FB: Middle Atlantic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billman56

What a great day for football!!!  Sun , nice teperature, low humidity, and a great out of the blocks win for Del Val!!!  It was a good contest and somewhat of a nail biter until DVC put it in the book.  At one point it could have gone either way but the boys persevered. I, personnaly have not ever observed a QB like Knoblaugh. When he has to get it done, he does it.  Moravian is a good team and should not be taken likely on any day. In my opinion Mat Murphy sealed the game with his clutch Int.

Gordon, couldnt make it to the press box, maybe next week?? Tried to snag you at the track but you seemed to be on a mission...will catch up.

macfan762

Happened to be in Bethlehem for the Moravian DVC game.  Very exciting football in the second half.  First half saw Moravian put up only 3 points.  Seemed like when the QB was taken out with a personal foul very late hit, Offense seemed a bit out of sorts.  He returned in the 3rd and the team was fired up.  DVC are a very talented team, especially the Quarterback.  I must admit that with all the preseason DVC hype I expected to see a powerhouse roll to a big win.  Looks to me like, as usual, the MAC can go in any direction at any time.  On the officials front, I hope this was a case of first game jitters.  Too many late flags and inconsistent calling especially in the secondary.  Some of the pass interference calls were amatuer at best.

Looking forward to an exciting season across the MAC.

bossman05

Was at the del val game on sat....from what i saw it was a good game

del vals defense which held jacoubs in check basically all day look pretty good except for some long balls that got caught...but if the defense plays well del val will be tough to beat...(one big thing is, the db's need to stay healthy)

del val offense look good at times...they drove the ball well but at times had a hard time finishing their drives which needs to change esp in this conference

del val special teams looked a little better from last year but need to find a consistent punter (tried 3 different punters throughout the game)

in other games what happen to leb val...the way you guys were talking i figured they would be able to get past gettysburg.. what happen gettysburg get better or leb val same old leb val... clue me in guys

wow..also what happen to wilkes...very surprised to see they lost esp to willy p
any info on that wilkes fans?

also any news from kings on their game?

maAggie5

for all the complaining about an interference call late in game going DVC's way, I guess there was a memory lapse concerning some horrific calls in the first 1/2 against the aggies...and the face mask call that even a blind man could see was a phantom call...nice to see aggies overcame all adversity and brought home the W

macfan762

Actually, there were 3 interference calls against Moravian that were flat out wrong.  I agree that the face mask against DVC was wrong as well.  My point was that the officials operated at a Pop Warner level.

Would have been nice to see what Moravian offense could have done in the first half had it not been for the personal foul against the QB.  Tough way to lose a game.

Billman56

Readytorock...Did you happen to see a copy of The Intelligencer, if not have your player pick one up, If not let me know I have an extra. Your guy got some nice PR...

As for the officials, I feel it was 1st game jitters and also some questionable call, but that is almost any game anymore...

Billman56

Readytorock...You read that on here.  Looking forward to Saturday, glad it is a short week, work wise.  I hope the 2nd team gets some experience this week also. I have the paper and will bring it. Look for us in the parking lot.

This week.....Del Val  42    FDU   20.

GURU ??????  Thats rich!!

See ya there

macfan762

It seems to me to be a good thing that FDU has two starting QBs.  Especially given the personal foul roughing the Quarterback against Moravian.  I find it ironic that in all the banter about the DVC game, nobody adressed my earlier  comment.  A lesser team than Moravian might have felt the need to retaliate, but they appear to have way too much class for that and are too well coached to stoop to a cheap shot to ensure a "W".

Anyway, I wouldn't count too much on a 2nd team against a very hungry and talented FDU program.  Especially since effectively Moravian played one half of Offensive football against a "Nationally ranked" team and had the score 24-22 with 6 minutes remaining.

As I said before, DVC is a very talented team.  It should be a great season and I think they are in for some tough challenges as is every other team in the MAC.

bossman05

Macfan762,

First of all i don't agree with ur shot at the personal foul call on sat that caused venturino to miss most of the game...it wasn't that late of a hit...it happens, its football...when u rush the qb with the speed these guys are playing with its very hard to just pull up at the last second...and i'm sick of hearing thats why moravian lost -thats not the reason-

First of all you need more then 250 yds of total offense to win a game

Also i haven't heard much bout del vals defense that keep jacoubs in check for 80 yds (when was the last time that happen)

so maybe instead of making an excuse for a personal foul call maybe you should compliment del vals defense for the reason moravian lost

also if the del val offense finished 2 or 3 of their drives that were below the 30 the score wouldn't have been close...

another thing is...if it was wasn't for 2 poorly punted balls that gave moravian great field position they would have never scored...its easier to score with a short field....

empire8fan

your ripping the moravian guy for making excuses on why they lost yet you go and make excuses for why the game was close.... ??? ???

interesting....

Simba

Quote from: Billman56 on September 04, 2005, 04:08:30 PM
Readytorock...Did you happen to see a copy of The Intelligencer, if not have your player pick one up, If not let me know I have an extra. Your guy got some nice PR...

As for the officials, I feel it was 1st game jitters and also some questionable call, but that is almost any game anymore...

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/42-09042005-536695.html

macfan762

Gee Bossman, I didnt realize you were sick of hearing about it as this is the first time anyone on this chatroom acknowledged the comment.  Indeed, Moravian had very good field position due to 3, not 2 weak punts.  DVC's defense is very solid, especially the D-line.  #90 Silver is very fast.

As for the late hit.  I beg to differ, it was very late.  But, as you point out, the Greyhounds had their chances even with a QB who I'm sure was hurting in the 2nd half, from a late flagrant hit to the helmet.  And no, late hits to the QB are not part of the game.  That's why they call it roughing the passer.  It's a penalty.  And yes, when you are so very fast, it is hard to slow up at the last minute, I understand that.  I never said it was intentional.

There are no excuses in football, it is a game of inches and chances.  I am a bit surprised that you guys are expecting the "2nd team" to get time this weekend.  A 31-22 decision based on the facts don't seem to call for that.

gordonmann

Good to see this room alive for a change.

Here are my $0.02 from this weekend...

- Del Val was 3 for 3 in the red zone.  I don't remember them missing many opportunities to score more than they did.

- I thought the officials called pass interference tight, but consistent, on both ends.  While the Moravian fans didn't like the erased interception late in the game, it was a penalty from what I saw.  You can't hit the WR after five yards and the bump came way down field.  Would Carmon have caught it without the bump?  I'm not sure, but you can't hit him before the ball arrives to prevent him getting a chance.

There were some other calls - one on Bliss and one on another Moravian - which both looked tight, but consistent.  The only pass interference call I thought was a little rough was where Moravian was flagged for hitting Marshall on fourth down in the first half.  I thought the defender had a five yard buffer zone for hitting a receiver, but the official saw it differently.

- Venturino's a tough dude.  I didn't see the late hit, but he was certainly fired up on the sidelines after the when it was 24-22.  And Chad DeFelice made lots of tackles.

- Very impressive showing by Del Val's run defense.  Thaxton led the team in tackles in his first start, Silver looked quicker and stronger and Albanesius and Pursell played very well.

As for this weekend, I wrote FDU had 100 recruits recruit but that was a mistake.  I meant they had 100+ players total return to camp.  Coach Mosca was very excited about this season when I talked to him in August.

Billman, sorry I missed you.  I got a little lost on the way to Steel Field.  Hopefully I make better time on Saturday and I'll swing by.

macfan762

Indeed DVC looked good.  Not great.  Great would be demolishing a good team.  They did not do that.  Not even close.  Officials are part of the game and every fan sees their actiosn through their own glasses.  I saw the Moravian late push.  That was uncalled for and an appropriate penalty.  I do not have a selective memory, but like all fans I see it as objectively as I can, but as a fan.

How anyone can see a 31-22 win as a basis for planning a season long romp through this tough division is amazing.  I guess time will tell.

gordonmann

Pat Coleman just sent me the following excerpt from the NCAA Rule Book concerning pass interference:

"Defensive pass interference is contact beyond the neutral zone by a Team B player whose intent to impede an eligible opponent is obvious and it could prevent the opponent the opportunity of receiving a catchable
forward pass. When in question, a legal forward pass is catchable. Defensive pass interference occurs only after a legal forward pass is thrown."

So it sounds like even the first half pass interference call on fourth down was justifiable.