MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.B. Cooper

2/27 play-in pick

McDaniel: Devils looked good against Dips (but who didn't the last third of the season) however the Terrors at home should play better & survive until the semis.

diplomaniac1

Folks -

2/27 Pick -

McDaniel: Although they have not played as well down the stretch, they appear to have more depth and more scoring options than the Red Devils two main weapons Grell and Leczinsky. They also have the advantage of the home crowd and atmosphere which are usually key in the playoffs.

Good luck to all. Regards,

Eric

r.w. mcnickels

2/27 pick:

McDaniel

Hard to pick against Grell and Leszczynski, but Curley's troops should make their first playoff appearance in 13 years a memorable one in front of the home crowd at Gill.

Reserved Seat

Almost forgot.

McDaniel-at home

F&M definitely didn't get the guard play I expected.   The guards didn't create any plays.  Chasen took charge in the Tip-off tournament, but after that he seemed to disappear.
The three-point shooting was inconsistent.  Rhyner had some great days; but often if he missed his first attempt, his shot seemed off the rest of the game.
McNally was a consistent option, but he was still learning how to shot over bigger men that he faced on a regular basis, probably unlike high school.  He should improve next year with a year of experience under his belt.  Baker showed a nice touch on his jumper.  Unfortunately, he seemed to get out of sync with the pushing underneath.  With a little more size, he should do well next.  Selig seems to have improved drastically since his freshman year.  He consistent hustles and picks up the pace for the whole team when he's in the game.
Finally, F&M's defense gave up too many easy shots.  Other teams lite up the court with three point shooting.  In the one point loss to Gettysburg, F&M gave up an incredible amount of fast break points and back door plays.  It's hard too believe they only lost by one point.

old ends

The Academic Honor roll for the Conference has been posted:
click here: http://www.centennial.org/AHR/Winter_08.pdf

Each and everyone of these Gentelmen show that playing on a team and putting forth all the effort, practice, travel,and game time, has not taken away from the goals that they have set for themself's. Congradulations to all.

old ends

Just jumped on McDaniel's live stats and saw Dickinson is up by 12 points.

Did not think that would happen that early

old ends

Dickinson is up 15 at the half..

Dickinson 18 - 32 from the floor 56.3%, 6 - 9 3 point shots 66.7% and 3 - 3 from the foul line.

McDaniel 9-29 from the floor 31%, 2 -7 - 3point shots 28.6%, 10-12 from the foul line.

McDaniel better start showing home court shooting advantage or watch the next round from bleachers.

diplomaniac1

Folks -

McDaniel's site indicates final score as Dickinson 89 - McDaniel 80. Looks like all of us except for Leo were wrong on this one. What an inauspicious start! Let's hope we do better in the next round

Eric

Leo

All CC Team announced today:

First Team

G-Dan Capkin, Gettysburg * (A) ...........................................Jr
G-John Noonan, Ursinus.........................................................Jr
G-Corey Dorsey, Gettysburg..................................................Jr
F-Nick Shattuck, Ursinus + ................................................... Sr
F-Ian McCormick, Swarthmore # ......................................... Sr

Second Team

G-Doug Polster, Johns Hopkins (A) ..................................... Sr
G-Kizmahr Grell, Dickinson # ...............................................Jr
F-Chris Prior, McDaniel ........................................................ Sr
F-Andrew Powers, Gettysburg .............................................. Fr
F-Tom Leszczynski, Dickinson %.........................................Jr

Honorable Mention

G-Chaz Thomas, Haverford # ................................................Jr
G-Matt Hilton, Ursinus ..........................................................So
G-Remy Cousart, Ursinus......................................................So
G-Tim Kohlrus, Washington ..................................................Jr
F-Joe Spierenburg, Gettysburg (A)........................................Jr

+ 1st team All-Centennial in 2006 and 2007
* 1st team All-Centennial in 2007
# 2nd team All-Centennial in 2007
% Honorable Mention All-Centennial in 2007
(A) Named to 2008 Conference Academic Honor Roll

Player of the Year – Nick Shattuck, Ursinus, Sr., F

Leo

Well done McNickels !!!!!!!!!!!

You selected 14 out of 15 players for ALL CC  Honors. A few players moved up or down from your selection which can debated by all of us.

However, Tim Kohlrus/Washington was selected, and not James McNally/F&M as the only blemish on McNickels picks. I believe McNally deserved HM mention, but I think the F&M team freefall may have affected his consideration.

D.B. Cooper

Looking at the Regional Rankings.

It looks to me like the only team that could pass Gettysburg is Widener with a victory over Lycoming & a Gburg loss to JHU. There would seem to be a strong chance of the CC getting two NCAA bids looking at the rankings now. Could the CC get NESCAC-like NCAA consideration by getting three bids? This  would  require the longshot outcome of JHU or Dickinson winning the CC tournmant. Somehow I doubt that the CC would actually be allowed three teams. I don't think an opportunity like this for the CC will come around again anytime soon.

r.w. mcnickels

Leo, congrats on another POY from Collegeville.  It could be Noonan next year, then Hilton or Cousart, then some Philly-area high schooler yet to enroll at Ursinus, then...

Just four seniors out of 15 players.  Combine that with the dramatic improvement in non-conference play this year (39-25) over last year (24-43), and the future looks bright for the CC -- on paper, at least.

r.w. mcnickels

Quote from: Suetonius on February 28, 2008, 12:37:58 PM

It looks to me like the only team that could pass Gettysburg is Widener with a victory over Lycoming & a Gburg loss to JHU. There would seem to be a strong chance of the CC getting two NCAA bids looking at the rankings now. Could the CC get NESCAC-like NCAA consideration by getting three bids? This  would  require the longshot outcome of JHU or Dickinson winning the CC tournmant. Somehow I doubt that the CC would actually be allowed three teams. I don't think an opportunity like this for the CC will come around again anytime soon.

Suetonius-

Dickinson upsetting Ursinus, then beating Gettysburg in the final would make it interesting.  Then the committee would at least have to entertain the idea of three CC teams.  Gettysburg's only two regional losses are to the top-ranked team, Ursinus.  That has to work in the Bullets' favor.

Here's how Ursinus and Gettysburg stack up on the D-III strength of schedule index:

http://www.d3hoops.com/salem/08/owp.htm

old ends

A great big -- ATTA BOY -- for Leo for call the upset with the Dickinson win over McDaniel. He was the only one who made the gutsy call.

Leo 1

the rest of us 0

old ends

Quote from: r.w. mcnickels on February 28, 2008, 04:31:02 PM
Quote from: Suetonius on February 28, 2008, 12:37:58 PM

Suetonius-

Dickinson upsetting Ursinus, then beating Gettysburg in the final would make it interesting.  Then the committee would at least have to entertain the idea of three CC teams.  Gettysburg's only two regional losses are to the top-ranked team, Ursinus.  That has to work in the Bullets' favor.

Here's how Ursinus and Gettysburg stack up on the D-III strength of schedule index:

IF Suetonius theory works out, I still think that only one of the teams, other than the Conference winner, would get in.

The in region ranking looks very good for both teams, with Gettysburg only two losses to Ursinus. The number in front of both is a different story.
Ursinus has a OWP ranking of 151, Gettysburg 91. Out of 397 schools Gettysburg sits in the upper 25% while Ursinus is in the top 38%. Ursinus has the two victories over Gettysburg. They might get the the pick.

Hard to say, but let the playoff's tell the final story.