IWU 91
Carthage 81

https://athletics.carthage.edu/sidearmstats/mbball/summary

* Cory Noe (So.): 23 pts, 4 reb, 2 assists
* Keondre Schumacher (So.): 21 pts, 2 reb
* Matt Leritz (So.): 18 pts, 7 reb, 3 assists
* Pete Lambesis (So.): 11 pts, 6 reb, 6 asssists
* Cody Mitchell (Fr.): 10 reb

Really impressive effort by the Titans tonight.  After they got down double digits in the 1st half I thought they really played hard and smart.

All things considered this season, I will take that 11-5/3 seed.
Really a team effort.  No real mistakes, took care of the ball, huge 16-16 FTs 2nd half, big contributions from the bench entire game. Carthage looked gassed in 2nd half.

Gregory Sager

Thanks, Larry.

Incidentally, since nobody's mentioned it yet, North Central beat Wheaton at King, 78-71.

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwumichigander

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 22, 2020, 10:23:30 PM
Thanks, Larry.

Incidentally, since nobody's mentioned it yet, North Central beat Wheaton at King, 78-71.
In a P.S. - it was mentioned that Bosco will have surgery after the season - hip, if I heard correctly.  I think all of us have watched Bosch hobble this season.

So Coach B - wishes for a successful surgery!!  (Yes you and Stevie lurk 😁)

Viking Mike

I see that the Women's conf tourney bracket is set but they DO have #1 playing winner of 4/5 and #2 playing winner 3/6.  I thought #1 played the lowest remaining seed.  Was this changed recently?  Many other conferences, including the WIAC, follow this re-seeding structure.

Viking Mike

Augie wins 96-73 to finish 18-7 (12-4)

I thought at the beginning of the year that 12-4 might win the title, but give NC credit, they really are having a great year!

Looking forward to CCIW Tourney.  It appears Augie will need to win the conference title to get in the NCAA tourney. 

When are they going to re-align these regionals and split the WIAC and CCIW up?  A lot of good teams in these power conferences are going to be sitting home after next week!!!

Viking Mike

OK.... and as I'm typing the above, I see the CCIW conference site is now saying #1 plays lowest remaining seed, and #2 plays highest remaining seed.....
          for both men and women.

This makes it more intriguing, I think.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: iwumichigander on February 22, 2020, 10:28:48 PM
Thanks, Larry.

In a P.S. - it was mentioned that Bosco will have surgery after the season - hip, if I heard correctly.  I think all of us have watched Bosch hobble this season.

That's the worst-kept secret in the league. I suspect that there may be a CCIW head coach or two who doesn't lurk here, but Bosko's not one of them.

But, yes, best wishes for the Serbian Prince as he deals with off-season surgery. Somehow I doubt that hip surgery will keep Bosko off of the golf course.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwumichigander

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 22, 2020, 10:48:23 PM
Quote from: iwumichigander on February 22, 2020, 10:28:48 PM
Thanks, Larry.

That's the worst-kept secret in the league. I suspect that there may be a CCIW head coach or two who doesn't lurk here, but Bosko's not one of them.

But, yes, best wishes for the Serbian Prince as he deals with off-season surgery. Somehow I doubt that hip surgery will keep Bosko off of the golf course.
Bosko will probably insist his PT be done on the course.  My PT group actually has a set of clubs for hip/knee rehab folks that are golfers to work on their swing.

Titan Q

Here is my All-CCIW team..

1st
Nyameye Adom (Wheaton), 6-1 So. G
Matt Cappelletti (North Central), 6-5 Sr. F
Derek Dotlich (Elmhurst), 6-3 Sr. F
Matt Leritz (Illinois Wesleyan), 6-7 So. F
Micah Martin (Augustana), 6-11 Sr. C
Connor Raridon (North Central), 6-6 Sr. F
Jake Rhode (Elmhurst), 5-11 Jr. G
Pierson Wofford (Augustana), 6-3 Sr. F

2nd
Kienan Baltimore (Carthage), 6-5 Sr. F
Tyson Cruickshank (Wheaton), 5-11 So. G
Austin Elledge (Augustana), 6-0 Sr. G
Jordon Kedrowski (Carthage), 6-4 Sr. G
Pete Lambesis (Illinois Wesleyan), 6-4 So. G
Toby Marek (North Park), 6-1 Jr. G
Blaise Meredith (North Central), 6-4 Jr. G
Nick Penny (Carroll), 6-2 Sr. G

Fred Young Most Outstanding Player: Connor Raridon (North Central)

Coach of the Year: Todd Raridon (North Central)

Freshman of the Year: Luke Yoder (Illinois Wesleyan)

GoPerry

NCC 78  Wheaton 71

Wheaton scored the first 8 pts of the contest and then the Cardinals proceeded to go on a 29-6 run to take control.  The Thunder did an admirable job slowly grinding their way back to trail by only 7 at halftime and got within 2 pts with 16 mins left.  From there it was pretty tight until NCC began to pull away with about 9 mins left in the game and pretty much led by 5-8 pts the rest of the way.  Cade Alioth had a big game with 15 pts, 16 rebs.  Luke Anthony also had 15 pts while Nyameye Adom and Tyson Cruickshank had 14 each.  The Thunder also got a huge contribution off the bench from freshman Andrew Williams with 13 pts, 4 rebs, solid defense and multiple hustle plays.  He is a better option than Collin Uveges at this point since Uveges is not a threat to score and both play equally good defense.

For NCC, Cappelletti with 18 pts, 9 rebs.  Blaise Meredith also with 18 pts including a trey with 7 minutes left that was clearly a shot clock violation that the entire crowd got but the refs just flat missed.  Schauer ended up getting a technical foul protesting it.  North Central is the better team but Wheaton had their chances too.

Titan Q

Preseason Poll
1 North Central
2 Augustana
3 Illinois Wesleyan
4 Carthage
5 Elmhurst
6 Wheaton
T7 Carroll
T7 Millikin
9 North Park

Final Standings
1 North Central 14-2
2 Augustana 12-4
T3 Illinois Wesleyan 11-5
T3 Elmhurst 11-5
5 Wheaton 9-7
6 Carthage 7-9
7 Carroll 5-11
8 NPU 2-14
9 Millikin 1-15

petemcb

Quote from: GoPerry on February 22, 2020, 11:36:04 PM
NCC 78  Wheaton 71

Wheaton scored the first 8 pts of the contest and then the Cardinals proceeded to go on a 29-6 run to take control.  The Thunder did an admirable job slowly grinding their way back to trail by only 7 at halftime and got within 2 pts with 16 mins left.  From there it was pretty tight until NCC began to pull away with about 9 mins left in the game and pretty much led by 5-8 pts the rest of the way.  Cade Alioth had a big game with 15 pts, 16 rebs.  Luke Anthony also had 15 pts while Nyameye Adom and Tyson Cruickshank had 14 each.  The Thunder also got a huge contribution off the bench from freshman Andrew Williams with 13 pts, 4 rebs, solid defense and multiple hustle plays.  He is a better option than Collin Uveges at this point since Uveges is not a threat to score and both play equally good defense.

For NCC, Cappelletti with 18 pts, 9 rebs.  Blaise Meredith also with 18 pts including a trey with 7 minutes left that was clearly a shot clock violation that the entire crowd got but the refs just flat missed.  Schauer ended up getting a technical foul protesting it.  North Central is the better team but Wheaton had their chances too.

Are you sure that T wasn't on Panner?  He moved back to the bench like a scolded puppy after the call and was the one doing the most vociferous complaining at that point.

iwu70

Regular season in the books.  Congrats to NCC on winning the championship.  I was right on that one.

Q, intriguing list.  Sort of hard to know what to do about Titans on the All-conference team with so many key injuries.  I think Wolfe and Yoder would have made it.  Can't see Leritz as first team, over Baltimore.  Somehow think Schumacher deserves a spot.  If the award was "newcomer" instead of "freshman" of the year, he'd be up there for it.  Actually, I think Bair deserves consideration, even missing this last game.  Overall, he made greater contributions to IWU's successful season than Leritz.  Yes, Leritz playing very well these past 7-8 games. 

Just my thoughts.  Titans have a great future with all the talent coming back.  (Senior O'Neill made a nice contribution tonight vs. Carthage). 

On to the tournament.  Let's hope our TITANS really peak further this next week.  EC struggled down the stretch, but still likely in the D3 dance, right?  AQ plus Elmhurst?   Or AQ plus NCC and EC?   Dreaming . . .

IWU'70

Titan Q

Quote from: iwu70 on February 23, 2020, 01:25:17 AM
Q, intriguing list.  Sort of hard to know what to do about Titans on the All-conference team with so many key injuries.  I think Wolfe and Yoder would have made it.  Can't see Leritz as first team, over Baltimore.  Somehow think Schumacher deserves a spot.  If the award was "newcomer" instead of "freshman" of the year, he'd be up there for it.  Actually, I think Bair deserves consideration, even missing this last game.  Overall, he made greater contributions to IWU's successful season than Leritz.  Yes, Leritz playing very well these past 7-8 games.

Just one guy's take on the All-CCIW team.  If 100 CCIW fans made a team, there would be 100 different combinations.

Matt Leritz has emerged as IWU's best player, and as one of the best low post players in the CCIW.  He was tremendous in the second half+ of the season once healthy and inserted into the rotation.  Final 9 games: 17.6 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 64-119 (.538).  I think he is a 1st teamer. 

After Matt, it's hard to pick who IWU's second guy should be because the Titans are so balanced.
* Doug Wallen: 10.9 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.6 apg
* Keondre Schumacher: 10.6 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 1.7 apg
* Pete Lambesis: 10.5 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.5 apg
* Charlie Bair: 8.9 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 1.3 apg
* Cory Noe: 8.8 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 1.6 apg

I believe Lambesis is the guy here.  He is a great defender who guards the other team's best perimeter player every night out; he is a good scorer, rebounder, and passer; he was forced to shift from the 3 to the 1 at the end of the year and has done so very well; and in several CCIW games he made big plays down the stretch to help win games.

Obviously I excluded Grant Wolfe (1 CCIW game played).  I also also excluded Luke Yoder since he missed IWU's final 4 games.  But I do think, even having missed those game, Yoder deserves to be the freshman of the year.  I think he stood out pretty clearly vs the other top freshmen in the league.

As a Titan fan, the exciting thing is that every player mentioned above returns next season.