Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

Bridge!  I used to major in brIdge and minor in physics, or was it poker....was it in college or grad school..first gradschool.  gosh, I cannot remember. :). Need to know what system you play and the stakes.  Do remember, my frat had long, long poker games with faculty joining in.  Also remember a student going to Harvard on weekends and returning home with mucho winnings.  Yes, a little off topic.

Vandy74

It was a good win at Springfield for Middlebury today.  I assume the weather played a factor in the first half, although with no commentator, I can't be certain.  The score was 1-1 at the intermission.  Springfield had seemed to be in control and quickly went ahead 2-1 at 28:47 of the second half and pushed it to 3-1 at 22:47.  The score remained that way for the next ten minutes and then the Panther offense ignited.  Scoring their second goal with about twelve minutes remaining, Middlebury tallied five more unanswered over the next eight minutes.  A final Panther tally made the final score 7-3.  The visitors outshot their hosts by a 30-9 margin, 23-6 on goal.     

The Middlebury women's ice hockey team defeated Amherst 2-0, winning the NESCAC title and the AQ in the NCAA tournament.  The first period was mostly played on the visitors' end of the ice, but neither team scored.  A Middlebury goal in each of the remaining periods provided the winning margin.  This afternoon's action will likely be the final game played at Kenyon this season since the Panthers are ranked third in the region, behind Plattsburgh and Norwich.   

Bombers798891

#11 ranked IC women's lacrosse sends a major message by going on the road and taking out #14 Brockport 21-8. Great, great early season win

cmackowiakSGSN

While Salisbury men's lacrosse's offense has been a question mark this season, the Sea Gulls returned two veterans in middies Corey Gwin and Garrett Reynolds. Both players have sparked the offense at times when it's been stagnant. Here's an article I wrote for The Flyer and also Delmarvanow.com about Corey Gwin and his progression over his career.

https://thesuflyer.com/2018/03/07/eastern-shore-grit-spurs-gwin-to-success/

Vandy74

Quote from: cmackowiakSGSN on March 07, 2018, 10:39:02 PM
While Salisbury men's lacrosse's offense has been a question mark this season, the Sea Gulls returned two veterans in middies Corey Gwin and Garrett Reynolds. Both players have sparked the offense at times when it's been stagnant. Here's an article I wrote for The Flyer and also Delmarvanow.com about Corey Gwin and his progression over his career.

cmackowiakSGSN

An interesting article, and welcome to the board.  Gwin and Reynolds seem to be more than holding their own in the young season.  I'm more a fan of the women's game as are the few regular posters here, although amh63 keeps us up to date on both the Lord and Lady Jeffs and magicman occasionally posts on the Plattsburgh State Cardinals.  Middlebury is coming off a disappointing season, although they were playing some fine lacrosse toward the end, upsetting then undefeated Bates in the NESCAC semifinals and losing 9-8 to Wesleyan in the championship game.  I see the Panthers have a spring break road trip in two weeks to face Ohio Wesleyan's good buddy Denison.   Anyway, it's good to have someone here who's more focused on the men's game.  We hope you'll stick around.

My sister-in-law retired from the Middlebury coaching ranks, a few years back, without ever finding an answer to the Lady Gulls.  The six losses include two by a pair of goals and three others by only one, including two 8-7 defeats in the 2007 championship game and the 2013 semifinals.  She had much better luck against Gettysburg going 7-2.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Vandy74 on March 08, 2018, 10:39:13 PM

cmackowiakSGSN

An interesting article, and welcome to the board.  Gwin and Reynolds seem to be more than holding their own in the young season.  I'm more a fan of the women's game as are the few regular posters here, although amh63 keeps us up to date on both the Lord and Lady Jeffs and magicman occasionally posts on the Plattsburgh State Cardinals.  Middlebury is coming off a disappointing season, although they were playing some fine lacrosse toward the end, upsetting then undefeated Bates in the NESCAC semifinals and losing 9-8 to Wesleyan in the championship game.  I see the Panthers have a spring break road trip in two weeks to face Ohio Wesleyan's good buddy Denison.   Anyway, it's good to have someone here who's more focused on the men's game.  We hope you'll stick around.

My sister-in-law retired from the Middlebury coaching ranks, a few years back, without ever finding an answer to the Lady Gulls.  The six losses include two by a pair of goals and three others by only one, including two 8-7 defeats in the 2007 championship game and the 2013 semifinals.  She had much better luck against Gettysburg going 7-2.

Well now we can put two-and-two together (for those wondering why I have popped up, I follow/cover lacrosse, too). I believe I called her last game of her career? I have been on the call for a few DIII women's lacrosse championship weekends in my career.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Vandy74

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 09, 2018, 12:15:25 PM
Quote from: Vandy74 on March 08, 2018, 10:39:13 PM

cmackowiakSGSN

Well now we can put two-and-two together (for those wondering why I have popped up, I follow/cover lacrosse, too). I believe I called her last game of her career? I have been on the call for a few DIII women's lacrosse championship weekends in my career.

That you did Dave.  It was a 19-8 spanking at the hands of the Cortland State juggernaut.  It was a semifinal match up in which the Panthers held a 4-0 lead ten minutes into the game. :(    You also called Middlebury's championship winning game the following season, the first with Kate Livesay at the helm.  I wish you'd handle the championship weekend commentary every year.  I've heard no one do it better.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Thank you, Vandy. I have tried to make it happen each year. Last year things got weird... I think they forgot or whatever... and anyway, I was asked to do color (eh)... but then another opportunity came up at the exact same time for the exact same day... guh.

I am working to be back on the call if I can this year. Thank you for the kind words about it.

I do remember that game, now. Yeah. That wasn't much of one, was it? That lead was insane. I remember thinking Midd was in terrific shape and then Cortland got off the bus.

The next year was incredible by Midd. The fact all four teams and the same semis returned... but the outcomes were completely different was unreal.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Vandy74

Both Middlebury squads walked away with victories against St. Lawrence this afternoon.  The women had the easier time of it after finally putting it together late in the first half.   Leading 5-1 at intermission, the Panthers played a crisp second half winning 15-3 and improving their record to 4-0.  They play host to conference rival 3-0 Wesleyan on Saturday.  I watched most of the game with Panther HC Kate Livesay's parents, who are high school classmates of mine, and was told that Amherst should be very good this season.  The 3-0 Lady Jeffs already own wins over always contending Colby, in Waterville, and what I expect is a resurgent Bowdoin team that beat up on UNE and Connecticut College by a combined score of 45-12.

The men survived an amazing comeback attempt, winning a game in which they had led 12-4 at 4:53 in the third period, by the score of 12-11.  St. Lawrence changed goalkeepers when Middlebury stretched the lead to eight, and scored seven unanswered.  They out-shot the Panthers 15-1 in the fourth quarter.  Whew! :P     

PolarCat

Gotta love the NESCAC.  Hamilton beat defending National Champions Colby, but got their butts whipped by Tufts, William Smith, SUNY Geneseo and Bowdoin.  Colby lost close games to Amherst and Hamilton, then embarrassed William Smith.  Meanwhile Bowdoin was thrashed by Amherst (the game wasn't as close as the score might suggest) but cruised past Conn, UNE, RIT and Hamilton.  And Trinity lost a 3OT game to York last night.

Midd, Amherst, Tufts and Wes are all still undefeated, but that will change come Saturday.  Another wild NESCAC season ahead!

amh63

Amherst's men's team was playing at Stevenson Un. in the Baltimore area.  Beat Rochester and lost to top ranked RIT...their first lost.  Seems the men's LJs are a good team with a starting FY goalie.
The Lady Jeff's are playing well too. Now that the WBB team won its third National Title and 66 straight game, I can spend my idle time focusing on lacrosse....maybe....March Madness is underway and I am in the middle of getting my eyes fixed so I can see without glasses and drive at night.  People have accused me of being " blind" while watching sports :).

amh63

Back again, one eye done another eye in a couple of weeks.  Did follow some lacrosse games in the Northeast...cold weather.  Amherst teams seem to be rolling.  Did not see Hannah Fox, the Soph point guard... WBB all-American...get into a lacrosse game yet.  If she improves on the field like she did on the hardwood floor, Amherst may finish very high in the conference this season.

ephoops

Tough game for the Midd women down at TCNJ.

Definitely some questionable calls by the refs, especially all the 3-second calls that resulted in free position shots for TCNJ.  The game turned half way through the second half when, with the score 5-4, TCNJ scored two goals within 90 seconds on free position shots after Midd was whistled for 3-seconds defensive violations.  The refs probably called 6 or 7 defensive 3-second violations on Midd -- I believe Midd was called once for such a violation in their first six games!  Definitely some home cooking to benefit TCNJ.  Two of the refs for last night's game also were the refs in last year's controversial NCAA tournament Elite 8 game at TCNJ where the referees called an overtly lopsided game in favor of TCNJ when they beat Midd to advance to the Final Four.

I give Kate Livesay credit though -- while most NESCAC teams are content to travel to Florida and blow out two inferior opponents, KP takes her women on the road into the "Lions Den" to play TCNJ.  A game like last night will serve this team well later in the season during the 'CAC and NCAA tournaments (Hopefully Midd will not be forced to travel to TCNJ to play another Elite 8 game this year.

phil

Quote from: ephoops on March 28, 2018, 05:10:54 PM
Definitely some questionable calls by the refs, especially all the 3-second calls that resulted in free position shots for TCNJ.  The game turned half way through the second half when, with the score 5-4, TCNJ scored two goals within 90 seconds on free position shots after Midd was whistled for 3-seconds defensive violations.  The refs probably called 6 or 7 defensive 3-second violations on Midd -- I believe Midd was called once for such a violation in their first six games!  Definitely some home cooking to benefit TCNJ.  Two of the refs for last night's game also were the refs in last year's controversial NCAA tournament Elite 8 game at TCNJ where the referees called an overtly lopsided game in favor of TCNJ when they beat Midd to advance to the Final Four.

Only 1 official did both the 2017 NCAA game and the game a few days ago – Janice McGrath – and she has over a decade experience in officiating Division 1 games including 2018 games like #11 Northwestern vs #20 Duke; #12 Virginia Tech vs #13 North Carolina; #7 Syracuse vs Notre Dame; #17 Colorado vs #11 Northwestern; #13 North Carolina vs #20 Duke; etc., etc...

The other two officials also have extensive D1 experience. I highly doubt they fail to grasp the concept of the 3-second defensive violation – nor do I think that when they get the odd D3 game they get together and decide to give preferential treatment to TCNJ.

...and whether you realize it or not, the same referees have done other Middlebury games outside NJ over the years. I have it on good authority that these particular officials aren't housed on the TCNJ campus only to be trotted out for games played by the home side.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I've seen McGrath and a number of officials who do D1 games... at D3 games. Officiating being the cause or blame for a game... is lame and childish, in my opinion. Easy scapegoat for fans.