Author Topic: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association  (Read 1037531 times)

Offline formerd3db

• All-American
  • Go Hope!
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association
« Reply #9360 on: January 29, 2017, 06:27:10 pm »
Olivet punter Ryan Anderson has signed with Rutgers for his final year of eligibility.

Good for him!  And why not, if that is what he wants to do and has been offered the chance/opportunity to do so.  Not bad, going from DIII to the Big Ten.  I know a person who did that for his senior year "back in my day".    I wish him all the best.  Maybe we'll catch seeing him in a Big Ten game next season, assuming he wins the punting job.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Offline Mr. Ypsi

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #9361 on: January 29, 2017, 07:50:18 pm »
Olivet punter Ryan Anderson has signed with Rutgers for his final year of eligibility.

Good for him!  And why not, if that is what he wants to do and has been offered the chance/opportunity to do so.  Not bad, going from DIII to the Big Ten.  I know a person who did that for his senior year "back in my day".    I wish him all the best.  Maybe we'll catch seeing him in a Big Ten game next season, assuming he wins the punting job.

And it would be a job.  Rutger's goes 3-and-out with great regularity!

One could give a strong argument that this is a lateral move

Oh snap!

Except for (presumably) the scholarship, I'd be tempted to say it was a downward move! ;D  Admittedly, bigger crowds; but far less chance of celebrating victories.  (And only a slightly greater chance of being on TV - even the BTN rarely has Rutgers. ::))

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Rejoice in Hope
    • View Profile
    • Speaking of Alaska - my basketball blog
« Reply #9362 on: January 29, 2017, 09:17:03 pm »
All Big Ten home games are carried by someone on the Big Ten's TV package.   ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews and of course BTN.   Non-Conference away games are picked up by that conferences TV contract carrier, for example the Rutgers game at Washington was on the Pac12 Network.  Some times that network is the same (BigTen and ACC have essentially the same access to ABC/ESPN).

Every Rutgers game last year was on TV, including 5 times on the BTN.
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-16/2016-rutgers-scarlet-knights-football-schedule.php

Since the Big Ten somtimes broadcasts 2 games in the same time slot on BTN and uses an overflow channel for the "out of market" game or slots games of little interest in the same time slot as a more important game,  you probably missed them several times.
Give to Hope
Twitter

Now with 35.3% less posting

Offline Mr. Ypsi

• All-American
    • View Profile
« Reply #9363 on: January 29, 2017, 10:25:36 pm »
Did not know that, since I would never seek out a Rutgers' game.  (Even if against Michigan, I'd probably check it out only if in the mood for guffaws and giggles - Rutgers is NOT Big Ten quality.)  I've never seen whether the Big Ten has gotten their desired penetration into the NYC market - my guess would be that few of them want to watch Rutgers either.

Offline sac

• Hall of Fame
  • All-American
  • Rejoice in Hope
    • View Profile
    • Speaking of Alaska - my basketball blog
« Reply #9364 on: January 30, 2017, 01:55:16 am »
Next year the Big Ten starts its new TV deal with FOX and ESPN.  One thing it means is some Friday night broadcasts and potentially more BTN broadcasts (its FOX that shares ownership of BTN with the Big Ten).  Some schools have nixed Friday games, Michigan is one of them. 

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2016/06/20/big-ten-tv-fox-espn/86135546/

FOX also has the rights to some Pac 12 and Big 12 games so it becomes a crowded network.   Big Ten games could be on FOX, FS1, FS2, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNews and BTN. 

Some things will be very different next Fall.
Give to Hope
Twitter

Now with 35.3% less posting

Offline formerd3db

• All-American
  • Go Hope!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9365 on: April 20, 2017, 09:06:20 pm »
Hey Pat:

I just wanted to congratulate you on a very excellent article that you opined here regarding the news about the Stagg Bowl being moved from Salem.  I thought you presented the entire situation very well and explaining both sides of reasoning.  Certainly, the decision is somewhat melancholy in one sense, as it has been a great run at Salem, and no doubt you have some very close colleagues there over those years who have been responsible for the success of the Stagg's tenure there as well as your well-deserved treatment when you oversee your program and broadcast of the Stagg Bowl week and game.  However, I guess that, once again, this decision just proves that nothing lasts forever in this life and, while there are great memories at Salem, it is on to a new chapter in that history, which will provide new memories and experiences for all.  As you penned, however, certainly the next two new hosts have a big act to follow/some big shoes to fill (we can take our pick of these two old cliche phrases to use :)) Of course, time will tell.  Anyway, thanks again for a well-written and informative article and your experience/expertise in presenting and reflecting on the situation.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 09:10:11 pm by formerd3db »
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Offline Pat Coleman

• D3sports.com Guru
  • Administrator
  • All-American
  • Check the front page or FAQs before you ask.
    • View Profile
    • D3sports.com
« Reply #9366 on: April 21, 2017, 12:12:05 am »
Thanks, I appreciate it. It was an easy piece to write because of my experience with it, but it wasn't fun to write, if you get my drift.

I had my first conversation with people running the show in Texas in 2018 and I'm looking forward to hearing more about their plans as they develop. Meanwhile, part of that conversation will be in next week's podcast.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Let's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.