FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doolittledog

Quote from: DBQ1965 on June 25, 2017, 07:17:37 PM
Quote from: doolittledog on June 24, 2017, 08:15:37 AM
70 days until the 1st weekend of football.  Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

On that note ... I just ordered the 2017 edition of Kickoff.  Have you?

Go Spartans!

I did as well.  And I added the gift option they have this year.  This site gives me a great excuse to slack off at work...and that is much appreciated  ;)
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

HansenRatings

I did the extra gift too. I don't remember what the cost was last year, but I thought it had been $15 anyways. $12 felt like a discount, and given how much I rely on Kickoff, I was more than willing to pay full price.
Follow me on Twitter. I post fun graphs sometimes. @LogHanRatings

Pat Coleman

Thanks, guys, we definitely appreciate the support!

$12 was the sticker price last year, too. Kickoff had a pretty good year last year but D3sports.com in general did not (mobile browsing, ad blockers key among the reasons even though traffic remained right in line with previous years). While we try to figure out how to tweak the business model to make it work better in this new environment, we greatly need the support and so far a number of fans have chosen to throw us the extra three dollars.

This is a long process we're near the beginning of, so it's heartwarming to see the support. Truly.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Fannosaurus Rex

Quote from: doolittledog on June 21, 2017, 12:35:59 PM
Quote from: 5 Words or Less on June 17, 2017, 10:42:13 AM
Some pre-2011 turf having issues

Quote"Duraspine (product marketed by FieldTurf) is not all that it's cracked up to be especially in terms of wear resistance." FieldTurf co-founder John Gilman
http://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/business/tattered-turf-leads-to-lawsuits-nationally-annoyance-in-iowa-20170611

So in the late 80's there was a great rush of D1 schools going from turf, to grass citing safety concerns. Then in the early part of the millennium those same schools running back to turf, citing safety concerns and most D3 schools joined them in moving to turf.  I wonder how long it will take for grass to become popular again...because of safety?
Wasn't the stuff they tore up back in the 80's Astroturf?  And wasn't that just pretty much concrete painted green?
"It ain't what ya do, it's the way how ya do it.  It ain't what ya eat, it's the way how ya chew it."  Little Richard

doolittledog

Quote from: Fannosaurus Rex on June 27, 2017, 06:48:24 AM
Quote from: doolittledog on June 21, 2017, 12:35:59 PM
Quote from: 5 Words or Less on June 17, 2017, 10:42:13 AM
Some pre-2011 turf having issues

Quote"Duraspine (product marketed by FieldTurf) is not all that it's cracked up to be especially in terms of wear resistance." FieldTurf co-founder John Gilman
http://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/business/tattered-turf-leads-to-lawsuits-nationally-annoyance-in-iowa-20170611

So in the late 80's there was a great rush of D1 schools going from turf, to grass citing safety concerns. Then in the early part of the millennium those same schools running back to turf, citing safety concerns and most D3 schools joined them in moving to turf.  I wonder how long it will take for grass to become popular again...because of safety?
Wasn't the stuff they tore up back in the 80's Astroturf?  And wasn't that just pretty much concrete painted green?

True about the old astroturf.  I think the advantage of turf is not having any mud bowl games like we have seen at Luther, and at Coe that have been talked about on here.  You actually get to see a football game on turf.  As far as scientific studies, those can often get skewed towards one side of an argument.  Safety for turf vs. grass? Cost for turf vs. grass?  I have my doubts towards any study results anymore no matter which side of the aisle they fall on...but I am an old grumpy man that doubts the validity of any study he reads these days  ;)
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

HansenRatings

Quote from: doolittledog on June 27, 2017, 08:46:41 AM
As far as scientific studies, those can often get skewed towards one side of an argument.  Safety for turf vs. grass? Cost for turf vs. grass?  I have my doubts towards any study results anymore no matter which side of the aisle they fall on...but I am an old grumpy man that doubts the validity of any study he reads these days  ;)

Not a bad mantra, honestly. If there's only one study on it, doubt it, especially if there's another directly contradicting it. If there's dozens or hundreds of studies all saying the same thing, though... probably okay to trust them.

doolittledog

HansenRatings did a blog post about turnover luck.  We have often talked on here about when the opposing team gets a turnover it was luck, and when our team gets a turnover it was skill.  Well, he breaks it down into stats for us...

http://loganahansen21.wixsite.com/hansen-ratings/single-post/2017/07/02/Better-Lucky-than-Good-Best-to-be-Both

HansenRatings

Thanks for the post Doolittle. I was planning on putting it up here this morning. I was off-grid a bit for the Fourth. Hope everyone had a good extended weekend!

doolittledog

doolittledog

55 days until the 2017 season kicks off...53 if you are BVU

31 days until camp opens at UD...I imagine most other schools are within a few days of that

doolittledog

doolittledog

Fannosaurus Rex

They can't change that stuff!  We old guys can't cope!
"It ain't what ya do, it's the way how ya do it.  It ain't what ya eat, it's the way how ya chew it."  Little Richard

DBQ1965

Quote from: Fannosaurus Rex on July 22, 2017, 12:55:31 PM
They can't change that stuff!  We old guys can't cope!

Alas, old guys can cope.  From the simple, straightforward blue-and-white of the 60s Spartans to the contemporary uniforms of the 21st century Spartans, I relish the successes of any era.  GO BLUE!
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

HansenRatings

Quote from: doolittledog on July 21, 2017, 02:47:14 PM
Central unveils new athletics look.

https://athletics.central.edu/news/2017/7/19/general-information-central-unveils-fresh-athletics-look.aspx

My first reaction was a little "ugh," but I think I actually like it more than the old monogram "C"--at least this one is distinctly Central, and not a rip off of the University of Chicago (and then the Bears, and then the Reds, etc.). I am a big fan of script lettering for baseball though, and it appears they aren't having any of that.