BB: MIAC: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, February 11, 2006, 02:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommiegun

What a terrible, awfuly, no-good, really bad year the Tommies are having this year.  I haven't been following closely, but what is going on?

BigPoppa

Quote from: tommiegun on April 28, 2015, 11:04:33 AM
What a terrible, awfuly, no-good, really bad year the Tommies are having this year.  I haven't been following closely, but what is going on?

Just a wild guess (and I know nothing about the situation), but sometimes coaches have success with other(former) coach's players. It's possible that Olean's first recruiting class or two did not pan out as expected and they are the upperclassmen right now being depended on for leadership and production.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

therocket21

A lot of the players  the last few years (In which St. Thomas had successful seasons) have been recruited by Olean. (Dorgan, Maher, T. Peterson, Kuzniar, Dylan Thomas, etc...) I think that St. Thomas lost a lot offensively, and they believed they were going to be about 7 or 8 arms deep this year. Their pitching staff has definitely not even come close to living up to the hype that they were receiving at the beginning of the year. I think Olean was even quoted before the season started that he thought it was the most talented pitching staff he has ever had.
So, to answer it; I don't think it is Olean reaping the benefits of Denning's players. I think the players he has recruited (especially the pitchers) have not performed as were expected.

Westside

First look, their 5.87 ERA definitely isn't helping.

It looks like their top two pitchers from last year have taken a huge step back this season. Not sure if that is the other teams improving or if they are fatigued or coming off injuries.

2014: Wendinger - 11 starts, 71 IP, 2.79 ERA
2015: Wendinger - 6 starts, 25.2 IP, 8.42 ERA

2014: Veglahn - 10 starts, 69.2 IP, 1.55 ERA
2015: Veglahn - 6 starts, 41.1 IP, 4.14 ERA
NWC Baseball

therocket21

Quote from: Westside on April 28, 2015, 12:42:13 PM

It looks like their top two pitchers from last year have taken a huge step back this season. Not sure if that is the other teams improving or if they are fatigued or coming off injuries.

I'm not sure what is going on with them as well. It's not a matter of talent, because it was evident last year that both of them have extremely good stuff.It was shown when Veglahn shut out Linfield in the first round World Series last year.

Westside

Quote from: therocket21 on April 28, 2015, 01:28:43 PM
Quote from: Westside on April 28, 2015, 12:42:13 PM

I'm not sure what is going on with them as well. It's not a matter of talent, because it was evident last year that both of them have extremely good stuff.It was shown when Veglahn shut out Linfield in the first round World Series last year.

Agreed, Veglahn's World Series opener was one of the most dominant D3 pitching performances I have seen. I thought Veglahn was as good as PLU's Trevor Lubking was last year, and Lubking was the first D3 player drafted. He definitely has electric stuff, not sure what is going on.
NWC Baseball

MIACLUV

Sad day in Tommie land! Terrible regular season (although it was a decent schedule) and just as the hopes got up yesterday that the ship was righted, WHAM kicked in the nuts by the most inconsistent offense in Tommie memory. Olean has done a great job recruiting, he gets a lot of high end talent players and the transfers that fall in his lap boggles the mind, but what they are when they get there is a what they will be when they leave. Not sure how much development actually happens. Some of these juniors and seniors still have the same bad habits they had as freshman, and the early success that they've had may have made them a little to content.
Good Luck to St. Johns because they will be the only MIAC representative, Bethel & Conc Mo's chances went bye bye when the Central favorites started to fall. Bethel could do some damage and would have gotten a good look without the 0-2 stinker they just put up.
Too bad it would be nice to go to a regional in Wisconsin and NOT have it in Whitewater. 

therocket21

Was Bryce Marquart hurt during the MIAC tournament? I was looking at the box scores and didn't see his name in any of Bethel's games.

BigPoppa

Quote from: MIACLUV on May 10, 2015, 10:33:22 PM
Sad day in Tommie land! Terrible regular season (although it was a decent schedule) and just as the hopes got up yesterday that the ship was righted, WHAM kicked in the nuts by the most inconsistent offense in Tommie memory. Olean has done a great job recruiting, he gets a lot of high end talent players and the transfers that fall in his lap boggles the mind, but what they are when they get there is a what they will be when they leave. Not sure how much development actually happens. Some of these juniors and seniors still have the same bad habits they had as freshman, and the early success that they've had may have made them a little to content.
Good Luck to St. Johns because they will be the only MIAC representative, Bethel & Conc Mo's chances went bye bye when the Central favorites started to fall. Bethel could do some damage and would have gotten a good look without the 0-2 stinker they just put up.
Too bad it would be nice to go to a regional in Wisconsin and NOT have it in Whitewater.

The name of the game at the college level is player development. All kids arrive with some talent, but likely fell to D3 because of some flaws. The programs that develop those kids and polish those flaws best are likely the programs still playing this week. I think Bethel is set to replace St. Thomas as the elite program in the MIAC. A young talented team that is sure to make an impact next year.

Smitty Oom

BigPoppa

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 11, 2016, 03:41:02 PM
Cobbers will win the MIAC this year.

That's a BOLD statement. Care to expand on why you feel that way? I only ask as I know of no other source that would make the same statement. I see the MIAC as a two-team race between Bethel and St. Thomas... all others are scrambling for the final two playoff spots.

therocket21

I have to agree with St. Thomas and Bethel being the teams to beat. I know Concordia can swing it, but do they really have the pitching depth to win the MIAC this year?

D3SportsFan

What are the expectations for St. Mary's this year? Respectable start, so are they equipped to play at the top of the conference all spring?

BigPoppa

Quote from: D3SportsFan on March 25, 2016, 11:15:32 AM
What are the expectations for St. Mary's this year? Respectable start, so are they equipped to play at the top of the conference all spring?

I think they'll compete for a playoff spot, but I can't see them making a run at the top two spots. Still, so many other factors are at play that you never know. If they keep themselves in position and catch a break or two it could be a chance to run to the top.

Jack Parkman

Doesn't look like anyone visits this page but I'll post anyway.  While battling insomnia, I came across a nice field upgrade for Gustavus Adolphus that just finished Phase 1 on their baseball facility.

Old field-  https://gustavus.edu/athletics/facilities/gustavusfield

New Field-  https://athletics.blog.gustavus.edu/2017/11/07/phase-one-of-gustie-baseball-field-renovation-complete/

Looks pretty nice to me and I am sure more and more teams in cold weather areas are moving to turf.