmouth (6-17) and Knox (1-24), not too exciting, but after that, the schedule is solid, with CCIW Millikin (8-17), Texas Dallas (27-4), Loras (15-11), Wash U (24-3) (admittedly clobbered by graduation), and Central (21-8).  This is a tossup with Blackburn's schedule.

3) Spalding      Spalding as usual is playing a tough non conference schedule, despite being clobbered by graduation.  They open up in Atlanta with Oglethorpe (21-7) and NCCAA Toccoa Falls (11-16).  Then, 5 D3 games with Birmingham Southern (17-10), Transylvania (9-17), Hanover (19-9), and at the Wooster Tourney, Hope (20-8), and either Wooster (26-4) or UW Lacrosse (17-10).

2)  Fontbonne   New Coach Anthony Hall sure didn't try to soften Fontbonne's schedule as he takes over the Griffs.   The schedule includes TWO trips to California and a trip to Memphis, to play 6 or 7 D3 opponents.  They join Wash U to start the season in Memphis, playing Hendrix (10-16) and Rhodes (15-12), then play Elmhurst (14-11) at home.  Then it's trip no 1 to California to play next door neighbor (truly one block) Wash U (24-3), I heard it's some kind of alumni arranged deal. Later it's up to Augustana (20-8), then back to California after Christmas to play in the Cal Lutheran Tourney vs Cal Lu (19-8).. second opponent to be determined

1)  MacMurray   I usually find something on the schedule to give Coach Todd Creal grief about, but wow, not this year, as Mac climbs to the No 1 schedule on Hopefan's list. On the schedule are two D2 teams, Quincy (10-18), and UMSL (16-12).  Beyond that are 5 solid D3 teams in Texas Dallas (27-4) and Millikin (8-17) at Webster U, Augustana (20-8), and in a tourney before Christmas at Oglethorpe, Oglethorpe (21-7) and Centre (24-5).  TOUGH SCHEDULE
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

y_jack_lok

Nice job, hopefan. An interesting mix of non-conference schedules. It will be interesting to see the outcomes between the various SLIAC schools and their common opponents. I don't think I can find them all, but  Iowa Wesleyan, Webster and Blackburn all play Knox. Webster and Eureka both play Monmouth. Webster and Fontbonne both play Wash U. Greenville, Webster, Westminster, Principia and MacMurray all play Millikin. Greenville, Fontbonne and Westminster play Elmhurst. Webster and Mac play Texas Dallas. I probably missed some.

magicman

Good job hopefan. 8-)  Now I know you're retired because that must have taken up a good portion of your evening to go into all the detail that you've put in that post. (Although you have done it for previous years, before your retirement)  The posters on this board don't know how lucky they are to have you. Well some of them (like y-jack) do. Only 13 days till practices start...44 days till gametime.   

y_jack_lok

Here's a question that's entered my mind a couple of times and surfaced again last night whe I noticed that Millikin has scheduled five SLIAC schools for the non-CCIW portion of it's schedule: Is Millikin a candidate to join the SLIAC? I've read elsewhere that some school is leaving its current conference to join the CCIW. Not that the CCIW can't  grow, but geographically Millikin would be a good fit for the SLIAC.

ecreddevils

Good post, Hope. Enjoyed reading.

Not sure about Millikin joining the SLIAC, would be a step down in terms of reputation, but competitively it makes sense given their recent basketball history: last four years MU has a 6-51 conference record, but 6-1 against SLIAC teams, with an average margin of victory of 10.5 pts.  I don't see it happening; however, especially given that it would leave them without a football home.

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: y_jack_lok on October 02, 2014, 07:44:27 AM
Here's a question that's entered my mind a couple of times and surfaced again last night whe I noticed that Millikin has scheduled five SLIAC schools for the non-CCIW portion of it's schedule: Is Millikin a candidate to join the SLIAC? I've read elsewhere that some school is leaving its current conference to join the CCIW. Not that the CCIW can't  grow, but geographically Millikin would be a good fit for the SLIAC.

Don't have clue what Millikin's plans are but it is Carroll University leaving the MidWest Conference to join the CCIW.  I believe that they had been a CCIW member prior to joining the MWC so essentially they are rejoining the CCIW.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

WUPHF

Quote from: ecreddevils on October 02, 2014, 11:27:49 AM
Not sure about Millikin joining the SLIAC, would be a step down in terms of reputation, but competitively it makes sense given their recent basketball history: last four years MU has a 6-51 conference record, but 6-1 against SLIAC teams, with an average margin of victory of 10.5 pts.  I don't see it happening; however, especially given that it would leave them without a football home.

It seems as though Millikin would save a lot on transportation costs and time away from the classroom, given their proximity to the SLIAC schools in Illinois and St. Louis.  Even Fulton is not much farther away than Chicago.

But Millikin, like so many other schools, arguably needs football for gender balance.

WUPHF

Quote from: hopefan on October 01, 2014, 10:24:18 PM
Each year I rate the non conference schedules of the SLIAC teams.

This is awesome. Good work!

y_jack_lok

Quote from: WUH on October 02, 2014, 02:38:12 PM
Quote from: ecreddevils on October 02, 2014, 11:27:49 AM

It seems as though Millikin would save a lot on transportation costs and time away from the classroom, given their proximity to the SLIAC schools in Illinois and St. Louis.  Even Fulton is not much farther away than Chicago.

But Millikin, like so many other schools, arguably needs football for gender balance.

I wasn't advocating for Millikin to join the SLIAC, just curious about it. And, of course, I realize that there are many more sports than basketball to consider. They would probably dominate the conference in women's basketball. I actually think they should stay put, but as I said in my original post, the notion popped into my head again because of the five non-conference men's basketball games against SLIAC teams this year. This year could be an anomaly, however.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: hopefan on October 01, 2014, 10:24:18 PM8)  Eureka     Eureka has games with two D1 schools, Bradley and Eastern Illinois - very exciting for players and fans, until they're down 40 with 10 to play.  Home and away with Lincoln Christian isn't very inspirational.  Only three games with D3 teams, each with losing records last year: North Park (3-21), Rockford (10-15), and Monmouth 6-17)

NPU was 4-21 last season. Don't cheat us out of what little we had. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell