FB: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Horse Rider

Methodist 2020 schedule is up on their website now.  They have the same out of conference opponents as last year.  The will play home first against Shenandoah at home which will be a tough test.  Last year the game got out of hand due to a few things one of which was the long got hurt in that Thursday practice.  The backup sent a snap over the punters head and a another bad snap led directly to a block and a TD.  The next two games are very winnable at Guilford and at Catholic.  The bye comes before conference play and Huntington and Maryville come to Fayetteville back to back weeks.  Next away to LaGrange and if that RB is back that will be no cake walk.  Averett is homecoming.  Halloween night  in the mountains against the Tornados is the toughest road game by far.  Greensboro home then NCWC on the road to finish.  On paper it sets up well.  Hopefully recruiting and spring conditioning are moving things in a direction to build off of last season.

Wild Horse Rider

Greensboro College announced last week that they have hired a new coach, Tyler Card.  He is a 2010 graduate of Southern Virginia.  Looks like he is originally from Utah but is well traveled.  He coached at SVU for a few years then went to Weber State (UT) then to Pace (NY).  He has spent the past 5 years at Sul Ross State in TX.  He was the OC for the last 3 years.  He has an OL background which I always appreciate.  I wish him and the Pride the best of luck this season (with the exception of 11/7 against the Monarchs). 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Wild Horse Rider on February 03, 2020, 03:35:44 PM
Greensboro College announced last week that they have hired a new coach, Tyler Card.  He is a 2010 graduate of Southern Virginia.  Looks like he is originally from Utah but is well traveled.  He coached at SVU for a few years then went to Weber State (UT) then to Pace (NY).  He has spent the past 5 years at Sul Ross State in TX.  He was the OC for the last 3 years.  He has an OL background which I always appreciate.  I wish him and the Pride the best of luck this season (with the exception of 11/7 against the Monarchs).
Sul Ross!?!  He's gonna get claustrophobic from all of the trees. LOL

Wild Horse Rider

So I may be getting a little ahead of my self but I am optimistic about where the Monarchs could be for the next 3 years.  It has always been a cycle of get a really good QB and suffer through the lumps his FR and SO years and then reap the rewards his JR and SR years.  The problem has been when the good FR doesn't make it to his senior year (see Parks/DeGroot).  Here is what I have seen since 2002 (I know that the starter may have been injured and someone else played but these were the full time starters):

2002-2005 starting QB Chris Roncketti 3-7, 4-5, 7-3, 8-2 (share of conference title)
2006-2007 starting QB Brandon Parks 4-6 FR, 4-6 SO and then unfortunately transferred to Florida State as a walk on.  He actually dressed for some home games as a RS SR but never saw the field.  I believe there would have been a conference title his JR or SR year.
2008-2009 starting QB Erik Teague 2-8 JR, 3-7 SR.  Sadly for Erik there were other issues with the team and though he was a good QB he was not good enough to overcome some of the talent deficiencies at other positions.
2010 starting QB Travis Murphy 2-8 SO.  He was beat out by a FR the next season but could have been a solid starter by his SR year
2011-2014 starting QB Max Reber 3-7, 5-5, 8-2 (share of conference title), 6-4.  Max's SR year he lost his top WR the year prior and also the defense lost the starting nose guard that made the odd front work because he was an absolute monster.  Still I think the record in 2014 could have been better.
2015 starting QB Dylan DeGroot 4-6 FR.  Unfortunately due to personal reasons he left but boy I would have loved to watch him for three more years.  He was talented enough to elevate others and a conference title his JR or SR year would not have been out of the question.
2016 starting QB Xavier Adams 3-6 RS SR who transferred to Methodist.  Not a bad player but could not elevate the talent around him.
2017-2018 starting QB Steve Keoni 2-8 SO, 2-7 JR  He was not a bad player but had some arm limitations.  The offense also hung their hat on the run game his 2 seasons as a starter.
2019 starting QB Brandon Bullins 4-6 FR.  He has tons of talent and upside in my opinion and had a pretty decent year also.  If he stays the next three years I believe the sky's the limit.

The trick is to have a QB waiting ready to go after the SR leaves but as we see with all levels of college football if the guy isn't starting he looks for other opportunities.  That is the trickiest position in football because there is only one.  All other positions rotate or have multiple players at that position on the field at the same time.

Wild Horse Rider

The USAC turned 20 this past season.  I looked back at the top teams, top players, and top coaches.  I limited it to conference champs for the teams.  I limited it to POY or 1st team All Americans on d3 football site.  For the coaches I looked at the COY.

TEAMS:
1. 2015 Huntingdon 10-2 overall 7-0 in conference and made it to the second round of the playoffs
2. 2007 NCWC 9-3 overall 7-0 in conference and made it to the second round of the playoffs
3. 2004 CNU 9-3 overall 5-1 in conference and made it to the second round of the playoffs
4. 2005 Ferrum 9-2 overall 6-1 in conference and lost in the first round of the playoffs
5. 2017 Huntingdon 9-2 overall 7-0 in conference and lost in the first round of the playoffs
HM 2014 CNU 8-4 and lost in the second round of the playoffs
HM 2019 Huntingdon 8-4 and lost in the second round of the playoffs

Players:

Offense:
1. Marcus Mayo QB from Ferrum.  OPOY in 2010 and 2011 who was also a punt returner.  He was scary looking also.
2. Tunde Ogun RB from CNU.  2008 OPOY in conference and south region and a 1st team All American.  He was a D1 transfer and it showed.
3. Cedric Townsend QB from NCWC.  OPOY in 2006 and 2007.  Took NCWC to 2nd round of the playoffs.
4. Brian Mann RB from Ferrum.  OPOY in 2017 and would have likely repeated but Ferrum left for the ODAC his JR year.
5. Chris Roncketti QB from Methodist.  OPOY in 2005 and helped win a share of the conference title that year.
HM Malik Adams WR from NCWC.  OPOY in 2015 and owns most career yards and TDs in the conference

Defense:
1. Montel Lee DL from Ferrum.  DPOY in 2016 and 2017.  Owns conference record 39 career sacks.
2. Darren Venable DB from Ferrum.  DPOY in 2003 and 2004.  He played what they called the PIG in their defense and they moved him all over the field.
3. Antonio Johnson LB from NCWC.  DPOY in 2018 and 2019.  All around impressive stats but watch the games and he was always around the ball.
4. Rob Rodriguez DB from CNU.  DPOY in 2005 and 1st team All American in 2006.
5. Andre Carter LB from LaGrange.  DPOY in 2012 and 2013.  He seemed to be angry all the time.
HM DJ Chappell DL from Huntingdon.  1st team All American in 2012 and nearly impossible to block

Coach:
1. Matt Kelchner from CNU 7 time coach of the year
2. Mike Turk from Huntingdon 4 time coach of the year
I put Jim Sypult (19 years) from Methodist and Dan Davis (17 years) from Ferrum in the list also as long time coaches at their respective schools
I put Jack Ginn from NCWC and Mike Rader from Maryville in the list of coaches who in Ginn's case started the program or in Rader's case revived a program.  Both coaches parlayed their success into a job at scholarship programs

Hawks88

Huntingdon has their schedule up now. I assume this will be the last game of the series with Guilford, the second half of the home-and-home with Oshkosh, and the nice November trip to Murvul. Hope we get to play them. Go Hawks!

9/5      at Guilford             
9/12      vs. Birmingham-Southern       
9/19      vs. UW-Oshkosh         
10/3      at Methodist *             
10/10   vs. Greensboro *       
10/17   at Averett *             
10/24   vs. Brevard *             
10/31   at N.C. Wesleyan *          
11/7      at Maryville (Tenn.) *          
11/14   vs. LaGrange *          

Hawks88

Hawks88

Last week Huntingdon announced plans to begin fall classes two weeks early, Aug 10, and finish the semester the week before Thanksgiving. They also plan to hold the 2020 graduation commencement on Oct.10 coinciding with Homecoming which was rescheduled from Oct. 24. 

SticksSharpe1980

Quote from: narch on August 16, 2005, 08:18:36 AM
let's start this off right...GO MONARCHS!

Since this will be my first post I want to say GO Quakes!

pat, does d3sports.com mean we might get coverage of some other sports (ie: baseball?) - thanks...new boards look great!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: SticksSharpe1980 on May 19, 2020, 10:29:17 AM
Quote from: narch on August 16, 2005, 08:18:36 AM
let's start this off right...GO MONARCHS!

Since this will be my first post I want to say GO Quakes!

pat, does d3sports.com mean we might get coverage of some other sports (ie: baseball?) - thanks...new boards look great!
Welcome Sticks. Glad to have you.

Hawks88

Hawks88

Huntingdon hires D.J. Barnett as their new D-Line coach. He was a D3football.com All-American for Huntingdon in 2012(as D.J. Chappell).

https://www.huntingdonhawks.com/sports/fball/2020-21/releases/20200616mh6fw5

Hawk'em!

newscot09

Quote from: Wild Horse Rider on March 17, 2020, 03:51:39 PM
The USAC turned 20 this past season.  I looked back at the top teams, top players, and top coaches.  I limited it to conference champs for the teams.  I limited it to POY or 1st team All Americans on d3 football site.  For the coaches I looked at the COY.

TEAMS:
1. 2015 Huntingdon 10-2 overall 7-0 in conference and made it to the second round of the playoffs
2. 2007 NCWC 9-3 overall 7-0 in conference and made it to the second round of the playoffs
3. 2004 CNU 9-3 overall 5-1 in conference and made it to the second round of the playoffs
4. 2005 Ferrum 9-2 overall 6-1 in conference and lost in the first round of the playoffs
5. 2017 Huntingdon 9-2 overall 7-0 in conference and lost in the first round of the playoffs
HM 2014 CNU 8-4 and lost in the second round of the playoffs
HM 2019 Huntingdon 8-4 and lost in the second round of the playoffs

Players:

Offense:
1. Marcus Mayo QB from Ferrum.  OPOY in 2010 and 2011 who was also a punt returner.  He was scary looking also.
2. Tunde Ogun RB from CNU.  2008 OPOY in conference and south region and a 1st team All American.  He was a D1 transfer and it showed.
3. Cedric Townsend QB from NCWC.  OPOY in 2006 and 2007.  Took NCWC to 2nd round of the playoffs.
4. Brian Mann RB from Ferrum.  OPOY in 2017 and would have likely repeated but Ferrum left for the ODAC his JR year.
5. Chris Roncketti QB from Methodist.  OPOY in 2005 and helped win a share of the conference title that year.
HM Malik Adams WR from NCWC.  OPOY in 2015 and owns most career yards and TDs in the conference

Defense:
1. Montel Lee DL from Ferrum.  DPOY in 2016 and 2017.  Owns conference record 39 career sacks.
2. Darren Venable DB from Ferrum.  DPOY in 2003 and 2004.  He played what they called the PIG in their defense and they moved him all over the field.
3. Antonio Johnson LB from NCWC.  DPOY in 2018 and 2019.  All around impressive stats but watch the games and he was always around the ball.
4. Rob Rodriguez DB from CNU.  DPOY in 2005 and 1st team All American in 2006.
5. Andre Carter LB from LaGrange.  DPOY in 2012 and 2013.  He seemed to be angry all the time.
HM DJ Chappell DL from Huntingdon.  1st team All American in 2012 and nearly impossible to block

Coach:
1. Matt Kelchner from CNU 7 time coach of the year
2. Mike Turk from Huntingdon 4 time coach of the year
I put Jim Sypult (19 years) from Methodist and Dan Davis (17 years) from Ferrum in the list also as long time coaches at their respective schools
I put Jack Ginn from NCWC and Mike Rader from Maryville in the list of coaches who in Ginn's case started the program or in Rader's case revived a program.  Both coaches parlayed their success into a job at scholarship programs

I would slide MC Scots 2013 into the mix 8-3 (6-1 Conference) and possibly RB Travis Felder 1242 yds, 5.6 ypc, 112 ypg, 22 td

Wild Horse Rider

2013 Maryville was a good squad.  That may have been one of the more impressive seasons the conference had as a whole (on the top end).  You had (8-2) CNU, (8-2) Methodist, and (7-3) Huntingdon to go alone with the Scots.  Offensive production between Huntingdon, LaGrange, Marville, and Methodist you could find at least one or in some cases multiple names in the top 10-20 in the nation.  Huntingdon had the most total yards per game followed by Methodist.  Maryville had the 8th most rushing yards per game.  LaGrange had the number one passing offense.  Somehow with all that CNU was 7th in the country in scoring defense with the rest of the conferences output.  Maryville just ran into a bit of bad luck with Hampden-Sydney and Nash Nance/Holton Walker QB/WR duo in the first round of the playoffs.

Maryville lost to Emory & Henry, Huntingdon, and Hampden-Sydney
Methodist lost to Emory & Henry and Maryville
CNU lost to Methodist and Maryville (but beat Hampden-Sydney earlier in the season)
Huntingdon lost to Wesley, LaGrange, and Methodist

And Felder was a heck of a player I'm not sure he made the cutoff of POY or All American.  One thing I have always been curious how much the scheme makes a difference for Maryville's running backs.  The offense that Coach Hayes runs is built of the foundation that Coach Rader brought with him in 2011.  Since then Felder, Shuler, Chenier, and Bunch have all topped 1,000 yards rushing on the season.  All 4 were great individual players but is it the X's and O's or the Jimmies and Joes so to speak.  It's fun to watch the O-line mess with their splits based on the play/defensive front.  Rader was also one of the first to bring in the RPO as a main part of the offense and not just a change up.  The threat that the screen/pass game added made for very light box counts which obviously helps the run. 

Hawks88

Quote from: Wild Horse Rider on June 25, 2020, 03:26:07 PM
2013 Maryville was a good squad.  That may have been one of the more impressive seasons the conference had as a whole (on the top end).  You had (8-2) CNU, (8-2) Methodist, and (7-3) Huntingdon to go alone with the Scots.  Offensive production between Huntingdon, LaGrange, Marville, and Methodist you could find at least one or in some cases multiple names in the top 10-20 in the nation.  Huntingdon had the most total yards per game followed by Methodist.  Maryville had the 8th most rushing yards per game.  LaGrange had the number one passing offense.  Somehow with all that CNU was 7th in the country in scoring defense with the rest of the conferences output.  Maryville just ran into a bit of bad luck with Hampden-Sydney and Nash Nance/Holton Walker QB/WR duo in the first round of the playoffs.

Maryville lost to Emory & Henry, Huntingdon, and Hampden-Sydney
Methodist lost to Emory & Henry and Maryville
CNU lost to Methodist and Maryville (but beat Hampden-Sydney earlier in the season)
Huntingdon lost to Wesley, LaGrange, and Methodist

And Felder was a heck of a player I'm not sure he made the cutoff of POY or All American.  One thing I have always been curious how much the scheme makes a difference for Maryville's running backs.  The offense that Coach Hayes runs is built of the foundation that Coach Rader brought with him in 2011.  Since then Felder, Shuler, Chenier, and Bunch have all topped 1,000 yards rushing on the season.  All 4 were great individual players but is it the X's and O's or the Jimmies and Joes so to speak.  It's fun to watch the O-line mess with their splits based on the play/defensive front.  Rader was also one of the first to bring in the RPO as a main part of the offense and not just a change up.  The threat that the screen/pass game added made for very light box counts which obviously helps the run.
It was amazing how Huntingdon put up those offensive numbers in 2013 with rotating QB's. Ryne Taylor and Taylor Hughes swapped in and out every two posessions all year. Check out how close their Total Offense Yds ended up being with Taylor getting more pass yards and Hughes being the third leading rusher. Unfortunately we didn't play a lot of defense that year so 7-3(scored 40+ in two of the losses).

TOTAL OFFENSE    GP    Plays    Rush    Pass    Total    Avg/G
Taylor Hughes     10     193       407      1590    1997  199.7
Ryne Taylor        10      234       93       1857     1950 195.0
Garrett Fletcher    10    160       809        0        809    80.9
Austin Bennett     7      117       697        0        697    99.6
John Iwaniec     7         61        271        0        271    38.7