FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doolittledog

Quote from: 5 Words or Less on March 29, 2017, 11:19:22 PM
Boise State patented color turf  :o
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/11/sports/ncaafootball/boise-state-mounts-a-paper-defense-of-its-home-turf.html?_r=0

5WOL contemplating throwing in some additional coin to get blue colored turf installed at Carlson Stadium!  Realizes the potential trouble he could be in with the Mrs. if he did so  ;D

I suppose we should admire Boise State for realizing blue turf as the marketing tool it is...and also to realize the potential to trademark that for additional school revenue. 
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

doolittledog

Only 22 more weeks until the 2017 kicks off  ;D
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

HansenRatings

That seems like far too long. I tried watching doggone Aussie rules football last night just to get a football fix.
Follow me on Twitter. I post fun graphs sometimes. @LogHanRatings

doolittledog

Two Dubuque players named to the National Football Foundation Hampshire Honor Society.  Special shout out to Mr. Holmes, who graduated from our local high school. 

https://twitter.com/UDubuqueSports/status/849693728457543680

HansenRatings

Quote from: 5 Words or Less on April 10, 2017, 10:15:26 PM
Is free tuition sustainable?

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2017/04/10/New-York-approves-tuition-free-college-educations-for-middle-class/5871491820493/

Here's a Forbes article that questions that same thing. I took German language classes at Wartburg, and remembered that Germany had free college tuition, so that offers an interesting case study.

doolittledog

Interview with Luther HC Hafner.

https://twitter.com/Darinsvenson/status/852607239424798720

Talks spring practice.  Field turf coming to Carlson Stadium.  Hopes to have turf for this fall...but might end up 2018. 

doolittledog

Cedar Rapids and the Iowa Conference will be hosting 7 national championships.

4 baseball, 1 volleyball, 2 wrestling

https://twitter.com/IIACathletics/status/854383774926331908

doolittledog

Article from the Dubuque Telegraph-Herald noting Loras is using athletics in a bid to bolster enrollment.  This is the 1st of 4 articles over the next 4 Sunday's exploring recruiting at the 4 tri-states schools. Clarke, Dubuque, Loras, UW-Platteville.

http://www.telegraphherald.com/sports/local_sports/article_d6e438ae-f400-5ded-b5e0-f21e9f77e05f.html?utm_source=thonline&utm_medium=click_source&utm_campaign=left_column_news

From the article...

With 21 sanctioned sports to play on campus, there's plenty of opportunity for athletes to shine at Loras College. Duhawks athletic director Denise Udelhofen has put a number on it.

By next year, she's hoping to have 716 student-athletes. In other words, Udelhofen's goal is to get nearly half of Loras 1,600 enrollment playing a sport this coming fall. Should Loras hit that mark, it will have fully filled out its varsity and junior varsity teams.

"We know we can have a positive impact on enrollment, so we really tried to increase our numbers," said Udelhofen, a one-time Loras coach. "We went to every coach and asked what their max roster size is. That was our focus overall.

The AD is keeping roster sizes in mind, hoping to maximize every roster spot. There were just 555 athletes at Loras in 2014. That number spiked to 711 in 2017 — nearly at capacity — and Udelhofen hopes it will continue to rise.

HansenRatings

Thanks for the share. Those should be some interesting articles.

In other news, looks like the fiance and I are moving to Des Moines, so hopefully I'll be able to attend more than just 1 or 2 IIAC/Wartburg games next season.

doolittledog

The 2nd in a 4 part series from the Dubuque Telegraph-Herald about recruiting to small colleges.  Today they focus on Clarke, an NAIA school in Dubuque.

http://www.telegraphherald.com/sports/local_sports/article_7d2bd0eb-d79a-53a0-bd1a-2ee13008b906.html?utm_source=thonline&utm_medium=click_source&utm_campaign=left_column_news

From the article...

Like many institutions, Clarke administrators view athletics as a component for grooming overall enrollment. They anticipate the arrival of football to be a gamechanger in that respect, with President Joanne Burrows stating the launch is in-part a strategy to balance Clarke's 2:1 female-to-male student body.

Here's a look at other recruiting trends at Clarke University:
TRANSFERING POWERS
Clarke has been able to land 52 college transfers, with the Crusaders baseball team making particular use of athletes with some college experience. Out of the 41-man baseball roster more than half — 21 players — started college elsewhere. That's clearly paid off with the Crusaders re-setting the school mark for baseball wins in a season in 2017.
TRYING THE TRI-STATES
The Wisconsin-Illinois-Iowa region remains Clarke's biggest resource for athletes. Out of 314 total athletic participants, 226 (72 percent) are from one of these three states. Closer to home, 48 of Clarke's athletes (15.2 percent) are from the Dubuque/Tri-States region.

A higher percentage of its athletes come from outside the Iowa-Illinois-Wisconsin region, including 39 student-athletes from the Pacific Time Zone. Another 10 athletes are from outside the United States.
Even so, Clarke's bread-and-butter for recruiting remains within the region. Nearly three-quarters of its athletes are from Iowa, Illinois or Wisconsin. The Chicago region continues to be the university's main recruiting hotbed, with 57 athletes from within a 50-mile radius of the Windy City.

5 Words or Less

5 Words or Less

doolittledog

Here is an NAIA map from Wikipedia.  It's not quite up-to-date as it shows Menlo on there, and that school dropped football a few years ago. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football#/media/File:Map_of_National_Association_of_Intercollegiate_Athletics_schools_playing_college_football.png