FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USee

Quote from: wally_wabash on November 07, 2018, 08:50:34 PM
Quote from: wheels81 on November 07, 2018, 04:08:32 PM
Wheaton and IWU have the #1 and #3 highest strength of schedules respectively.  How much is that taken into consideration?

Source?

obviously an error. They #4 and #15 in the current NCAA SOS rankings. And its only taken into consideration when you beat teams you are supposed to beat. Hobart has the #1 SOS in the land and the consideration for that is zero.

tf37

Quote from: USee on November 07, 2018, 09:21:07 PM
Wheaton and IWU have the #1 and #3 highest strength of schedules respectively.  How much is that taken into consideration?

Source?

obviously an error. They #4 and #15 in the current NCAA SOS rankings. And its only taken into consideration when you beat teams you are supposed to beat. Hobart has the #1 SOS in the land and the consideration for that is zero.

I would guess wheels81 was looking at the 40 teams listed on the RR page (UWW would be #2) and not the actual SOS page itself.

AndOne

Going into the season's final regular season game, North Central is starting just one senior on offense, and only two on defense. Their two-deep features a plethora of freshmen and sophomores. Naturally, the team wouldn't agree, but it seems they've preformed at a level which belies their relative youth. 🤔

* Just in case anybody is wondering, the above post was meant as a compliment, not anything derogatory.  :)

79jaybird

So you're telling me there IS a chance   :o  (cue Jim Carey)

Unfortunately, appears the CCIW may be a victim of their own parity this year.   :-[

VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

wheels81

Quote from: tf37 on November 07, 2018, 09:38:15 PM
Quote from: USee on November 07, 2018, 09:21:07 PM

Source?

I would guess wheels81 was looking at the 40 teams listed on the RR page (UWW would be #2) and not the actual SOS page itself.
Yup
Sorry for the confusion. I thought this was inferred given that I posted it close to Mr. Colemans' link to the regional rankings.  Really disappointed USee didn't catch this  ;D

"I am what I am"  PTSM

USee

CardinalAlum

D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

Gregory Sager

My first thought upon waking up today was, "The heater in the press box had better be working."
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwu70

Good luck, Greg, stay warm.  For that similar reason, I decided not to make the trip up for the game today.  I'll watch/listen from the cozy warmth of Ames Library.

Go TITANS!

'70

duckfan41

79-0 final from McCully Stadium. Two defensive touchdowns and a safety. To my knowledge every senior who could play saw the field today. Unfortunate reality is since the Thunder laid an egg at WashU, they have outsfored their opponents 205-6, but two losses will keep them out of the playoffs.

This senior class has done so much for the Thunder football program and their legacy has certainly been stamped on the younger guys. They will be missed but they are leaving the program in great shape behind them with the leadership and grit they played with every snap.

iwu70

IWU over NPU 40-13

Congrats to the TITANS and the Coaching Staff, CCIW CO-Champions. 

Total yardage 526
Bauer 431 passing yards and 5 TDs
Healy 166 and 3 TDs
Zigulick 141 receiving yards
Alexander 100 yards rushing.

A great season, Co-Champs, at 8-2.

Now we wait.  A berth unlikely, but we can hope.

IWU'70

P.S.  Great call of the game by Greg Sager, as always,

Titan Q

Congratulations to the Titans for winning a share of the CCIW title for the second consecutive year.  This team has been a pleasure to watch all season long.

Really great job by Norm Eash and his staff this year.

Augie6

Another disappointing end to an Augie season.  They had a chance to win their last game at home and finish with the first non losing season in Coach Bell's tenure, and got completely dominated by Carthage, 38-9. Over the past four seasons, Augie has 9 wins in the CCIW, with 0 wins against NCC, IWU, Wheaton, Carthage and WashU.  They have managed 1 win vs Millikin and the rest have come against Elmhurst and NPU (3 each) and Carroll (2).  One of the things that really bothers me is comparing the Augie program to Millikin.  In 2015 (Bell's first season) Augie beat Millikin 42-10 and Millikin finished the season 2-8.  For the 2016 season, Millikin made a coaching change and Augie hasn't beaten them since.  Millikin had one winning record in the 12 years before Gritti took over and, since then, Millikin has gone 4-6, 7-3 and 6-4. I think there has to be some questions asked on why Millikin has been able to make a pretty decent turnaround in 3 years under Gritti, and Augie doesn't seem to be getting it turned around, at all, over the past 4 seasons.  I believe that Augie has advantages over Millikin in terms of tradition, facilities, etc, but this is not translating to wins under Coach Bell.

Augie was clearly improved this year over last season, but that's not really much of an achievement, since last season was the worst season in the history of the program (winning % wise).  The bottom line is, Augie was 5-5 the 3 seasons prior to Cushman "resigning" and Bell taking over, and Augie has yet to achieve even a .500 record, since then.  Cushman's 4 year record was 17-23 and Coach Bell's is 12-28.  Not sure how you make a case that this program is in better shape than it was 4 years ago.  If you watch the games, what is clear is that they are not able to recruit the type of talent needed to compete with the upper echelon of the CCIW.  This is evident when you look at the all CCIW selections over the past few years.  Maybe it will change this year, but there is not one player that has been recruited by Coach Bell, that has achieved any level of all CCIW recognition since he took over.  Until that changes, Augie will continue to finish closer to the bottom than the top of the CCIW standings. 

It will be interesting to see what happens now that the season is over. Augustana athletic director Mike Zapolski said the following in on of the QC papers, at the end of last season.   "Bell is in good stead with the program. But Year 4 with a program full of his own recruits is an important one to show strides." I guess we'll soon know what he means by "showing strides". 
Augie Football:  CCIW Champions:  1949-66-68-75-81-82-83-84-85-86-87-88-90-91-93-94-97-99-01-05-06     NCAA Champions:  1983-84-85-86

Gregory Sager

Thanks, Mark.

NPU was going to need to play a perfect game just to hang around in this one, but the fact that that clearly wasn't going to happen was made apparent on the first two possessions by the Vikings. One ended in a pass that bounced off of the North Park receiver's shoulder pad and into the waiting hands of a nearby Titan; the other ended before it began when the NPU up-man on the punt return team didn't turn around to see the high, short punt by the IWU punter and had the ball bounce off of the back of his helmet, leading to a Titans recovery rather than a midfield drive start for the Vikings. In both cases the Titans took the ball to the house on their ensuing possessions. Compounded by a pair of IWU touchdown receptions in which nobody bothered to cover the receiver who caught the pass, it was a case of the Vikings making it much too easy for a team that certainly needs no help to score points.

On 4th down from the NPU 15 with 9:20 to go in the ballgame and the win in the bag already for the Titans with the score 32-6, Norm Eash elected to go for it rather than kick a field goal. The Titans scored a TD on the play, and then, to add insult to injury, Eash elected to go for two points -- which the Titans got, to make the score 40-6. This led to a lot of speculation by members of the NPU athletic staff in the press box. Was Eash trying to run up the score in an attempt to impress the national committee that holds in its hands whatever slim chances IWU has of a Pool C berth? Was it retribution for the fact that IWU only scored 18 points at home against North Park in last season's heatwave game in Bloomington? Was it Norm's payback for Mike Conway's having the temerity to beat him three seasons ago and make him look bad? Who knows? I kept the speculation to myself rather than airing it. I actually had less of a problem with his choosing to go for two points, as David Simmons ended his career with a crazy three blocked PATs today. One can hardly blame the IWU coaching staff for not wanting to give Simmons a chance to block a fourth one. He came within inches of blocking a punt today as well, which would've tied an NCAA record for most blocked kicks (all types) in a game. I've lost track of how many kicks Simmons blocked in his remarkable career, but whatever it is, it's an impressive number.

He will certainly be missed, as will several other Vikings who ended their careers in fine style on Senior Day. Quentin Voce, an undersized D-lineman who is all heart and raw nerves, had a pair of sacks and four tackles for loss. And Uluao Letuli, who I'm pretty sure had his parents in the stands for the first time in his college career, as they flew in from American Samoa for Senior Day, had 11 tackles, one for a loss. A big thank-you to all fourteen Vikings seniors for their hard work over the past four seasons.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Quote from: duckfan41 on November 10, 2018, 04:36:24 PM
79-0 final from McCully Stadium.

Good grief. Tell me that there was at least a running clock in the fourth quarter.