WBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronk

We were led to believe from the job posting that the coach would be named by the end of May.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I thought you guys would know by now that you can't always take those kinds of things at face value! haha

I am sure the administration is working hard at it ... but I couldn't not tell you how many plans to "hire a coach," "complete an investigation," or "make a decision" have not hit a timeline in this world. :)

I mean ... they could close the search and try again in August, I guess. Too soon? ;)

Again, relax everyone.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

NEPAFAN

You trying to drive down site traffic?
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: NEPAFAN on June 06, 2019, 05:01:19 PM
You trying to drive down site traffic?

Not sure how you think that ... you guys are coming here no matter what. If it isn't coach search convo it's recruiting discussions. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Rofrog

Dave it is part of the subject of Basketball!!!

Rofrog

From what I heard if you wait until August that doesnt give the other school alot of time to do a search for a Coach.So when you say by June 1st your expecting June 1st.When you have 200 applications and your down to top 4 candidates in a month that in itself is fast.So yes it is a discussion board and that is exactly what we are doing in a positive way!!!😁😁😁

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Rofrog on June 06, 2019, 10:02:13 PM
From what I heard if you wait until August that doesnt give the other school alot of time to do a search for a Coach.So when you say by June 1st your expecting June 1st.When you have 200 applications and your down to top 4 candidates in a month that in itself is fast.So yes it is a discussion board and that is exactly what we are doing in a positive way!!!😁😁😁

The August comment was a joke about the last time Scranton went through this Trevor ended up being hired in late August (early September) ... just a joke. Nothing more.

And I'me having fun with you guys ... you all are so wrapped up in a decision that I am sure will be pretty solid. Remember, those doing the hiring hired Woodruff.

Rofrog

Agreed about the people behind the hiring (very much).Dont forget that was a double whammy with hiring an AD first then a coach and Dave(AD) did a great job and his team did a great job(Trevor) and I'm sure they will do it again!!

Rofrog

Welcome Coach Dipillo to Scranton!!!!

NEPAFAN

Wow. Someone had the inside scoop and let me know first thing this morning. Glad he has the Jersey connection.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

saratoga

When Dave appointed Trevor 4 years ago, I knew he hit a walk off grand slam with that hire.

This person is a complete unknown quantity with no recent familiar D3 background but he does have experience on the DI level & WNBA.

The question now becomes how does that experience translate to the D3 level?

Recruiting with dollars to give is very different from recruiting asking parents to drop 50k per year. That process is not for everyone.

How long will it take him to get to know the Scranton area high school coaches?

In the meantime, do the other local colleges make recruiting inroads they never had before?

Wish I had a better sense of this hire.

However, this isn't Dave's first rodeo so i think we can all feel safe that this choice has been thoroughly evaluated.

Time will certainly tell.

Welcome.

Rofrog

Yes Dave knows what he is doing.But Saratoga have to disagree with you on the grand slam i mean he came into a team that had three all americans
in Payonk,Roman,and Mann not one he recruited so he was handed alot as a Coach.Just to say

saratoga

My point with Trevor being a great hire was that a number of people I know knew him from his days at Miseri as head coach of the men & raved about his passion, ability to coach (X & O's) & his willingness to work his butt off.

Couple that with some nice pieces left from the previous staff & you had a true recipe for success.

As a senior on Trevor's first team told me this year right before the first round of NCAA tournament games...Trevor was the most prepared & organized coach she's ever had. She added she learned more about basketball in its truest form in one year under him than in all the coaching she had previously.

Trevor didn't have one great year with someone else's players & then did nothing, he sustained excellence over 4 straight years.
Don't forget, in his first season he took a team that couldn't win at home in the first round & led them to the Elite 8 minus a graduated All-American.
As for Alexix, she didn't even start her soph year & her minutes were all over the place. Her game was greatly improved once Trevor came in.

Those are the results that we all saw which only validated the feeling that his hire was going to be a great one.

The point is with nothing similar to compare (head coaching record) & not knowing anyone that actually knows him, it's hard to say how decent or good or great this hire is until he has the opportunity to get it going.

Until then, we wish him the best & hope for the best.

Conversely, everyone I knew that knew Trevor said great things will happen under his leadership...they were not wrong.

gordonmann

Coach Woodruff was also native to that area and had deep roots there. I assume that was a big advantage in recruiting.