FB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formerd3db

Quote from: sac on January 29, 2017, 03:42:50 PM
Olivet punter Ryan Anderson has signed with Rutgers for his final year of eligibility.

Good for him!  And why not, if that is what he wants to do and has been offered the chance/opportunity to do so.  Not bad, going from DIII to the Big Ten.  I know a person who did that for his senior year "back in my day".    I wish him all the best.  Maybe we'll catch seeing him in a Big Ten game next season, assuming he wins the punting job.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: formerd3db on January 29, 2017, 06:27:10 PM
Olivet punter Ryan Anderson has signed with Rutgers for his final year of eligibility.

Good for him!  And why not, if that is what he wants to do and has been offered the chance/opportunity to do so.  Not bad, going from DIII to the Big Ten.  I know a person who did that for his senior year "back in my day".    I wish him all the best.  Maybe we'll catch seeing him in a Big Ten game next season, assuming he wins the punting job.

And it would be a job.  Rutger's goes 3-and-out with great regularity!

Quote from: sac on January 29, 2017, 06:06:31 PM
Quote from: sflzman on January 29, 2017, 04:29:47 PM

One could give a strong argument that this is a lateral move

Oh snap!

Except for (presumably) the scholarship, I'd be tempted to say it was a downward move! ;D  Admittedly, bigger crowds; but far less chance of celebrating victories.  (And only a slightly greater chance of being on TV - even the BTN rarely has Rutgers. ::))

sac

All Big Ten home games are carried by someone on the Big Ten's TV package.   ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews and of course BTN.   Non-Conference away games are picked up by that conferences TV contract carrier, for example the Rutgers game at Washington was on the Pac12 Network.  Some times that network is the same (BigTen and ACC have essentially the same access to ABC/ESPN).

Every Rutgers game last year was on TV, including 5 times on the BTN.
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-16/2016-rutgers-scarlet-knights-football-schedule.php

Since the Big Ten somtimes broadcasts 2 games in the same time slot on BTN and uses an overflow channel for the "out of market" game or slots games of little interest in the same time slot as a more important game,  you probably missed them several times.

Mr. Ypsi

Did not know that, since I would never seek out a Rutgers' game.  (Even if against Michigan, I'd probably check it out only if in the mood for guffaws and giggles - Rutgers is NOT Big Ten quality.)  I've never seen whether the Big Ten has gotten their desired penetration into the NYC market - my guess would be that few of them want to watch Rutgers either.

sac

Next year the Big Ten starts its new TV deal with FOX and ESPN.  One thing it means is some Friday night broadcasts and potentially more BTN broadcasts (its FOX that shares ownership of BTN with the Big Ten).  Some schools have nixed Friday games, Michigan is one of them. 

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2016/06/20/big-ten-tv-fox-espn/86135546/

FOX also has the rights to some Pac 12 and Big 12 games so it becomes a crowded network.   Big Ten games could be on FOX, FS1, FS2, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNews and BTN. 

Some things will be very different next Fall.

formerd3db

Hey Pat:

I just wanted to congratulate you on a very excellent article that you opined here regarding the news about the Stagg Bowl being moved from Salem.  I thought you presented the entire situation very well and explaining both sides of reasoning.  Certainly, the decision is somewhat melancholy in one sense, as it has been a great run at Salem, and no doubt you have some very close colleagues there over those years who have been responsible for the success of the Stagg's tenure there as well as your well-deserved treatment when you oversee your program and broadcast of the Stagg Bowl week and game.  However, I guess that, once again, this decision just proves that nothing lasts forever in this life and, while there are great memories at Salem, it is on to a new chapter in that history, which will provide new memories and experiences for all.  As you penned, however, certainly the next two new hosts have a big act to follow/some big shoes to fill (we can take our pick of these two old cliche phrases to use :)) Of course, time will tell.  Anyway, thanks again for a well-written and informative article and your experience/expertise in presenting and reflecting on the situation.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Pat Coleman

Thanks, I appreciate it. It was an easy piece to write because of my experience with it, but it wasn't fun to write, if you get my drift.

I had my first conversation with people running the show in Texas in 2018 and I'm looking forward to hearing more about their plans as they develop. Meanwhile, part of that conversation will be in next week's podcast.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Captain_Joe08

MIAA adds Finlandia as an affiliate.

http://www.d3football.com/notables/2017/05/finlandia-finds-a-home

Well this puts the MIAA-NACC Challenge in a awkward spot as the MIAA has 8 starting in 2018-19 and the NACC has 7. NACC has been looking to add an affiliate to even the series as a result. Makes WLC's travel to MIAA opponents when it was a football affiliate look tame in comparison.
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Captain_Joe08 on May 26, 2017, 01:30:39 PM

Well this puts the MIAA-NACC Challenge in a awkward spot as the MIAA has 8 starting in 2018-19 and the NACC has 7. NACC has been looking to add an affiliate to even the series as a result. Makes WLC's travel to MIAA opponents when it was a football affiliate look tame in comparison.

As we note in the story, we've been hearing that the NACC is expecting to add a team.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Captain_Joe08

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 26, 2017, 09:59:55 PM
Quote from: Captain_Joe08 on May 26, 2017, 01:30:39 PM

As we note in the story, we've been hearing that the NACC is expecting to add a team.

The popular question is who? Could it be from the UMAC (any of the former IBFC?)?
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions

DBQ1965

I used to have to go to Houghton-Hancock ... and Calumet, home of The Gipper ... once a year as part of my work.  It will be a long road trip for the MIAA school and for Finlandia, and  I have been in some serious snow storms in mid-October up there.  Still, it will be good to see the Blue and White Lions below the Bridge.
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

jknezek

I put this up in the ODAC thread because we are having our own issues with a 7 team conference. But it has google map distances for Finlandia to MIAA football schools. For a conference that was wonderfully compact, I guess it isn't a real hardship to add one ugly travel conference game every other season. But those kids from Finlandia... yikes. Sul Ross State type territory for bus rides. Then again, anything is better than being an independent I suppose.

On another note, another 7 team conference added a member. The MIAA sucked it up and brought in Finlandia. If you want to know how far other conferences are willing to go, Finlandia to Adrian is 565 miles, 9:23 hours by Google maps. Albion is 9 hours away, Alma is 445, 7.5 hours, 530, 8:55 from Hope, 553, 9:12 from Kalamazoo, 8:41, 526 from Olivet, and 586, 9:34 from Trine.

So a conference whose previous longest road trip was probably something like Trine to Alma, 2:11, 145 miles, just picked up a team probably close to 9 hours, average, from the rest of the conference. Would you rather do an OOC road trip to New England once a year or lock in this kind of conference member until they find another option?

Just for kicks, Trine to W&L was 535, 8:44. They are actually closer to W&L than to their new conference member. Shame the ODAC just lost a 7 team conference they maybe could have worked with, even given long trips. Alma came to W&L the year before Shenandoah joined, so it shows the MIAA maybe would have been amenable.

formerd3db

I know one of the players on Finlandia's roster and he told me a few weeks ago that this was in the works.  They are still going through some changes/transition as a new program there in coaching staff and player retention as many left after this last season (sadly, a fair number due to academic difficulties i.e. read poor grades and others due to some attitude adjustment problems in a couple of areas.  That said,, as a young program, they are working hard to overcome these challenges and the school is committed to the program.  Coaching staff is becoming stable. 

Realistically, Finlandia did not really have many options as far as a conference was concerned.  Staying an independent for a school that small and far away would have been suicide.  Aside from the MIAA, the only other option they would have had would be the NACC conference in Wisconsin and that still would have meant considerable travel for the 5 away games.  Being that Finlandia has a good history in playing MIAA teams in other sports, this was a good move, similar to the Wisconsin Lutheran affiliate, which served a good purpose for both that school and the MIAA at that time.  Finlandia is having further improvements to their stadium.  Heck, as a school stadium, they had the artificial turf and electronic scoreboard first and those are big and important items.  Better permanent seating is in the works I am told and there was a new locker room building built next to the stadium.  All sounds good so far and we will welcome them into the league.

I hope they will be able to fill their schedule this year with at least 3 more games, hopefully 4. 

DBQ1965

Street and Smith out with D3 pre-season rankings.  Hope at #21.  Called a dark horse.  I know these rankings don't mean much, but it's fun to start discussions.
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

HansenRatings

Decided I'm going to spam every conference board with my preseason (non-returning-starter-adjusted) projections.

Team   Rating   Overall   Conference
Olivet   0.7172   6.4-3.6   4.2-1.8
Hope   0.6690   6.5-3.5   3.9-2.1
Adrian   0.5663   4.9-5.1   3.2-2.8
Trine   0.5456   6.1-3.9   3.0-3.0
Alma   0.5181   5.4-4.6   2.8-3.2
Albion   0.4826   4.2-5.8   2.7-3.3
Kazoo   0.2663   3.7-6.3   1.2-4.8

Street & Smith are braver than I am. Without anything close to a clear favorite in the conference, it seems really improbable that any one team could string together a bunch of non-conference wins and conference wins. I could see two different teams doing so, i.e. one team having good non-conference results and the other running the table in-conference, but doubtful one team could do both. Hope, playing Monmouth Week 1 (10% win probability), will probably be out the the Top 25 conversation sooner than they were ever actually in it.
Follow me on Twitter. I post fun graphs sometimes. @LogHanRatings