BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hockeyfan77

Quote from: Purple Heys on February 22, 2018, 08:08:27 PM
Castleton shows a lot of guts scheduling 6 games in 5 days.  Not many coaches would do that.  My cap is tipped to them.

I hope their SCIAC tour helps set them up for later season success.

NAC Champs 4 years running, averaging over 30 wins a year...they are doing something right in Vermont.

Yeah, they play in one of the worst conference in probably all of D3: lets see if the can handle playing in the LEC...Any LEC team would have 30 wins in that conference

Purple Heys

You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

MIFDad

They might have to break up the Poets.  Maybe the Tigers too.

If they both do well today it should be a very interesting season.

Jack Parkman

Chapman, Whittier, and Oxy all won Friday and were swept today.  La Verne swept Caltech and CMS got smoked twice by Puget Sound.  I think the only thing that I can figure out right now is the SCIAC is very balanced and everyone is going to beat up on each other.

Purple Heys

Jack Parkman

Quick breakdown of the Oxy/Cal Lu series.

Friday- Oxy put pressure on Cal Lu all day long and got a huge performance from Reid Gibbs who went 4-5 with 3 doubles, 2 RBI, and 2 runs scored.  After a shaky 1st inning that easily could have been worse, Josh Cohen settled down and threw a CG to save the bullpen.  Oxy came up with some big hits late in the game to ice it.

Saturday- Oxy came out hot in the 1st inning of game 1 where they scored 3 runs on 3 hits to take an early lead.  From that point on, Cal Lu pitchers gave up a total of 8 hits (1 double and 7 singles), 0 runs, and had 22 strikeouts over the next 17 innings.  Oxy was still ahead 3-2 going into the 7th of game 1 but Cal Lu jumped all over them by scoring 10 runs over the next 3 innings.

Game 2 was a dominant pitching performance by Cal Lu.  Throwing a 5 hit shutout is good at any level.  Oxy made a few errors early that really hurt them and allowed Cal Lu to score a few runs early.

Cal Lu came into the year ranked #2 due to winning it all last year.  This really is a brand new team and they still have a ton to figure out but hopefully this is the kind of weekend that can get them going.  in 2017, Cal Lu was 3-4 after the Friday game at Oxy.  They came out the next day and started a stretch of playing really good baseball while going 37-7 over their last 44 games.  I hope they can continue that momentum into next weekend against a tough Redlands squad.

Mike Lehman

Quote from: Jack Parkman on February 24, 2018, 10:15:42 PM
Chapman, Whittier, and Oxy all won Friday and were swept today.  La Verne swept Caltech and CMS got smoked twice by Puget Sound.  I think the only thing that I can figure out right now is the SCIAC is very balanced and everyone is going to beat up on each other.
Chapman has to pick it up or will miss the SCIAC playoffs...A real mystery on who will come out on top of the SCIAC in 2018.

Purple Heys

It is an interesting scene to see Whittier leaving the UofR disappointed that they "only" won 1 game this weekend.  Redlands got through it though but it was more difficult than they expected.

No easy weekends in the SCIAC.

Mike Lehman

Quote from: Purple Heys on February 26, 2018, 11:31:16 AM
It is an interesting scene to see Whittier leaving the UofR disappointed that they "only" won 1 game this weekend.  Redlands got through it though but it was more difficult than they expected.

Chapman and Cal Lu sitting near the bottom so far in SCIAC play. Both could miss the SCIAC playoffs unless they turn things around.
http://www.thesciac.org/sports/bsb/2017-18/standings

Purple Heys

Poets break conference losing skid, taking Game 1 from Chapman 2-1.

Tomorrow will be a battle as both teams need these games.

Purple Heys

Add Ursinus (the Ursini?) to a growing list of teams that got put through the SCIAC wringer for their Spring Break.

MIFDad

81 runs in 6 games.  But they are not done!  Oxy tomorrow.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Purple Heys on March 09, 2018, 07:51:38 PM
Add Ursinus (the Ursini?) to a growing list of teams that got put through the SCIAC wringer for their Spring Break.

I am going to go out on a limb and guess California will not be on their spring break destination list moving forward.  What a nightmare trip!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Jack Parkman on March 10, 2018, 06:57:14 AM

I am going to go out on a limb and guess California will not be on their spring break destination list moving forward.  What a nightmare trip!
I think that SCIAC baseball has gotten consistently better and more balanced in the last 15 years I have followed them from afar!

Mike Lehman

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 10, 2018, 01:12:20 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on March 10, 2018, 06:57:14 AM

I think that SCIAC baseball has gotten consistently better and more balanced in the last 15 years I have followed them from afar!

No team are dominating this year. Don't know who will get the bid from SCIAC at this time. Anything can happen..