Previous topic - Next topic

Bishopleftiesdad

ADL70

SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

ADL70

CWRU survives its UAA opener with a walk-off two run double by Will Meador to beat Brandeis 9-8.  #1 starter had third straight poor outing and two relievers couldn't stem the tide, as Brandeis had a 7-3 lead after six.

Rossman gave up only one unearned run in a 2-1/3 inning relief stint, to keep the CWRU in the game.  Then staying with its starter too long, Brandeis let the Spartans back in the game with a four-run eighth to draw within one.

The Spartans thwarted two Brandeis scoring chances in the ninth.  The first came on an attempted double steal by the Judges.  With runners on the corners, rather than throwing to second to catch the runner, the throw went to the shortstop who threw back to home to get the runner from third out in a rundown.  Then Frey threw out a second runner at home trying to score on a ground ball to short.  Kelly got a strikeout to complete one scoreless relief inning, setting up the heroics in the bottom of nine.

A potential game-ending double play ball wasn't fielded cleanly by the second baseman, who had to threw to first rather than to second bring Meador up with runners on second and third with two outs.  And he delivered.

There will be streaming video of all the UAA games courtesy of Emory, with play-by-play of all of their games, plus selected others.

The Championship site:

http://emoryathletics.com/sports/bsb/2013-14/UAA/index

Seven different Spartans have gone yard at least once this season.  Can any other team match that production?
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

Spence

Looks like my recruiting evaluation instincts, even from afar, are pretty good! Anyone want to put me on staff? Disclaimer, I couldn't teach anyone to field, throw, hit or pitch at a college level if my life depended on it.

Marietta's top two pitchers looking really tough to hit so far...they're more of a threat to themselves than the other team's batters are though.

And of course just as you'd have expected, Christian Demko is slugging .800 and Mitch Geers has 6 stolen bases in 4 games.

Wait, what?

Pops33

Great game between Marietta and Wooster.  I was able to follow it via Live Stats and it was a 2 run game until the bottom of the eighth.  Both starters (Hagen - Woo, Byers - Mar) only gave up 3 hits through 7 innings.  Can't wait to see what happens in the encore on Tuesday!

Spence

Probably not dueling 3-hit starting performances haha.

ADL70

CWRU forges to the lead in the UAA, with a 4-3 win against Emory, the other undefeated team after day one.  Gronski was 4-4 with a 2 run homer and all four Spartan RBIs.  Fortunato went six giving up 3 runs (2 ER), draft prospect Winemiller got a hold with two shutout innings, and Kelly got is third save with a 1-2-3 ninth.

B/S were inconsistently called, but were same for both teams.  Quote from the Emory announcer on a Fortunato pitch: "Curve down the middle for a ball."

Tomorrow Spartans face Rochester which is 0-2 for the season.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

Spence

5 ranked teams in the new poll. Marietta, Manchester, Mount Union, Case Western and W&J.

Spence

Marietta beats Wooster 4-2 behind 3 2/3 of flawless relief with 6 Ks by Mike Fulton. FR Tyler Nieberding gave up just 1 earned on 3 hits in 5 1/3. Wooster pitching was also pretty solid, but Marietta took advantage of most of its chances, which included 5 wild pitches by Wooster FR Buckingham.

Defense sounded like it saved a couple of runs for each team as well.

ADL70

Another walk-off win for the #24 Spartans, 6-5 over Rochester.  K. Cain was the batting leader today 4-5, 2 RBI, and scored the winning run (after driving in the tying run).

Krentz went 8.1; 8 H, 5 ER, 6K, 0 BB, with all the hits and runs coming in the fourth.  Kelly continued the luck of the Irish, retiring the last two, and earning his third W, despite only having pitched 4 innings.

I'm guessing Freshman Jake Shields gets the ball tomorrow for one of the two games.  He had a 3.2 inning relief stint in the opener, 0 runs, 3 hits, and got the win.  Took the loss against Marietta on a manufactured run (BB, SB, WP, SF).  Not sure about the second game, Johnstone only went 3 on Sunday, but faced 16 batters, and I'm not sure what his pitch count was.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

ADL70

CWRU beat Brandeis 16-6 in 8 (10 run rule for UAA).

Gronski 3-4  HR, 3B  4 RBI
Frey 4-6 2B, HR  5 RBI
Some little used players shone as well:  Marques Winick 4-5 2-2B, 3B   Josh Neal 2-5 2B

Freshman Connor Faix  went 5 for the win 5 R  2 ER

Game vs WashU getting underway shortly (schedule 3hr behind due to rain).  Shields gets the start.

Ugly fifth win in FLA for the Spartans.  Cruising 8-0 after 4, behind near flawless pitching and 2 4-run innings.  But the offense took a brief respite and the Bears mounted a comeback with two in the fifth and then wild relief gave up four in the sixth, before the Spartans added another found in the bottom of the sixth.

Already have matched last year's co-championship win total, with three yet to play.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

EttaFan1

A no-no for Marietta's Christian Herstine against Montclair State.  Marietta wins 8-0.  Herstine with 9k's and 3BB's.

Webster coming up.

ADL70

Gutty pitching by Rochester beats CWRU 3-2.  This time the ninth inning rally falls short.

Emory and Spartans tied at 5-1, no other team has a winning record.  Eagles and Spartans meet again on Saturday.  Advantage to Emory, in that they have a day off tomorrow, then play again on Sunday vs Brandeis (6-6, 2-4).  Isn't playing more than twice as many games as any other team before the tourney enough of an advantage?
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

DagarmanSpartan

I'm still hoping we can make it back to back!

That Gronski is a BEAST!!!

Do DIII players ever get drafted?  I realize that this is Division III pitching, but his numbers at ANY level are truly amazing thus far!

motorman

Quote from: DagarmanSpartan on March 14, 2014, 12:56:22 AM
I'm still hoping we can make it back to back!

That Gronski is a BEAST!!!

Do DIII players ever get drafted?  I realize that this is Division III pitching, but his numbers at ANY level are truly amazing thus far!

There are usually 10-15 D3 players drafted each year with the majority of those being pitchers.