2019 NCAA Tournament

Started by Greek Tragedy, October 06, 2018, 10:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedro12

well, if you have to be in FW here are a few local places to eat.

within reasonable distance of the Coliseum:

Wu's - nicer local chinese restaurant with very good back menu.
Shigs in Pit - BBQ place about 5 minutes away.  Owned by a local microbrewery so they have their own beer on tap. reasonably priced.
Cork and Clever - steakhouse close to the coliseum with a good salad bar
Casa's - local italian chain across the street from the coliseum. nothing spectacular but good food and reasonably priced.
Baker Street- nicer restaurant with steaks and seafood close to the coliseum.
Burger Fi - Good local burger place that also serves beer. reasonably price.

Dupont Rd area north of coliseum:
Black Canyon - nicer restaurant with quality food.
lucky moose - pub feel with a good variety. reasonably priced.

Southwest FW:
Catablu - one of my favorites in town. nicer restaurant. they also usually have good items for special diets.
Eddie Merlot's - higher end steak house.  this is a chain but it is the original.

GoPerry

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 12, 2019, 04:17:30 PM
Per broadcasts ... CBS will show the championship on tape-delay, however ... there is still an obligation that the title game be shown LIVE online. As noted a few times on Hoopsville (to steal Greek's comment: come on, people!) ... who is doing that is still up in the air best I can tell. One option is that CBS will show their production, live, online and then show it again on TV on tape delay (and most likely delayed past 11pm to be honest). The other option is that NCAA.com (Tupelo-Raycom) will show the title game, live, online (featuring Brendan Gulick and myself who will be doing the semifinals and All-Star Game as well).

Either way ... the title game will be shown live ... online

Ok thanks for that info Dave.  What about the Friday semis?  Will those be streamed on NCAA.com?  Can they be viewed later ala Stretch OnDemand?  TV tape delayed? 

Sorry if you've already announced this and I missed it . . .

kiltedbryan

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 12, 2019, 04:17:30 PM
Per broadcasts ... CBS will show the championship on tape-delay, however ... there is still an obligation that the title game be shown LIVE online. As noted a few times on Hoopsville (to steal Greek's comment: come on, people!) ... who is doing that is still up in the air best I can tell. One option is that CBS will show their production, live, online and then show it again on TV on tape delay (and most likely delayed past 11pm to be honest). The other option is that NCAA.com (Tupelo-Raycom) will show the title game, live, online (featuring Brendan Gulick and myself who will be doing the semifinals and All-Star Game as well).

Either way ... the title game will be shown live ... online

Do you know if the live online broadcast will be free, or will there be a charge?

Pat Coleman

Semifinals will be streamed live, for free, as they have been for the past decade or so, yes.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 12, 2019, 02:40:24 PM
It's true. The '95 title matchup was the only unbeaten-vs.-unbeaten national championship game in D3 history.
But the statement said in NCAA history which I took to mean all levels which is why I wasn't sure if it was completely true.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: pedro12 on March 12, 2019, 06:09:44 PM
well, if you have to be in FW here are a few local places to eat.

within reasonable distance of the Coliseum:

Wu's - nicer local chinese restaurant with very good back menu.
Shigs in Pit - BBQ place about 5 minutes away.  Owned by a local microbrewery so they have their own beer on tap. reasonably priced.
Cork and Clever - steakhouse close to the coliseum with a good salad bar
Casa's - local italian chain across the street from the coliseum. nothing spectacular but good food and reasonably priced.
Baker Street- nicer restaurant with steaks and seafood close to the coliseum.
Burger Fi - Good local burger place that also serves beer. reasonably price.

Dupont Rd area north of coliseum:
Black Canyon - nicer restaurant with quality food.
lucky moose - pub feel with a good variety. reasonably priced.

Southwest FW:
Catablu - one of my favorites in town. nicer restaurant. they also usually have good items for special diets.
Eddie Merlot's - higher end steak house.  this is a chain but it is the original.

Thanks for the post. When we went to Salem, we used Mac and Bob's as our go-to place to eat after Friday's games and before Saturday's games. It had a hint of that Sports Bar feel because it had a bar area with a few televisions. It was nicer because there weren't flat screens all over the place and you could still find a quiet corner if that's what you wanted. I have a kid, so we'll steer clear of those "nicer" places. Sounds like the Lucky Moose is something we'll check out.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

CNU85

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 12, 2019, 03:17:06 PM
Quote from: CNU85 on March 12, 2019, 02:46:08 PM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 12, 2019, 12:12:56 PM
I was thinking of coming up with a place and time to meet up with fellow posters. A late night meal after the 2nd game on Friday or a lunch time meet before the All-Star game on Saturday...

That would be cool. some ideas....There is an Italian place right across the street. Casa Ristorante. However...per the Fort Wayne page, that is the gathering spot for CNU faithful. There is a Ruby Tuesday across the street (but everyone has one of those).  Or...8/10 mile away is Granite City Food and Brewery.

What's this page you talk of? Is there an unofficial place for all the teams?

Here is the page I was referring to......it gives hangout places for fans of each team.

https://www.visitfortwayne.com/ncaa/

CNU85

Quote from: WUPHF on March 12, 2019, 05:07:47 PM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 12, 2019, 04:01:17 PM

PARKING
CASH ONLY & SINGLE ENTRY
$6 MAIN LOT; $10 PREFERRED LOT; $18 BUS/RV[/i]

Really? Come on Fort Wayne...

Not to mention, they have a Tim Horton's coffee in the coliseum. Blech!

The idea of a parking lot and an upgraded lot is a little crazy.

So Tim Horton is not so great, huh? I noticed there are tons of them in Fort Wayne. Was hoping for a nice morning donut.

pedro12

a few more places:

cebollas - mexican, fast service, reasonably price, close to the arena, my favorite salsa
wings etc. - a little farther north on dupont rd, reasonably price with good wings and a full bar style menu
liberty diner - my favorite breakfast place.  on the west side of coliseum blvd.

donuts:
tom's donuts - south of the coliseum
rise and roll - north of the coliseum on dupont rd.  amish made donuts.  they are a little sweet for me but very popular.
Leo Donuts - Northeast of end of dupont rd almost out of town.

WUPHF

Quote from: CNU85 on March 13, 2019, 08:16:47 AM
So Tim Horton is not so great, huh?

Apparently, they are good if you are from north of the border, but not a place I can recommend for coffee or donuts.  Try one of the other spots mentioned. 

GoPerry

Quote from: CNU85 on March 13, 2019, 08:12:53 AM
I was thinking of coming up with a place and time to meet up with fellow posters. A late night meal after the 2nd game on Friday or a lunch time meet before the All-Star game on Saturday...

That would be cool. some ideas....There is an Italian place right across the street. Casa Ristorante. However...per the Fort Wayne page, that is the gathering spot for CNU faithful. There is a Ruby Tuesday across the street (but everyone has one of those).  Or...8/10 mile away is Granite City Food and Brewery.

Here is the page I was referring to......it gives hangout places for fans of each team.

The owner of the Acme Bar and Grill drew the short straw as the designated Wheaton fan spot!  The Sprite, Coke and Iced Tea sales should do well though.

Greek Tragedy

So why does CNU get a fancy Italian restaurant while Wheaton and Swarthmore gets a sports bar and Oshkosh fans get The Pub? LOL
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Gregory Sager

Quote from: GoPerry on March 13, 2019, 09:53:37 AM
Quote from: CNU85 on March 13, 2019, 08:12:53 AM

The owner of the Acme Bar and Grill drew the short straw as the designated Wheaton fan spot!  The Sprite, Coke and Iced Tea sales should do well though.

Yeah, I immediately started snickering when I saw which establishment was hosting Wheaton fans. I'm not even sure that the Acme Bar & Grill is going to do well with Sprite, Coke, and iced tea sales. I suspect that a hefty percentage of the Wheaton fanbase will avoid altogether any bistro that has "bar" as the second word in its name.

The owner of the Acme Bar & Grill is obviously this guy:

... and he's about to see his drink profits go over the cliff this weekend.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 13, 2019, 11:31:02 AM
So why does CNU get a fancy Italian restaurant while Wheaton and Swarthmore gets a sports bar and Oshkosh fans get The Pub? LOL

Maybe because CNU has to come the farthest they get the venue across the street from the game?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

CNU85

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 13, 2019, 11:31:02 AM

Mama always told me I was special!