MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiko

Quote from: AndOne on July 14, 2014, 12:26:33 AM
2014-15 NCC NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE

Nov 21-22  NCC Tip Off Tourney--with UW-Whitewater, Bluffton, & Trinity. No matchups yet.
       25 Aurora
       29 @ UW-Stevens Point

Dec 4 @ Pamona Pitzer College (CA)
      6 @ Redlands College (CA
      12-13 @ Juniata College (PA) Tourney---NCC, Dickinson, Penn St-York, & Juniata. Matchups not set yet.
      17 @ Benedictine
      27 @ Mt. Union (OH) Tourney Vs. Olivet
      28 @ Mt. Union (OH) Tourney Vs. Adrian

Spanning the globe in December.  :-\

Crikey, I'm old enough to remember when Jim McKay's voiceover started with this phrase every Saturday.

These'll be the thrill of victory, right? :)

Gregory Sager

Nov 21-22  NCC Tip Off Tourney--with UW-Whitewater, Bluffton, & Trinity. No matchups yet.

To which of the myriad schools that're called Trinity, or which have "Trinity" as part of the school's name, do you refer?
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

Quote from: kiko on July 15, 2014, 03:35:51 AM

25 Aurora
       29 @ UW-Stevens Point

Dec 4 @ Pamona Pitzer College (CA)
      6 @ Redlands College (CA
      12-13 @ Juniata College (PA) Tourney---NCC, Dickinson, Penn St-York, & Juniata. Matchups not set yet.
      17 @ Benedictine
      27 @ Mt. Union (OH) Tourney Vs. Olivet
      28 @ Mt. Union (OH) Tourney Vs. Adrian

Spanning the globe in December.  :-\

Crikey, I'm old enough to remember when Jim McKay's voiceover started with this phrase every Saturday.

These'll be the thrill of victory, right? :)

Indubitably!   ;D

The Cardinals certainly do face a rather formidable non-con schedule headlined by the 2 state supported schools from north of the border, one of which was the national champion, and the other which was ranked #1 for the majority of the year. Dickinson advanced to the Elite Eight of the national tournament. Pamona Pitzer and Juniata should be tough, each having won 18 games last season. And, the annual Aurora game is almost always a closely contested tough battle. 

Of the 11 non-con games, only the first 3 will be played in the friendly confines of the "Hangar." After the 11/25 Aurora game, North Central will not play on their home floor again until 1/3 when they open the conference portion of the season against IWU. Consequently, the Cardinals will have to quickly become true road warriors in order to more often experience the thrill of victory as opposed to the agony of defeat.

Front line play will be the Cardinal's strength going into the season. I envision a strong 3 man rotation between the 4 and 5 spots, and a good 2 man rotation at the 3/SF. Much of their success will depend on the quality of play they get from the back court. Right now, its anybody's guess as to who will emerge from a large pack of prospects to claim both starting guard spots, and the primary backup roles at those positions.

AndOne

Quote from: Gregory Sager on July 15, 2014, 06:11:38 PM

To which of the myriad schools that're called Trinity, or which have "Trinity" as part of the school's name, do you refer?

Quite possibly not the first "Trinity" that might come to mind.
The subject school in this case is none other than local NAIA member Trinity International of Deerfield, IL

Gregory Sager

NPU's non-con schedule:

Sat, Nov 15: Illinois C.
Tue, Nov 18: @ St. Norbert
Tue, Nov 25: Eureka
Sat, Nov 29: St. Mary's (MN)
Wed, Dec 3: Alma
Sat, Dec 6: Kalamazoo
Sat, Dec 13: Trine
Mon, Dec 15: UW-Oshkosh
Wed, Dec 17: @ Chicago
Sat, Dec 20: St. John's
Tue, Dec 30: Indiana Dabney

With nine of the allotted eleven non-con games scheduled for the crackerbox, this North Park team is not going to see much of the highway until January. Heck, since one of the two road games is on the South Side, the only occasion for which NPU will actually need the services of a charter bus is for that 11/18 trip to DePere, WI. What makes it even more interesting is that only two of those nine home games, Kalamazoo and Trine, will require a return trip from the Vikings in 2015-16. Illinois College, Eureka, Alma, and UWO are each completing the back end of a two-game series by traveling to the Park, while St. Mary's (MN), St. John's, and Indiana Dabney Coleman are all one-offs.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AndOne on July 15, 2014, 06:48:12 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on July 15, 2014, 06:11:38 PM

Quite possibly not the first "Trinity" that might come to mind.
The subject school in this case is none other than local NAIA member Trinity International of Deerfield, IL

In casual conversation at church, TIU is my first guess when someone says "Trinity", given that the Evangelical Covenant Church (North Park) and the Evangelical Free Church (Trinity International) are sister denominations that came out of the same Swedish-American revival in the late nineteenth century. In casual conversation in most places on d3boards.com, I usually deduce that the school being referenced is either Trinity (TX) or Trinity (CT), and then I just figure it out via context. The exception is the MIAA room, where the Hope and Calvin folks invariably refer to Trinity Christian College in the southwest 'burbs as "Trinity", as it's a sister school of Hope and Calvin in that it's of Reformed and Dutch-American heritage, and it plays the MIAA's two shoe schools in basketball from time to time. They all seem to understand that shorthand.

AndOne

Quote from: Gregory Sager on July 15, 2014, 06:48:28 PM
NPU's non-con schedule:

Sat, Nov 15: Illinois C.
Tue, Nov 18: @ St. Norbert
Tue, Nov 25: Eureka
Sat, Nov 29: St. Mary's (MN)
Wed, Dec 3: Alma
Sat, Dec 6: Kalamazoo
Sat, Dec 13: Trine
Mon, Dec 15: UW-Oshkosh
Wed, Dec 17: @ Chicago
Sat, Dec 20: St. John's
Tue, Dec 30: Indiana Dabney

With nine of the allotted eleven non-con games scheduled for the crackerbox, this North Park team is not going to see much of the highway until January. Heck, since one of the two road games is on the South Side, the only occasion for which NPU will actually need the services of a charter bus is for that 11/18 trip to DePere, WI. What makes it even more interesting is that only two of those nine home games, Kalamazoo and Trine, will require a return trip from the Vikings in 2015-16. Illinois College, Eureka, Alma, and UWO are each completing the back end of a two-game series by traveling to the Park, while St. Mary's (MN), St. John's, and Indiana Dabney Coleman are all one-offs.

Indiana Dabney Coleman sounds like a traveling comedy club/theater troop.  ;)

LOTS of early season home cookin' in the NPU kitchen which will certainly produce a prime filet that the eastern Viking juggernaut will slice up like a hot knife through butter.  ;)   8-)

Titan Q

Former Millikin A.D. Joe Hakes has been named new A.D. at Illinois Institute of Technology ("Illinois Tech").

Gregory Sager

I'll echo what I said to Joe when I saw his notice on Facebook this morning: Welcome back to the Windy City and to D3, Joe, and I look forward to seeing you at some games here or there.

I also look forward to seeing you concede in person the ongoing chin-counting battle you've had with your erstwhile doppelgänger Dennis Prikkel.

joehakes

I'm down 75 pounds so Prikkel is way beyond me in the chins battle.  Actually he always has been.

Gregory Sager

Way beyond you in the chins battle, or just way beyond you in general?

Gregory Sager

Out of idle curiosity, I used a site that sac discovered, www.geomidpoint.com, to locate the geographic center of the CCIW. To nobody's surprise, it's out in the sticks; it's located on Big Grove Road about two miles southeast of Newark in Kendall County, and about three miles southeast of the Fox River.

When Carroll is added, the geographic center of the CCIW becomes more suburban; it moves north of the Fox River to the backyard of a house on Boyer Lane in Plano.

sac

Quote from: Gregory Sager on July 22, 2014, 05:51:26 PM
Out of idle curiosity, I used a site that sac discovered, www.geomidpoint.com, to locate the geographic center of the CCIW. To nobody's surprise, it's out in the sticks; it's located on Big Grove Road about two miles southeast of Newark in Kendall County, and about three miles southeast of the Fox River.

When Carroll is added, the geographic center of the CCIW becomes more suburban; it moves north of the Fox River to the backyard of a house on Boyer Lane in Plano.

First you have a bonfire in Kendall County, then you have a welcoming cook out for Carroll and her boyfriend in Plano.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: sac on July 22, 2014, 06:22:04 PM

First you have a bonfire in Kendall County, then you have a welcoming cook out for Carroll and her boyfriend in Plano.

So you are saying Carroll is gay?

(Spelled that way, Carroll is definitely a guy's name - e.g., Carroll O'Connor.)

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on July 22, 2014, 06:45:48 PM
Quote from: sac on July 22, 2014, 06:22:04 PM

So you are saying Carroll is gay?

(Spelled that way, Carroll is definitely a guy's name - e.g., Carroll O'Connor.)

Carroll LaHaye, women's head basketball coach at Randolph-Macon is a woman: http://www.rmcathletics.com/sports/wbkb/2009-10/bios/Carroll_LaHaye. Maybe her parents wanted a boy.