MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Same as Above

Most of the 14 D-II schools in Pennsylvania are pretty much still D-III schools, in that they are not fully funded and fall well short of 10 scholarships.  Some schools only have a couple, and once they're used, they recruit just like the D-III's.  In fact, there are many D-II's all over the country that operate this way also.  Therefore, edging them closer to D-III than most people realize.  I don't know the exact number (project for super bored lame posting up guy, whoever that may be), but I bet it is over half of the 300 or so D-II teams.

Titan Q

Dudley Bridges, father of IWU A.D. Dennie Bridges, passed away Wednesday.  Dudley was a regular fixture at Titan home games and one of the loyal members of the "fan bus" crew, making it to just about every road game.

Please keep the Bridges family in your prayers.

http://www.pantagraph.com/stories/081205/obi_20050812039.shtml

Gregory Sager

In that case, North Park would've been exclusively NCAA College Division from June '72 to September '74, since that's when the College Division split into D2 and D3. The first D3 tournament was held in March '75 at the conclusion of D3's initial season.

Same As Above is right about there being a considerable number of mid-sized state schools in D2 that operate like D3s in that they don't give out athletic scholarships, and there's also a considerable number that give out only limited athletic scholarship money. I know that some of the California state schools operate that way. I've pointed this out on more than one occasion on the WIAC board, when the regulars there have protested that if their league moved to D2 they'd be in over their heads against all of those scholarship schools.

There were actually a variety of state schools that were a part of D3 at its inception in the mid-seventies. As Mike said, the NJAC was D3 from the beginning. So were the SUNYAC, LEC, MASCAC, and the CUNYAC. At least one PSAC school, Mansfield University, made an appearance in an early D3 basketball tournament. A number of California state schools, including CSU-Stanislaus, CSU-San Bernardino, CSU-Sonoma, and CSU-Humboldt, also made D3 tourney appearances. D3's prodigal son from the Land of 10,000 Lakes, Minnesota-Morris, was a D3 member back in the early days. So. too, were such stray dogs as Savannah State down in Georgia, UNC-Greensboro, and Salisbury. I'm not sure when WSUC maverick UW-Whitewater moved from NAIA to NCAA D3, but the Warhawks were playing in D3 basketball tourneys in the early eighties.

"The Roop"

I didn't realize Whitewater ever had any NAIA involvement, although I wouldn't hold it against them if they did as it was a long time ago LOL. I thought they went straight from D2 to D3 in 1981. I've been there a few times and I know they have a Wall of Honor in the gym showcasing all their D2 All-Americans. Trust me, you can't miss it. Were they dual affiliated prior to their D3 days perhaps ??

UW-Milwaukee dropped from D1 to D3 in 79 or 80 I believe and they made a tournament appearance in 82. I'm thinking they were the first UW-Somebody to play in the D3 tournament.

"The Roop"

Oh yea, before I forget.............. I think the WIAC is a D2 Conference already. Since they've had representation in the tournament they have won it better than half the time. That doesn't sound very much like the "Spirit of D3" to me.

advoice

Roop,

I believe the D2 that Whitewater showcases is NAIA D2. The entire WSUC was at one time NAIA D2 which was non athletic scholarship at the time(supposedly). The only Wisconsin schools ever to be affiliated with NCAA D2 are UW Green Bay, UW Milwaukee and current D2 member UW-Parkside.  

UW-Parkside does give out 10 scholarships for basketball as does the entire Great Lakes Valley Conference (Lewis, Quincy, SIU Edwardsville).

advoice

Has anyone heard any results of the NCAA reform on D3 student athlete aid?  

For those unaware, a study on each campus is suppose to be done comparing the financial aid packages of student-athletes with those of the student body in general. This process is suppose to catch the "leadership" scholarship offered to all members of the basketball team and not to the members of the band.

The results are suppose to be sent to the NCAA for processing but I have not heard of any results?

Same as Above

If this so called study holds up, I believe the results would be quite interesting.  There will most likely be a substantial difference between the two.  That's my guess, anyway.

"The Roop"

advoice,

NAIA didn't have a second division until 1992. Which means the Whitewater D2 All-Americans "Wall of Honor" I saw several times in the 1980s had to be NCAA. The WSUC was re-organized into the WIAC in 1997. It was basically only a name change but it added womens competition from the WWIAC. Prior to that the WSUC was a mixed bag of D2, D3 and NAIA.

http://www.uwsa.edu/wiac/history.htm" target=_top>www.uwsa.edu/wiac/history.htm

http://www.naia.org/basketball/mdii/championship/history/tournament.html" target=_top>www.naia.org/basketball/mdii/championship/history/tournament.html

Gregory Sager

Nice catch, Roop. The first University of Wisconsin school to appear in the D3 tourney was indeed UW-Milwaukee, which lost to Augustana in the first round in '82 and beat Beloit in the regional consolation game. UW-Whitewater made its initial appearance in the D3 dance the following season, finishing fourth in the nation in the '83 tournament.

"The Roop"

SaA,  

There will be violations no doubt, but I think what is more likely to be revealed is that not enough money is going to athletes at certain schools. Then the question becomes "What is the NCAA going to do about those cases?"

Hmmmmmmmmm, your athletes are under funded. Automatic bid for the next two years, or until you are compliant.

I'm not real crazy about this new rule because it doesn't really prove anything. At the same time I'm not against it either. It just  seems to me that it must be an extremely flagrant violation for any penalties to be involved.

"The Roop"

Thanks Greg. I was at that Augustana regional in 1982. Unfortunately Loras spanked Beloit in the late game and I listened to Beloit vs. UW-M on the radio at home the next day. Very questionable time out call by the officials in that consolation game which gave UW-M the win. It was known as the D3 State Championship game in local circles.

Pat Coleman

"Since they've had representation in the tournament they have won it better than half the time. That doesn't sound very much like the "Spirit of D3" to me."

I don't remember anything in the D-III philosophy that says it's not OK to win. We're still keeping score, right?

Dan Sand

Roop and Greg,

I was at the 1982 regional too. Actually, Luther, not Loras, was the fourth team. One of the last great Augie teams. Those seniors ( Shane Price, Craig Brittnum, Maxwell Artis, Bill Schneider) had the misfortune of having to deal with the great North Park teams their first two years. Then, as juniors, they lost the national championship in overtime when Potsdam's Leroy Witherspoon tied the game with a 40-foot heave at the regulation buzzer. Then in 1982, Brittnum broke his knee cap in the preseason and never got back to 100%. After beating Luther 76-57 in the regional, they lost to Wabash 54-51 in the national quarter-final. Wabash was led by center Pete Metzelaars, who went on to play many years as a tight end in the NFL. Thanks for letting me reminisce.

Same as Above

King D,

North Central's team looks solid, I'd be suprised if they sputtered at the end for the third year in a row.  No Wilson will probably be a blessing, and Simmons looks primed for a great season.  He is stronger and appears to have matured his game and his head.  Tiesing and Vicario even look like they might actually be dangerous, especially off the dribble.

Carthage definitely has talent in newcomer (Casanova Brown, Mt. Carmel), he's probably the quickest guy in the league next to Thompson, who happens to be his teammate.  Bowens looks off, but maybe that's just a carry over from the classroom.  Schlemm is a loose cannon, and will obviously bring different games every night (who knows which one, he probably doesn't even know).  They will miss Kalamatas dearly this season.

Elmhurst looks solid at times, but inconsistent.  Abdul-Haqq is rusty from sitting out last year with an injury, but he looks decent.  Gershenzon is no fluke as a scoring machine, as I see no change this season.  Michael finished strong last season and looks ready to take a bigger role without Martin around.  Their point guards aren't too good, they better have some immediate help there or they'll have no chance at equalling last season.