Saint John's--  5-9    .357   1 championship, 1 runner-up
Sr. Olaf---      1-4     .200   

Not in this year's event:
Carleton---    7-10   .412   1 championship, 1 runner-up
Macalester---  2 -3   .400   1 runner-up
Hamline---     2-4     .333
Concordia---  2- 6   .250
SMU               0-0
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

tommiegun

If the Johnnies show their faces in the Shoe2 again, it'll be like a 2007 conference championship rewind.

Retired Old Rat

That 2007 UST team was much better than this version.

The 2014 SJU team is better than the 2007 version.

IF we can make it back to Summit and Cretin, I like our chances.

National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

Drake Palmer

Quote from: Retired Old Rat on February 25, 2014, 11:58:33 AM

Agreed about the team comparisons & possible SJU upset.

I still loved those SJU "Nebraska" twin brothers.   The one Schaefer brother had the Nebraska logo tatted on his arm.  Weren't they from Anoka? Ridiculous   ::) ;) In a way, they reminded me of the brothers from a little gem of a movie "Nebraska" which was released late this fall and starred Bruce Dern.

"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

Drake Palmer

Palmer All Conference MIAC Teams

1st Team
Erik Tengwall (6-1 SR, PG), St. Thomas 10.2ppg, 3.1 rpg, 3.4 apg
Andy Seidlitz (6-2 SR, SG), Augsburg 18.4ppg, 3.6 rpg
Connor Gunderson (6-6 SR, W), St. Olaf 14.2ppg, 5.6 rpg
Zach Riedeman (6-4 SR, F), St. Thomas 12.6ppg, 4.0 rpg
Dan Kornbaum (6-9 SR, C), Augsburg 19.1 ppg, 7.9 rpg

2nd Team
Sterling Nielsen (6-1 JR, PG), St. Olaf 10.8 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 3.9 apg
Dior Ford (6-5 JR, W), Hamline 17.4 ppg, 4.1 rpg
Seth Marx (6-5 SR, W), St. John's 11.6ppg, 4.9 rpg
Jordan Bolger (6-6, SO), Concordia 12.2 ppg, 6.4 rpg
Taylor Hanson (6-5, SR) Carleton 15.5 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 3.8apg

3rd Team
Brycen Wojta (6-0 FY, PG), Bethel 14.8ppg, 2.9rpg, 3.2 apg
Dylan Kilgour (6-1 SO, SG), Macalester 12.2 ppg,
Jordan Dick (6-5 SR, W) Gustavus 11.1 ppg, 3.0 rpg
Noah Veach (6-3 SR, F) Augsburg 13.7 ppg, 4.3 rpg
Connor Nord (6-7 JR, P) St. Thomas 11.3 ppg, 7.0rpg
Patrick Butcher ( 6-0, SG) St. Johns 9.8 ppg, 42.5% 3FGA

All Defensive Team
Eric Tengwall – UST
Zach Riedeman – UST
Dan Kornbaum – Augsburg
Martin Feddersen – Gustavus
Connor Gunderson – St. Olaf
Brycen Wojta - Bethel

All Freshman Team
Brycen Wojta – Bethel
Grant Shaffer – UST
Jackson Canfield – Bethel
Wylie Ferron – SMU
Peter Kruize – Gustavus

POY award I'll leave to others to hash out.  It sort of reminds of the year when we had the Luke Linz vs. Tommy Conboy POY/MVP debate.  Do you select the player who put up the best individual numbers, or the player who was the most valuable to his team's success.

I like Carleton's Taylor Hanson alot, but I don't know if he's worthy of an MVP selection since his team didn't make the playoffs. Score, board, pass the ball, defend, you name it, Hanson did it all.

On the other hand, Augsburg's Dan Kornbaum put up great numbers, but he had a lot more more help than Hanson did.  Also, I would say in the first half of the year Augsburg's MVP was Noah Veach, & in the last half of the season, Andy Seidlitz was unconscious.  But the Dawgs weren't really playing lights out defense.

Oles' Connor Gunderson, UST's Zach Riedeman?

"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

Retired Old Rat

Quote from: Drake Palmer on February 25, 2014, 12:25:09 PM
Quote from: Retired Old Rat on February 25, 2014, 11:58:33 AM

Agreed about the team comparisons & possible SJU upset.

I still loved those SJU "Nebraska" twin brothers.   The one Schaefer brother had the Nebraska logo tatted on his arm.  Weren't they from Anoka? Ridiculous   ::) ;) In a way, they reminded me of the brothers from a little gem of a movie "Nebraska" which was released late this fall and starred Bruce Dern.

Very nice reference to the Nebraska twins.  Yes indeed, they were Tornadoes.  Fight Fight Anoka Fight!

SUMMIT!!!!!

MIAC PLAYOFF HISTORY—the Quarterfinals   

The quarterfinal round was instituted in 2001 when the playoff field was expanded from 4 to 6 teams. It pits the #3 seed vs. the #6 and the #4 seed vs. the #5. There have been many thrilling games, with wild finishes, buzzer beaters and late rallies being the norm.  In the 13 seasons of the 6-team field, here is how all teams have fared in the quarterfinals (tonight's contestants in bold):

Gustavus    4-0     1.000
Bethel         7-3       .700

Hamline      2-1       .667
Augsburg    3-2       .600
Macalester  1-1     .500
Carleton   4-5        .444
Concordia   2-3      .400
SJU             2-6        .333
St. Olaf     1-3         .250
St. Thomas   0-2     .000
SMU        no appearances

Can GAC remain unblemished in quarterfinal action? Will Bethel add to its record number of quarterfinal wins? Will Augsburg add another Si Melby thriller to the W column? Can SJU buck its history?

My predictions are GAC by 5 and Auggie by 8, but both games will come down to the final minutes, and free throws will determine both games.

Italian proverb

AO

The UMAC has decided to postpone the semifinals until tomorrow.  Hopefully the road to and from Collegeville is a little better than the roads to Morris or Duluth.

Retired Old Rat

Quote from: Retired Old Rat on February 19, 2014, 02:24:43 PM
Johnnies win out, finish 3rd.

I plan on gracing St. Thomas with my red presence on Saturday.

Well, I was right about the winning out prediction.  SMU failed to live up their end of things.

I forecast an 11 point win by the J's tonight.  Gusties will be so freaked from the winds buffeting that big ol bus they won't recover until it's too late.

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: miacmaniac on February 24, 2014, 08:09:36 PM

Nope, not "desperately hoping" to avoid a rematch with SJU. Bring it on!  however, I've followed the MIAC reasonably closely over the past coupla years, and have noted a pattern--- SJU can get up for UST but that rarely carries over into the next game (wins over SMU or Mac excluded). Also, looking at Playoff historical performance (see my next post) and you have solid evidence supporting my belief that GAC will prevail Wednesday.

Oh and Drake? Should you be correct and UST wins 2 games in the NCAA--- that puts them into the Sweet 16.  I'm tasting that chicken now  :)

was I right or was I right? I seem to recall reading---->

Quote from: miacmaniac on February 26, 2014, 11:21:11 AM

My predictions are GAC by 5 and Auggie by 8, but both games will come down to the final minutes, and free throws will determine both games.

BU @ UST, GAC @ Olaf....should be a fun-filled Friday night

Italian proverb

AO

I'm not convinced the Johnnies were still celebrating their Tommie sweep.  They were previously beaten by the Gusties in Collegeville by 24.  When you beat the Tommies in St. Paul, your expectation should be to win the tournament.  Maybe the Johnnie students were the ones feeling overly confident.  They didn't manage to get 700 in the gym last night, but I suppose the weather can be blamed.

All MIAC fans are welcome to watch some bonus basketball tonight at 7:30 in Roseville.  Scholastica worked hard last weekend to earn the final spot in the tournament and are being rewarded with another trip down to the cities. 

P.S. Northwestern has made the call to the bullpen and brought me in as the emergency PA guy.  I will take requests for timeout or halftime songs until tip-off. :D

gustie12

Luckily the roads going to and from Collegeville last night were fine. Great atmosphere at SJU last night to accompany a well played game by both sides. It was fitting that Jordan Dick was able to shoot the last two free throws, since he is the lone senior for the Gusties.

Should be another great one at Olaf on Friday. Within 30 minutes of the end of the GAC-SJU game last night, I had already heard rumblings of GAC students organizing fan buses to go to Olaf on Friday night. I would anticipate a minimum of 75-100 Gustie students at Olaf Friday night. Gustie students should easily get one fan bus full, if not two. If Olaf gets the same student section they had at their home game against UST, it will be LOUD in Northfield on Friday night. I am looking forward to that one!

Retired Old Rat

Heartbreaking loss for the Johnnie's last night.  I don't think it was a hangover from UST.  I think Gustavus, with an assist going to the zebras, did what they had to to win.  The Johnnies came oh so painfully close to doing so.

I had planned on going up to the game last night with 2 or 3 other guys.  With the weather forecast being what it was, we all decided to stay home and watch the webcast.  I'm sure there was a lot of that last night.  Although, from what I could see on the webcat, the student turnout was very disappointing.  Back in my time those seats on the west end of the gym would have been packed for a game like this if there were two feet of new snow on the ground.

Congratulations to the Johnnie seniors.  You lead a Johnnie resurgence after a few quite bad years.  Hoping the guys left behind, with some new faces, can take it up a notch or two.

The quality of the webcast, including VOJ's call of the game, was very high.  Beats the hell out of the STU basketball webcast, sans any audio.

Good luck to the four remaining teams.  Better luck to teams not located inside the St. Paul city limits. 

Drake Palmer

Surprising loss by Augsburg to Bethel, although the last time these two teams met it was an absolute war, & the game was much closer than the final score would indicate. 

I got home last night right around 9:00 and turned on the webcast to find there was 51 seconds left in the SJU –GAC game & the score tied 64-64.   Pretty tense & exciting finish to the game.  Congrats to the Johnnies' seniors & a very young Gustavus team. 

Congratulations to the Augsburg seniors & a very young Bethel team.

Certainly VOJ is the class of the MIAC game announcers, but SJU could stand to improve the quality of their video feed. But as much as SJU fans have raged about the lack of a video webcast of the football games, I guess us hoops junkies ought to be grateful SJU even provides a webcast.  ;)

Retired Old Rat

I would say the webcast was of average quality.  Certainly not up to Carlton standards, but not bad.  The audio was perfect.

I think the webcast is the culprit behind the low attendance.   ;)

I forgot to mention this in my last post.  Since the J's lost, this was my highlight.

VOJ thought he was off the air due to technical difficulties.  Slight pause and you can here a busy signal.  Probably calling the station to find out what was going on.  His response:  "This is fricking unbelievable."  That is the word he used.  So no Bert Blyleven type suspension.  Too bad Anthony LaPanta wasn't next to him.  He's got experience in matters such as this.

Sorry Mark, just couldn't resist.  ;D

Time to go back to the football board for me.