MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amish Allstar

Big game at the Mayser Center tonight.  Gburg vs. F&M.  Place should be packed

Reserved Seat

cc_fan

I hope Ursinus can still hold onto first place in the Centennial Conference.  They lost a tough game to Washington last night to end their winning streak.

patcummings

The CC men and women are wide open...Ursinus led WC by 6 at the half and WC then opened up the 2nd half with a 27-9 run, only to blow a 15 point lead and then a 7 pt lead with 30 seconds remaining.  They were lucky to get a big OT win after nearly blowing it at the end...

This weekend, the Centennial Conference Basketball Network will be in Chestertown for a major game in the men's standings as Gettysburg travels to Washington. 

Women's game leads off at 2pm, men at 4pm...pregame at 1:50.  Go to http://www.centennial.org for more.

swish

What happened to all the F&M fans. Are you conceding we're out of it or are you holding your collective breath? If we beat Dickinson tonight I like us to run the regular season table and make the play-offs. I am holding my breath - BIG TIME.

swish

My picks for tonight-

Haverford over Washington

Gettysburg over Ursinus

Swarthmore over Muhlenberg

Hopkins over McDaniel

bearsfan1

I think that UC survives G'burg tonight by 2-3 points.  Looking forward to Saturday's showdown for first against Hopkins

Reserved Seat

3 out of 4 should be enough to earn F&M a play-off spot

r.w. mcnickels

Quote from: Reserved Seat on February 08, 2006, 02:43:46 PM
3 out of 4 should be enough to earn F&M a play-off spot

How can you say that F&M still has a good shot even if they lose another game?  They have to pass three teams in the standings with just four games left.  They can't afford a single loss.  The Dips will need a near miracle if they lose another game.  Things will clear up a bit after tonight, but F&M can't afford any more losses.

fritzdis

Now that Haverford and Muhlenberg have both moved to 7-8, I think it's clear that 8-10 won't get F&M into the playoffs without a LOT of help.

Haverford is a poor road team and has 2 away games remaining, but they also get 2 games with the bottom 2 teams in the conference.  I can't imagine them winning AT Ursinus, so if they somehow don't take care of business against Dickinson or Swarthmore, they could still finish 8-10, but 7-11 is almost out of the question.

Muhleberg has 2 games left at home, where they are 9-1 this season.  They'll almost surely take care of McDaniel at home, but Ursinus will be difficult, particularly if Ursinus taking 1st in the conference depends on that game.  In between those 2 home games, they play AT Dickinson, which may be a toss-up.  8-10 is possible for them too, but I'd say 9-9 is more likely.

Both McDaniel and Washington College COULD finish 8-10, but the chances are very slim.  McDaniel is 1-9 on the road this year and has away games against both F&M and Muhleberg remaining, and their final home game is not a gimme against WC.  I doubt they can manage 2-1 (and if they did, it would probably include a victory at F&M, which would make F&M's chances of finishing 8-10 almost nil).  WC gets 2 home games, including 1 against Swarthmore, and a winnable road game at McDaniel.  I just can't see them losing all 3.

Even if Haverford and Muhlenberg both finish tied with F&M at 8-10, each of those 3 teams went 1-1 against each of the other 2, so the tiebreaker couldn't be decided based on head-to-head play.  The best chance F&M would have would be to beat Hopkins in the final game.  Even that wouldn't necessarily assure them of winning the tiebreaker if Muhlenberg beats Ursinus (or if Haverford somehow manages to pull off a huge upset AT Ursinus).

cc_fan

I can't wait for the Ursinus / Hopkins game this Saturday.  I hope Ursinus does not become too complacent and just shoot from the outside.  I think Ursinus is at their best when they penetrate and keep the big men involved.

bearsfan1

Based on the box score, UC seemed like it could anything they wanted against a very good defensive team like Gettysburg.  I think the loss to Washington and the first half against Dickinson might have finally sparked something in this team.  They have shot over 60% combined in the last three halves of basketball played.  I hope this carries over to Saturday because a strong start is going to be needed against Hopkins.  UC by 8 on Saturday

gordonmann

It's a full day of basketball on the Centennial Conference Basketball Network this weekend.

First there could be a whole lot at stake when the Ursinus Bears battle the Johns Hopkins Blue Jays in Collegeville.  First place...the regular season title...the right to host the conference tournament.

Pat Cummings will call the action with tip-off at 3 PM and pregame coverage at 2:50 PM.

Then it's a special evening battle as the Muhlenberg Mules and the McDaniel Green Terror fight for their playoff lives in Allentown.

I'll have the call with tip-off at 8 pm and pregame coverage at 7:50 PM.

In fact, it's so much fun, let's do it twice for each.  The women's game will precede each men's game at 1 PM (Ursinus-JHU) and 6 PM (Muhlenberg-McDaniel).

All games should hopefully be available through www.bcmonsters.com.

Programming on BroadcastMonsters.com requires Windows Media Player which is available for free down load here.

redpool

The UC/Hopkins game has benn moved to 2:00.  Women's game to 12:00.

r.w. mcnickels

Any adjustments to the game times of the F&M @ Washington doubleheader this afternoon?  The roads between Lancaster and Chestertown seem to be right in the bulls-eye of the heaviest predicted snowfall, which should be occurring later this afternoon.  Safe travels to all...