MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: GoPerry on February 22, 2020, 11:36:04 PMLuke Anthony also had 15 pts while Nyameye Adom and Tyson Cruickshank had 14 each.

... but Adom shot 6-19 from the field. Yikes!
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

With Benedictine losing again, we're in the same spot we were last week -- waiting to see what the Central RAC does with BU.

Central           
1   UW-Platteville   18-3   20-3
2   Washington U.   18-4   18-4
3   Benedictine   19-4   19-4
4   North Central (Ill.)   19-4   19-4
5   Elmhurst   19-5   19-5
6   St. Norbert   20-3   20-3
7   UW-Oshkosh   15-8   15-8
8   UW-La Crosse   18-5   18-5

I believe through 2 regional rankings, BU's win over NCC has, appropriately, been an anchor keeping the Eagles ranked ahead of NCC. But the loss to Concordia (WI) could be the point the Central weighs other criteria more than that head-to-head result.

I can see BU dropping to 8th in the next ranking.  The team knocking on the door of that #8 spot has a big problem vs BU -- Augustana was swept by NCC, and BU won at NCC.  I think that common opponent situation is a real killer for Augie.

Titan Q

The order of the Central Pool C candidates is really key.  Here is the simulation I did last week - http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4232.msg1978643#msg1978643.

Wash U should get selected early, but then after that the rest of the region's Pool C candidates have kind of so-so resumes.  Usually the region has a 2nd Pool candidate with a great resume -- but due to all of the carnage in the WIAC and CCIW, that is not the case this year.

I'm confident the second Central Pool C candidate (whoever that is) will get in -- I had Elmhurst getting in at #12.  After that, it gets really dicey.  I think whoever the 3rd Pool C is (Oshkosh at this point) is right on the bubble.  I had Oshkosh in at #16...and typically you assume anyone lower than 15 is going to get bumped by Pool A upsets.

The order of the teams after Wash U is so key.

GoPerry

Quote from: petemcb on February 22, 2020, 11:49:08 PM
Quote from: GoPerry on February 22, 2020, 11:36:04 PM
NCC 78  Wheaton 71

Wheaton scored the first 8 pts of the contest and then the Cardinals proceeded to go on a 29-6 run to take control.  The Thunder did an admirable job slowly grinding their way back to trail by only 7 at halftime and got within 2 pts with 16 mins left.  From there it was pretty tight until NCC began to pull away with about 9 mins left in the game and pretty much led by 5-8 pts the rest of the way.  Cade Alioth had a big game with 15 pts, 16 rebs.  Luke Anthony also had 15 pts while Nyameye Adom and Tyson Cruickshank had 14 each.  The Thunder also got a huge contribution off the bench from freshman Andrew Williams with 13 pts, 4 rebs, solid defense and multiple hustle plays.  He is a better option than Collin Uveges at this point since Uveges is not a threat to score and both play equally good defense.

For NCC, Cappelletti with 18 pts, 9 rebs.  Blaise Meredith also with 18 pts including a trey with 7 minutes left that was clearly a shot clock violation that the entire crowd got but the refs just flat missed.  Schauer ended up getting a technical foul protesting it.  North Central is the better team but Wheaton had their chances too.

Are you sure that T wasn't on Panner?  He moved back to the bench like a scolded puppy after the call and was the one doing the most vociferous complaining at that point.

It might have been.  Not sure.  Schauer was complaining to a ref on the baseline but the official near the free throw line whistled the T and I thought I saw him point at Schauer.

It's too bad because it was clearly a shot clock violation and everybody in the gym, Meredith and the NCC bench included, knew it except the 3 most important observers.  It came at a critical time when Wheaton needed a stop which they got -but didn't.  After the Williams three and technical they were down 9 instead of 5 with 6:30 left.

Titan Q

Quote from: Titan Q on February 23, 2020, 09:13:00 AM
The order of the Central Pool C candidates is really key.  Here is the simulation I did last week - http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4232.msg1978643#msg1978643.

Wash U should get selected early, but then after that the rest of the region's Pool C candidates have kind of so-so resumes.  Usually the region has a 2nd Pool candidate with a great resume -- but due to all of the carnage in the WIAC and CCIW, that is not the case this year.

I'm confident the second Central Pool C candidate (whoever that is) will get in -- I had Elmhurst getting in at #12.  After that, it gets really dicey.  I think whoever the 3rd Pool C is (Oshkosh at this point) is right on the bubble.  I had Oshkosh in at #16...and typically you assume anyone lower than 15 is going to get bumped by Pool A upsets.

The order of the teams after Wash U is so key.

Wash U assumed sole possession of first in the UAA today (Emory lost).  If Wash U wins at Chicago Saturday, the Bears will be the UAA's Pool A team.

This would get the top CCIW/WIAC Pool C contender to the table in round 1 of the process.  At the present time, that would be Elmhurst.  I think getting that team to the table as early as possible helps...you want to get them in, then get the next team from the Central at the table for consideration.

iwu70

Thanks, Q, I appreciate your "take" and the info about the various IWU prospects for All-CCIW.  I share your optimism about the future, given all these guys coming back, hopefully healthy and active, for next year. 

We'll see the All-CCIW teams very soon.

All best from Hong Kong, a deeply troubled and worried city.

'70

Gregory Sager

Congratulations to Nick Penny of Carroll. Though he fell short in his attempt to become the first player to lead the CCIW in trey percentage for all four years of his career -- he finished sixth this season -- he nevertheless will (as far as I can tell) retain his title as the CCIW's all-time leader in career trey percentage at .502 (114-227).
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Pierson Wofford of Augustana won the FG percentage title with a .543 mark this season; he and Matt Cappelletti of North Central were the only two qualifying players in the league who at least broke even in their FG attempts, and Cappelletti (.500) barely made it. Wofford's .543 is the lowest FG percentage recorded by the league champion in that category since Tom Gramkow of Illinois Wesleyan bucketed his field-goal attempts at a .537 clip all the way back in 1967-68, and Wofford is the first champion to fall short of the .600 mark from the field since Landon Gamble of North Central's .587 back in 2010-11.

But there's a story behind this. The FG% champion is almost always a center or power forward who rarely or never strays far from the basket, which is practically self-explanatory and which also explains why this is a statistical category that has only limited value in assessing players. Now, while Wofford is his team's power forward, he has evolved into a stretch-four type of power forward; his 81 three-pointer attempts in 2019-20 have more than doubled his career trey attempts. And he's very typical of the players who are on the CCIW's FG% leaderboard; of the nine players listed on the leaderboard (Wofford, Cappelletti, Nyameye Adom of Wheaton, Toby Marek of North Park, Jordon Kedrowski of Carthage, Jake Rhode of Elmhurst, Kienan Baltimore of Carthage, Zach Fisher of Millikin, and Derek Dotlich of Elmhurst with a waaaay-low-for-this-category .415), every one of them takes a fairly high number of shots that are nowhere near the basket. Of these nine players, Adom attempted the lowest percentage of treys out of all of his field-goal attempts, but, nevertheless, 19% of his field-goal attempts were from beyond the arc. The rest of the nine had, in some cases, much higher treys-per-total-FGA than that.

And it stands to reason, as the category is not dominated at all by the classic big men who typically rule the paint in the CCIW. The only bigs among the nine are Wofford and Cappelletti, neither of whom has the sort of height that wows anybody. Wofford's listed at 6'3, and Cappelletti's listed 6'5 is undoubtedly an exaggeration. Among the nine are five guards (Adom, Marek, Kedrowski, Rhode, and Fisher) and two small forwards (Baltimore and Dotlich).

I wouldn't read too much into it, given that big men who never stray from the basket and who rack up .600-pluses as a matter of course have ruled right up until this season. Sean Johnson of Carthage won it with .673 last year.

The other thing that needs considering is whether the CCIW's rules for the category have changed, or if there is some sort of error in the statistical program that Mike Krizman is using at CCIW headquarters. The old CCIW rules stated that the category was limited to players who had a minimum of three made FGs per game in CCIW play. But if that rule is still in effect, then the top two players in that category this season should be the two players whom you'd expect to be at the top in CCIW FG percentage: Brad Perry of Carthage, who shot .676 in league play; and his sidekick Johnson, who shot .557 in league play. Both made well above three field goals per game in CCIW play; in fact, Perry averaged more than four.

Rule change or glitch?

Smitty Oom

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 24, 2020, 12:52:49 PM
Congratulations to Nick Penny of Carroll. Though he fell short in his attempt to become the first player to lead the CCIW in trey percentage for all four years of his career -- he finished sixth this season -- he nevertheless will (as far as I can tell) retain his title as the CCIW's all-time leader in career trey percentage at .502 (114-227).

Wow. This is pretty impressive. Congrats to him indeed!

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 24, 2020, 01:39:57 PM
Rule change or glitch?

MIAC uses the same 3fg per game and also has 60% of teams conf games, so assuming Johnson and Perry hit that mark, seems like a glitch to me. More than 3fg made per game excludes a lot of players from qualifying!

Titan Q

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 24, 2020, 01:39:57 PM
Pierson Wofford of Augustana won the FG percentage title with a .543 mark this season; he and Matt Cappelletti of North Central were the only two qualifying players in the league who at least broke even in their FG attempts, and Cappelletti (.500) barely made it. Wofford's .543 is the lowest FG percentage recorded by the league champion in that category since Tom Gramkow of Illinois Wesleyan bucketed his field-goal attempts at a .537 clip all the way back in 1967-68, and Wofford is the first champion to fall short of the .600 mark from the field since Landon Gamble of North Central's .587 back in 2010-11.

But there's a story behind this. The FG% champion is almost always a center or power forward who rarely or never strays far from the basket, which is practically self-explanatory and which also explains why this is a statistical category that has only limited value in assessing players. Now, while Wofford is his team's power forward, he has evolved into a stretch-four type of power forward; his 81 three-pointer attempts in 2019-20 have more than doubled his career trey attempts. And he's very typical of the players who are on the CCIW's FG% leaderboard; of the nine players listed on the leaderboard (Wofford, Cappelletti, Nyameye Adom of Wheaton, Toby Marek of North Park, Jordon Kedrowski of Carthage, Jake Rhode of Elmhurst, Kienan Baltimore of Carthage, Zach Fisher of Millikin, and Derek Dotlich of Elmhurst with a waaaay-low-for-this-category .415), every one of them takes a fairly high number of shots that are nowhere near the basket. Of these nine players, Adom attempted the lowest percentage of treys out of all of his field-goal attempts, but, nevertheless, 19% of his field-goal attempts were from beyond the arc. The rest of the nine had, in some cases, much higher treys-per-total-FGA than that.

And it stands to reason, as the category is not dominated at all by the classic big men who typically rule the paint in the CCIW. The only bigs among the nine are Wofford and Cappelletti, neither of whom has the sort of height that wows anybody. Wofford's listed at 6'3, and Cappelletti's listed 6'5 is undoubtedly an exaggeration. Among the nine are five guards (Adom, Marek, Kedrowski, Rhode, and Fisher) and two small forwards (Baltimore and Dotlich).

I wouldn't read too much into it, given that big men who never stray from the basket and who rack up .600-pluses as a matter of course have ruled right up until this season. Sean Johnson of Carthage won it with .673 last year.

The other thing that needs considering is whether the CCIW's rules for the category have changed, or if there is some sort of error in the statistical program that Mike Krizman is using at CCIW headquarters. The old CCIW rules stated that the category was limited to players who had a minimum of three made FGs per game in CCIW play. But if that rule is still in effect, then the top two players in that category this season should be the two players whom you'd expect to be at the top in CCIW FG percentage: Brad Perry of Carthage, who shot .676 in league play; and his sidekick Johnson, who shot .557 in league play. Both made well above three field goals per game in CCIW play; in fact, Perry averaged more than four.

Rule change or glitch?

Matt Leritz was 77-131 (.589) in 16 CCIW games.  That was 4.8 makes per game.

79jaybird

I actually think matching up vs. Wheaton is a better fit for Elmhurst than Carthage.  At 20-5 a win over the Thunder would make them 21-5 and worse case scenario,  the Jays would be 21-6.  Pretty solid resume to get a Pool C. 
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

Titan Q

Illinois Wesleyan (17-8, 11-5) vs Carthage (15-10, 7-9), Tuesday 2/25, 7:00pm...

Illinois Wesleyan (17-8, 11-5)
G - Pete Lambesis, 6-4/195 So.  11.7 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 2.3 apg
G - Keondre Schumacher, 5-11/175 So.  12.8 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 1.9 apg
G - Cory Noe, 6-2/175 So.  7.8 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.6 apg
F - Doug Wallen, 6-5/210 Jr.  11.0 ppg, 5.6 rpg
F - Matt Leritz, 6-7/235 So.   10.2 ppg, 5.1 rpg

Carthage (15-10, 7-9)
G - Jordon Kedrowski, 6-4/190 Sr.  15.9 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 3.1 apg
G - Adam Radcliffe  3.1 ppg, 0.0 rpg, 0.9 apg
F - Kienan Baltimore, 6-5/200 Sr.  15.4 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 3.9 apg
F - Sean Johnson, 6-11/220 Jr.  11.0 ppg, 8.5 rpg
C - Brad Perry, 6-11/280 Sr.  9.6 ppg, 6.1 rpg

Links
IWU Notes - https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/iwusports.com/documents/2020/2/24/Game26_CCIWquarterfinals_Carthage.pdf

Pantagraph - https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-wesleyan/ailing-but-evolving-illinois-wesleyan-men-s-basketball-team-to/article_cddae560-37f5-5103-b090-dd5041d643c7.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_Pantagraph

Video - https://portal.stretchinternet.com/iwu/

WEXG Radio - https://radio.securenetsystems.net/v5/index.cfm?stationCallSign=WWHP

Live stats - https://www.iwusports.com/sidearmstats/mbball/summary

Mr. Ypsi

New poll is up.  NCC broke into the top 10, rising from 11 to 9.  Elmhurst inched up from 23 to 22; Augie rose from 18 pts. to 21 pts.  Still no one else receiving any votes.

Ultimate Titan Fan

Snow storm predicted for Tuesday night in central Illinois. I'll have to watch the Titan game on the internet.

AndOne

Quote from: Titan Q on February 22, 2020, 11:14:15 PM
Here is my All-CCIW team..

1st
Nyameye Adom (Wheaton), 6-1 So. G
Matt Cappelletti (North Central), 6-5 Sr. F
Derek Dotlich (Elmhurst), 6-3 Sr. F
Matt Leritz (Illinois Wesleyan), 6-7 So. F
Micah Martin (Augustana), 6-11 Sr. C
Connor Raridon (North Central), 6-6 Sr. F
Jake Rhode (Elmhurst), 5-11 Jr. G
Pierson Wofford (Augustana), 6-3 Sr. F

2nd
Kienan Baltimore (Carthage), 6-5 Sr. F
Tyson Cruickshank (Wheaton), 5-11 So. G
Austin Elledge (Augustana), 6-0 Sr. G
Jordon Kedrowski (Carthage), 6-4 Sr. G
Pete Lambesis (Illinois Wesleyan), 6-4 So. G
Toby Marek (North Park), 6-1 Jr. G
Blaise Meredith (North Central), 6-4 Jr. G
Nick Penny (Carroll), 6-2 Sr. G

Fred Young Most Outstanding Player: Connor Raridon (North Central)

Coach of the Year: Todd Raridon (North Central)

Freshman of the Year: Luke Yoder (Illinois Wesleyan)

Isn't Lambesis a more complete player than Leritz? I think that in addition to his offensive skills, we've heard about his guarding the opposition's primary backcourt/wing player. It seems that the possibility exists that they be flipped as far as 1st and second teams.

To what extent does the voting still follow the fairly often seen, rather traditional "allotment" of 3 players from the first and second place teams and 2 from each from the third and fourth teams?
I ask because it seems the most obvious exclusion from the above list is Elmhurst's Lavon Thomas.
Thomas appears in the upper regions of more statistical categories that Augie's Elledge who is a top flight shooter, but whose contributions are limited beyond his shooting capabilities. Thomas is certainly more of two way player when you factor in his contributions on the defensive end. And, despite Mr. Elledge being known for his shooting/scoring, Mr. Thomas actually outscored him by a point in the conference portion of the season.

Lastly, if the voting is done purely on the basis of basketball skills, Kienan Baltimore clearly merits inclusion on the first team. However, as has been alluded to in previous entries, I believe by more than one poster, there might be some reluctance by certain voters to exclude him from a first team ballot or two.

We'll learn the voters thoughts/preferences soon as the lists of the first and second team All-Conference players is scheduled to be released at 1:00 today.