FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HScoach

Quote from: SaintsFAN on August 29, 2014, 08:20:29 AM
HScoach --

are you receiving PM's?

No, I haven't received any.    I cleaned it out so try it again or send me an email.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

emma17

Quote from: PurpleSuit on August 28, 2014, 02:25:32 PM
Quote from: emma17 on August 28, 2014, 01:31:35 PM
Quote from: HScoach on August 28, 2014, 12:05:07 PM
The WR corps should be scary good.   The 2014 season simply hangs on the D-line.   They will be the difference between the Raiders being just really good or championship caliber.

Question from an outsider's view:
It seems the Mt posters are very high on the receiver corp this year, however, I didn't see the type of playmakers on the 2013 team I'm accustomed to seeing- does Mt have a guy(s) in the mold of the 3 previous studs?

Is there another NFL receiver on the roster? Probably not.  Namdar, Scott and a healthy Gainer will give Mount some playmakers on the outside.  Wilkinson gives a straight line deep threat.  Last year Meacham and Nichols were mainly underneath type receivers.  Only Nichols is leaving from last years group (Collichio too I guess). 

The depth at WR is going to be the strength, not having one top WR.  Meacham, Wilkinson, Gainer, Namdar, Scott are just the upperclassmen.  There were a couple of freshmen that played some varsity ball last year and a couple of transfers that could shake things up (Shimensky & Humphrey).

Pierre, Cecil and Jasper are going to keep Mount loaded at the position for the near future.

A year or two or three ago I think we discussed the idea of Mt winning national championships w NFL caliber players in the recent era (I'll say 2005 and on). 2005 and 06 -Garçon. 2008- Shorts and 2012- Collins. These were three guys that simply didn't have D3 defensive equals. 
I've no doubt the wide receiver corp is top notch D3 talent- but perhaps w/out the "unequaled" talent.
This is now Mt's second year without the NFL skilled position guy.

The partial theory here is that I do believe the D3 world is edging toward greater parity at the upper levels especially. It will be interesting to see if more D3 teams find success vs Mt now that the mostly unstoppable type player is not on the roster.
Granted Burke is close and certainly a cut above. But I still think he's D3 talent- great D3 yes, but D3 nevertheless.

mr_mom

Here we go again!

The 2014 OAC Pick-Ems will be starting up next week.  The contest is open to anyone, whether a regular on the OAC page or not.

We pick all the OAC games, plus a few national games of interest.  OAC league games are worth 2 points; national and non-conference games are worth 1 point.

All games are picked with spreads.  I'll be posting the spreads on Monday nights for that week's games. Obviously a pick must be in before the game kicks off.  Usually this means Saturday noon EST, but occasionally I will include a compelling Friday night game or two.  The week's results will be posted on Sunday morning.

When posting the picks, please be clear who you're picking.  "Bolding" is fine, but more elaborate methods confuse these old eyes of mine.

To recap the 2013 season, FCGrizzliesGrad ran away with the regular season championship.  The three stooges taking the post-season title were NCFbleedpurple, and [of course] Grizz

The endless Summer is over ... let's have some fun!
Mom
Never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity.

Knight Raider

NCF

Quote from: mr_mom on August 29, 2014, 09:35:41 PM
Here we go again!

The 2014 OAC Pick-Ems will be starting up next week.  The contest is open to anyone, whether a regular on the OAC page or not.

We pick all the OAC games, plus a few national games of interest.  OAC league games are worth 2 points; national and non-conference games are worth 1 point.

All games are picked with spreads.  I'll be posting the spreads on Monday nights for that week's games. Obviously a pick must be in before the game kicks off.  Usually this means Saturday noon EST, but occasionally I will include a compelling Friday night game or two.  The week's results will be posted on Sunday morning.

When posting the picks, please be clear who you're picking.  "Bolding" is fine, but more elaborate methods confuse these old eyes of mine.

To recap the 2013 season, FCGrizzliesGrad ran away with the regular season championship.  The three stooges taking the post-season title were NCFbleedpurple, and [of course] Grizz

The endless Summer is over ... let's have some fun!
Mom

Hey, I resemble that remark ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.....................and summer should always be "endless" 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

PurpleSuit

Quote from: Knight Raider on August 30, 2014, 01:31:06 PM
The new Mount Union Varsity Roster is up. 
http://athletics.mountunion.edu/sports/fball/2014-15/roster

Mason Minnich flipped over to DB and first official mention of the LB transfer from Toledo

Dr. Acula

Quote from: PurpleSuit on August 30, 2014, 04:08:21 PM
Quote from: Knight Raider on August 30, 2014, 01:31:06 PM
The new Mount Union Varsity Roster is up. 
http://athletics.mountunion.edu/sports/fball/2014-15/roster

Mason Minnich flipped over to DB and first official mention of the LB transfer from Toledo

Good eye.  I didn't even notice Minnich switched. Makes sense why he didn't get any carries Thursday!

Now that the numbers are included I can add that Nick Rodriguez started at corner. Hiteshue started at safety I believe.  Sullins rotated in also. 

formerd3db

just to add to the previous conversations about DIII players in the NFL, I posted this over on our MIAA board, yet thought I'd share this here for those who may have not seen it.

Some disappointing news...the Detroit Lions waived former All-MIAA Albion College CB Chris Greenwood yesterday.  Unfortunately, he wasn't even signed to the 10-man practice squad today either.  I (as did many others) really thought that this would be his "break-out" year after two injured seasons (on IR his first and last year on-off the practice squad/regular roster while recovering). He played well in the pre-season games and it came down to the last cut.  I also thought he would at least be signed to the practice squad (where he was on-off last year while recovering, although was on the official roster part of the time.  Anyway, I hope he is able to land with another team. 

"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

PurpleSuit

Add Kyle Miller and Mike Preston to the list of D3 cuts this week.

reality check

We opened our HS season out here in AZ this Friday.  I am in a D-III wasteland out here in AZ but I'm pleased to say my JV OL coach is a Willamette grad (2011) and our Director of Football Op's (yes, we actually have one of those) was a three-year starter at Whitewater in the early 70's. 

Anyways, I'm coaching the varsity o-line and am fortunate to have some big boys and a talented back.  We average 6'3", 265 lbs across the line and they like to get after it.  I'm blessed with good kids.  We won Friday by a final of 70-29 and put up 737 yards of total offense (494 rushing and 243 passing).  RB ran for a school record 290 yards on 25 carries. 

Just wanted to brag on my boys a little.  They deserve some love because this program has had 4 new head coaches in 4 years and is not getting any attention locally.
OAC Champs: 1942 (one title ties us with Ohio State)
OAC Runners-Up: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2010, 2009, 2005, 2004, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1982, 1941 (Stupid Mount Union!)
MOL Champs: 1952, 1950

Desertraider

Quote from: PurpleSuit on August 31, 2014, 09:44:18 PM

I saw that kyle and jasper were cut/waived. But just saw the the Falcons signed Kyle to the practice squad
http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/9/1/6093157/falcons-practice-squad-team-adds-wr-freddie-martino-te-kyle-miller

I thought with all the problems CLE has at WR that Jasper would have a shot with them. Who knows? NFL aside - does anyone know if the SID at UMU will have a little more on the Mount JV this year? They never seem to even have scores posted.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

formerd3db

Quote from: desertraider on September 01, 2014, 12:56:27 PM
Quote from: PurpleSuit on August 31, 2014, 09:44:18 PM

I saw that kyle and jasper were cut/waived. But just saw the the Falcons signed Kyle to the practice squad
http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/9/1/6093157/falcons-practice-squad-team-adds-wr-freddie-martino-te-kyle-miller

I thought with all the problems CLE has at WR that Jasper would have a shot with them. Who knows? NFL aside - does anyone know if the SID at UMU will have a little more on the Mount JV this year? They never seem to even have scores posted.

Good to hear Kyle was signed to Atlanta's practice squad-thanks for the update.  Hopefully, the other guys will catch on with someone.  Regarding former Albion player Greenwood, one of our MIAA posters just mentioned that he was signed to the Minnesota Vikings practice squad, so hopefully he, too. will get a chance this season. I am still surprised Detroit did not keep him on their practice roster as again, he did well in pre-season.  Obviously, the Lions thought the other guys they kept would be better in the long-term and perhaps it was Greenwood's injury-prone history. 
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

BillyRayJimBob

Quote from: reality check on September 01, 2014, 12:06:03 AM
We opened our HS season out here in AZ this Friday.  I am in a D-III wasteland out here in AZ but I'm pleased to say my JV OL coach is a Willamette grad (2011) and our Director of Football Op's (yes, we actually have one of those) was a three-year starter at Whitewater in the early 70's. 

Anyways, I'm coaching the varsity o-line and am fortunate to have some big boys and a talented back.  We average 6'3", 265 lbs across the line and they like to get after it.  I'm blessed with good kids.  We won Friday by a final of 70-29 and put up 737 yards of total offense (494 rushing and 243 passing).  RB ran for a school record 290 yards on 25 carries. 

Just wanted to brag on my boys a little.  They deserve some love because this program has had 4 new head coaches in 4 years and is not getting any attention locally.

Good to hear it!
Hope you and your's are doing well.  How old is the little one now?
I owe you some wings ... somewhere/sometime.  We will cross paths again.
BREAK ... BREAK
Went to the Buckeyes-Navy game Saturday.   75% scarlet & gray.  Nobody heard of Mount Union except a guy with Muskingum ties.

formerd3db

Quote from: BillyRayJimBob on September 01, 2014, 04:06:52 PM
Quote from: reality check on September 01, 2014, 12:06:03 AM

Good to hear it!
Hope you and your's are doing well.  How old is the little one now?
I owe you some wings ... somewhere/sometime.  We will cross paths again.
BREAK ... BREAK
Went to the Buckeyes-Navy game Saturday.   75% scarlet & gray.  Nobody heard of Mount Union except a guy with Muskingum ties.

BRJB:

Those people are illiterate! ;D :o ;) :)

bceagle80

Quote from: formerd3db on August 31, 2014, 08:23:41 PM

just to add to the previous conversations about DIII players in the NFL, I posted this over on our MIAA board, yet thought I'd share this here for those who may have not seen it.

Some disappointing news...the Detroit Lions waived former All-MIAA Albion College CB Chris Greenwood yesterday.  Unfortunately, he wasn't even signed to the 10-man practice squad today either.  I (as did many others) really thought that this would be his "break-out" year after two injured seasons (on IR his first and last year on-off the practice squad/regular roster while recovering). He played well in the pre-season games and it came down to the last cut.  I also thought he would at least be signed to the practice squad (where he was on-off last year while recovering, although was on the official roster part of the time.  Anyway, I hope he is able to land with another team.

I liked Chris Greenwood's athleticism and thought he would be a quality defensive back in the NFL. I still do. Good for him that he caught on in Minnesota. I have seen guys who were injury prone early in there career do better as they gained more experience. I hope that is what happens for him.

I just spoke with my son and he figures he is in the middle of the pack of the OL on Junior Varsity. He mentioned sophomores came down to Junior Varsity recently and that there are 20 to 30 for them. Basically, he is third string right now. They measured his effectiveness in 2 inter-squad scrimmages. first at 54% and then at 65% for an improvement of 11 percentage points. 80% is where they want them to be. He is improving and still learning a system he was never exposed to before. He continues to work hard. Apparently, Junior Varsity is only taking 8 OL to Ashland on Sunday, so, at this time he does not expect to go to the game.